Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 9 Jun 2005, 11:13 (Ref:1323829)   #1
carsreunited
Racer

England
Kettering
carsreunited should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stromberg CD175 Carbs

Anyone on this board capable of stripping these down and rebuilding them with the necessary new bits?

I've got four (maybe 6) that need doing and I'd rather pay a 'friend' than some unknown company.

Failing that, any recommendations?

BTW, four of them are four my 1974 Daimler Double Six and the other two are on a Stag. The Daimler ones have been sitting on the car for 6 years unused and need a good sorting out.

Cheers,

Scott
Dolomite Sprint #86, 2006 CTCRC Post Historic CHAMPIONSHIP
Old 9 Jun 2005, 11:17 (Ref:1323830)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You might want to try Ken Clarke (He's on this board). He knows about Stags so I assume could help.

You can get to him through www.historictouringcars.org
Old 10 Jun 2005, 11:39 (Ref:1324723)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've got a pair of 150's to rebuild for one of my engines . . .are they any good ? worth the hassle ?

or should I stick to twin 40's :-)
Old 10 Jun 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1324762)   #4
carsreunited
Racer

England
Kettering
Everything I hear about Strommys is bad. Alot of people are telling me to convert to SU's. I'd go for 4 d/draught webers if I had the money! Mention of dodgy diaghrams comes up alot with the strommys.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1325920)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
They wer'nt a lot of good when I was in mechanics 25 odd years ago so I can't see them being any better now, the old SU was always more reliable with no wretched diaphram to tear (did regularly) and as for swapping them for twin Webbers......not a good idea.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 08:12 (Ref:1326136)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I assume you have a Rover V8 engine carsreunited, the big advantage with a quad webber set up is a massive increase in the torque band as each cylinder is seeing just one 40 or 45mm choke not a thumping great dustbin sized hole like on a 4 barrell 750 or 850cfm Holly for example. Actually out and out top speed and top end dyno figures would not vary significantly but check out the powerband and you will see (and feel) the difference especially when coming out of slow corners. A mate of mine races as V8 Rover with a quad set up and he has more low down ower than my 5.7 Chevys which at least on the black car can be a bit revvy with not much below 3000 rpm and I certainly could not lap in one gear like he has done on occassions (mind you Chevy truck grade gearboxes don't usually play up like Rover ones so not really a requirement!).
Old 12 Jun 2005, 11:20 (Ref:1326238)   #7
carsreunited
Racer

England
Kettering
Its a 1974 5.3 V12 Jaguar engine (well badged Daimler). Its the more desirable (for race tuning) flat decked type as well. There weren't many made with carbs on the Series 2 as they moved over to the Pre-He fuel injection.BTW, I'm not having the engine race tuned, its a car I've owned for 2 years and never driven because the engine has never fired. Its now running on 9 cylinders but leaking fuel out of one carb on the drivers bank which seems to be the cause of the last 3 cylinders not coming on. It was sitting for the last 7 years and the carbs have been cleaned out as much as possible bar a full strip down.

The other two I'm thinking of reconning are on a standard 3.0 litre Triumph Stag.

I've had an offer from a Dolomite Club friend who is going to show me how to recondition one carb and then leave me to do the other 5. If they need constant fiddling then its best I learn sooner rather than later!

Regards,

Scott
Old 12 Jun 2005, 18:39 (Ref:1326474)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Have fun Scott :-)
Old 22 Jun 2005, 14:42 (Ref:1337259)   #9
maddogf3
Racer

England
maddogf3 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think you will find the main reason for the stromberg's un popularity was only a limited number of needles available which made Su more popular as it still is . I agree with the splitting diaphragm whch also made the SU better value .Regards Martin