Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 May 2004, 05:56 (Ref:983405)   #1
BAZzzzz c
Veteran

United Kingdom
AUCKLAND
BAZzzzz c has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Pukekohe 6 hour endurance race

Doesnt seem to be anywhere else to post this thread so bear with me.

After much searching of NZ Dubx3 sites for more than just the DATE of this fine 6 hour race on 29th May 2004, I suddenly had this idea that you great and knowledgeable Folk out there would know all about it and would share the secret with me. Very poor publicity for such a super event and no wonder the last 6 hour job was poorly attended.

Any-one know what time it all starts and where we buy the ticket and carparking etc?? Help a poor ol' man out in this last attendable Race Meeting before Octoberish. Is it October yet??

The 6 hour Endurance race with a plethora of great N.Zed Drivers and a veritable feast of super motorcars of all sizes and power outputs, pitted together for this multi-class extravaganza is a thing to behold and marvel at. ALWAYS plenty of PASSING (Remember PASSING??) And when the Sun goes down, what a great sight to see the headlights probing and pearcing the night, seemingly gobbling up those smaller but just as relevent cars that can sometimes easilly show some of the 'big boys' a thing or two. All wonderful stuff and if you havnt been to a night race, wrap up warm and give yourself a real TREAT. ...That IS of course, if some kind soul will let us all in on what time to be there and all the other juicy stuff.
Thanks Gals n Boys.
Old 26 May 2004, 09:10 (Ref:983559)   #2
Andrew Anderson
Racer

Andrew Anderson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My understanding is that it is a one day thing, practice on Saturday morning and then at 2:00pm the race kicks off with it concluding at 8:00pm (if my 2 plus 6hr maths is correct)

Don't know about tickets etc but would assume that you could pay at the gate, could always check out...

www.aucklandcarclub.org.nz

...for further details (if there)

Wonder how many NZV8's will tackle the event?
Old 26 May 2004, 09:12 (Ref:983564)   #3
Andrew Anderson
Racer

Andrew Anderson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also heard that GT3's are not allowed to enter this year so it's anyones guess who can win this year.

The Dodson's Skyline is always quick, and other non-GT3 Porsche entry's look solid.
Old 26 May 2004, 09:43 (Ref:983610)   #4
jwk15
Rookie

jwk15 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why are the gt3s not aloud to enter? Andy Booth and Paul Manuell are entering their v8 andgt3s are about the same speed
Old 26 May 2004, 13:16 (Ref:983847)   #5
BAZzzzz c
Veteran

United Kingdom
AUCKLAND
THANKS for taking the time to Reply Andrew. Your sums are about spot on too and make sense. The web site did not reveal anything. I have contacted them though so when I know, I will let you all know and we can form a Posse and turn up in great numbers!!!!!!!!!!
There must be a fair few Drivers kicking their heels a bit at this time of year, just itching to get back on the track again. Lets hope that those that want to, can enter. (Hows YOUR heels A.A.?

Thanks again.
No GT3's, Does that mean no Mike Weeks and Owen (good)Evans, or are they not GT3's. Got a lot to learn but eyes. 00 . in the right place......
Baz C
Old 27 May 2004, 23:04 (Ref:985573)   #6
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jason Liefting and Brock Barry are running a Nissan Sentra GT sponsored by yours truely.
Old 28 May 2004, 00:57 (Ref:985630)   #7
BAZzzzz c
Veteran

United Kingdom
AUCKLAND
Yer blood's worth bottling Evo'. Will keep an eye on 'em and spur them on. Weather looks typical Pukekohe (or is that MotorSport) weather?? Dont care, I will be there, BOOTS ('n Flippers) 'n all..........glub
Bzzzzzz
Old 28 May 2004, 05:16 (Ref:985743)   #8
Cedric
Rookie

New Zealand
Invercargill
Cedric should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
6 hour Puke this weekend

Practice starts at 11:15 for 1 hr and yes race start is 2:00pm. I have a excel sheet with all entries if only i could work out how to put it on here mate.
Old 28 May 2004, 05:25 (Ref:985749)   #9
BAZzzzz c
Veteran

United Kingdom
AUCKLAND
....THANKS Cedric. I appreciate the Info. I shall be there and I will now be on time. There is an entry list on THIS site (10, 10ths) but no other details so well done.

If you saw the Orgastic V8's at Pukekohe last month, THAT is what the weather is like here now. sigh. Dont care though there is always Suday to thaw out, dry out and watch the Super Shell Helix Motorsport on the telly. Konika series stuff and a host of other good Racing. Cheers.
Old 30 May 2004, 09:07 (Ref:987883)   #10
Mr Keener
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
The House of Keen
Mr Keener should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Won by OTR by only a few seconds from the Skyline.Congrads to PM and AB.A few seconds after six hours of racing is pretty special ;
Old 30 May 2004, 20:47 (Ref:988619)   #11
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Keener
Won by OTR by only a few seconds from the Skyline.Congrads to PM and AB.A few seconds after six hours of racing is pretty special ;
Last I heard there was a protest and the position wasn't final.
Old 31 May 2004, 02:23 (Ref:988806)   #12
BAZzzzz c
Veteran

United Kingdom
AUCKLAND
SO. Think yaselves lucky. Still fresh from attending the Race, I set about giving a full report on proceedings via my dew sodden notes taken under great duress on the day. Typed out a positive Tome of events and checked my 'message length' at somewhere near 1260 charactures. Finished off the article with a flurry regarding the good results and the last 1/2 hour Dramas when suddenly, it all just disappeared off the screen, never to be seen again. Dratt. Darn computers eh?? Never mind, You can all give a sigh of great relief because I havnt the energy (or the time ) to repeat the mission.
Suffice to say that it was a good show, Poorly attended by Joe Public (who just WONT get off his chuff if the weather is a bit cool, or he hasnt got a free ticket) but with a good entry list, well presented cars and some super super racing with things like 6 or 7 cars arriving at bends, each with different speeds and braking capabilities, sorting themselves out with marvellous passing moves, (remember PASSING?.)
The last 7 minutes which followed a 20 minute Safety Car period for a frightful though unseen by me, crash involving the Commodore of Richard Ryan and a Porsche I think, (twas dark and I am sorry I could not pick the number). Seems that EVERY Safety and Rescue vehicle was engaged in the clean-up and the Ambulance too though thankfully, with no reports of serious injury.
Spectacular to see so many red and amber flashing lights on the track, coupled with the sillohuette of myriad Crash Crew, (Thankyou) and the slowed procession of those Mighty Racers (about 27 of 'em after 5 1/2 hours,)All doing about 3 minute 30sec laps.!!!!
The final sprint of around 7 minutes (some discrepancy here between the Commentators clock and the Officials clock)Saw the Mighty Orix Holden lead off. The second placed 'Dodson' Skyline was, at this time, 9 seconds behind the Leader. Even in the pitch blackness that is Pukekohe at night, One could 'track' these two cars by spotting the small green roof lamps on both of them. The Skyline was fair flying and seemed to be overtaking its own headlamps in an effort to reel in the quicksilver Holden of Booth,/Manuel,/Anderson. Clock watching and track scrutineering as the time ticked away saw the Lead whittled away and here is the Dodsonmobile scorching past the Start-Finish line with maybe two laps to run and with Quicksilver well in sight. Heavy braking from the Skyline saw glowing wheels and brake parts at white hot temps being spat out between the spokes. Would the BRAKES last out the marathon dash of this Trojan driver? Another equation to add to the other variables. Finally, with the last lap board out, Everybody strained into the darkness to try to pick up the lead car as it strove for the Chequered. Holden or Nissan, Or maybe neither.... This is the very essence that is an Endurance race run in the dark and we were not to be dissapointed. A great finish with a mere 3.89 seconds seperating first and second. Marevellous and the cold cold night became suddenly bearable again. Third went to the # 11 'Station Wagon???? Quattro piloted by Mike Eady,Duane Spurdle and the affable and really rather Special Johnny McIntyre. As if to show just who or what was in charge, the heavens opened up to torrential rain just as the lead cars entered the Parc Ferme, OH. o.k. then, the Start Finish line. Phil Dark rushed to Interview a rather soggy Paul Manuell as the rain tipped it down, Not a fitting reward for these great People that spend their time and hard earned on bringing us and them such live and dangerous 'entertainment'. All alighted their chosen Steeds to meet and greet and share their experiences, seemingly oblivious to the deluge from above. Wonderful wonderful stuff from a host of super Drivers, Sponsors (thankyou) and Organisers. Pity that Joe (Public) chose to stay at home again. Maybe when we lose Events like this due to apathetic attendances, we can all buy videos of OTHER nations race meetings and stay comfortable.
Well done to ALL involved in this, our chosen Sport. Not just the 6 hour Endurance but ALL Motorsport where much much more than just bent Motorcars are a real threat to our Brilliant race Drivers. Each and every Goldarn One of 'em.
But DONT get me started...
And to think.... my last (lost) post was twice as long as this), did I tell ya about the JAG that finished, and the Open Top ESC Sports Mk 4, which sadly I didnt see at the end, and Dean Perkins Holden that did umteen laps without rear lights while the Officials strove to bring him in.? No? well you should have been there then.
Cheers
Bazzzzzz C.
Old 31 May 2004, 02:30 (Ref:988810)   #13
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Yes It was good Baz, and just to add that watching Jason Liefting overtake (Yes I said overtake) a Porsche, in his Nissan Sentra GT 1600 (Yes I said Sentra GT) on the outside (Yes I said outside) of the sweeper at the end of the front straight in the wet was pretty amazing. Good on ya guys.
Old 31 May 2004, 02:34 (Ref:988813)   #14
BAZzzzz c
Veteran

United Kingdom
AUCKLAND
I agree entirely EVO. As promised, I kept a good eye out for that ol' # 40 Sentra and must confess to being very worried when it appeared to have gone awol for a fair amount of time. Suddenly, it was there again and I was stoked.

Thanks for YOUR Input too.
Old 31 May 2004, 02:42 (Ref:988814)   #15
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
I believe the incident near the end went a bit like this, the Ryan Commodore spun, a Jag tried to avoid the spinning Commodore and the Porsche rear ended the Jag, putting the bumper on the back seat in the process.
Old 31 May 2004, 02:56 (Ref:988821)   #16
BAZzzzz c
Veteran

United Kingdom
AUCKLAND
Oh No. I was interested in the Jag too and thought it strange that an English car lol should do so well. (I was secretly smirking actually)I COME from the land of the Allegro!!)

I had noted that the Ryan car was running like a man possessed in those last laps before the stoppage. Would have liked to know his lap times.

I saw just the outline of the porsche on the trailer and it was considerably shortened in the front. Thats how I knew it was a Porsche. (Thinks, must fit an engine into the front of that Porsche before the next race) Did you catch the Number of the Porsche?
Old 31 May 2004, 02:58 (Ref:988822)   #17
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
It was the red one, with the Le Mans style front end I believe, I did not see it either.
Old 31 May 2004, 23:34 (Ref:989737)   #18
pacmstom
Rookie

pacmstom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah guys. It was a fantastic race to right to the finish. The 4sec difference equates to just a 0.02% difference in average speeds when averaged over the 6 hours of the race.

That would keep any statistician happy for hours ...

Twas a pity not more people turned up to enjoy it.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 02:14 (Ref:989801)   #19
BAZzzzz c
Veteran

United Kingdom
AUCKLAND
Agree Pac' and that small amount of time could have so easily been made up in the Pits, The pit process seemed to me to be all too leasurely at just about all of the stalls. Didnt seem to be much urgency with a lot of them. They should maybe take a leaf out of the F.1 pit times.!!!!!

Hey, thanks for attending too... With you, me and Evomike, that just about fills the attendance stats. (the rest there were probably Family and Friends of the Teams )(oh and the free ticket brigade.... Grrrrr)but dont get me started.....
Grin........ Baz c.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 02:27 (Ref:989806)   #20
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Anyone know where we can find the full results?
Old 1 Jun 2004, 03:48 (Ref:989826)   #21
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks to Jill Liefting for the photo. Taken at Saturdays race.
Attached Thumbnails
jase puke 6hr.jpg  
Old 1 Jun 2004, 04:49 (Ref:989848)   #22
BAZzzzz c
Veteran

United Kingdom
AUCKLAND
Quote:
Originally posted by Evomike
Anyone know where we can find the full results?
Try, This site, Home page, Top tool bar, Club circuit, Northern Sports car club etc.

All Finishing stats but I cannot read the r/h side of the spreadsheet... too long to fit my screen......Pity but the times and Order are there.
Best lap time was from the Fab ESC Mk 4 at 1:O5.680. NEAT GUYS.