Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 20 Aug 2018, 19:01 (Ref:3845057)   #151
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
fieldodreams79, can you upload those photos to Wikipedia?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:UploadWizard
Old 20 Aug 2018, 22:52 (Ref:3845093)   #152
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
fieldodreams79, can you upload those photos to Wikipedia?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:UploadWizard
I've never done so and I'd rather not put someone's photos in wikipedia. Not sure its kosher to do so here either but we're all friends here right?
Old 22 Aug 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3845459)   #153
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Oh, I thought the photos were yours.
Old 23 Aug 2018, 00:24 (Ref:3845476)   #154
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Oh, I thought the photos were yours.
No. The track is pretty well secure and probably only accessible by secret passage or hidden dirt entrance. Not gonna tempt getting in while driving a rental.

I did get into another one more local and I need to find those pics that I do own,
Old 24 Aug 2018, 09:42 (Ref:3845719)   #155
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The track is pretty well secure and probably only accessible by secret passage or hidden dirt entrance. Not gonna tempt getting in while driving a rental.
Not sure about secret passages or hidden dirt entrances, but we just wandered in after parking at the driving range.
Old 24 Aug 2018, 12:35 (Ref:3845766)   #156
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
Not sure about secret passages or hidden dirt entrances, but we just wandered in after parking at the driving range.
Sweet! I still have work down that way and I may just stop by and do that while dodging golf balls!

Always a bit nervous wandering into someone else's property in GA...
Old 26 Aug 2018, 20:20 (Ref:3846387)   #157
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
It would be nice then to see the control tower restored to it's former glory (on the outside at least), not just a graffiti covered mess....
+1

I actually saw the tower today, it's now visible from the motorway since there are no trees around it. It looks really sorry for itself, nothing there to hint about its glory days.
Old 26 Aug 2018, 20:35 (Ref:3846389)   #158
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But at least it's there. Like the restored pit buildings at Reims. Unlike Rouen where the locals have literally erased the circuit.....
Old 26 Aug 2018, 21:10 (Ref:3846402)   #159
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
And I would love to visit Clermont-Ferrand. A beastly mini-Nurburgring in a volcano.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/08/...rmont-ferrand/
We drove it earlier this year. It is both impressive and scary.
Old 8 Sep 2018, 17:28 (Ref:3848882)   #160
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
- error -

Last edited by BudLightJaguar; 8 Sep 2018 at 17:47.
Old 9 Sep 2018, 09:32 (Ref:3849008)   #161
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
Not really an abandoned track but a to-be MotoGP venue KymiRing (hopefully in 2020). I visited there yesterday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126204...57671044512257

Last edited by BudLightJaguar; 9 Sep 2018 at 09:55.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 13:08 (Ref:3871630)   #162
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Avus grandstands to be restored/repurposed.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...de-grandstands
Old 20 Dec 2018, 18:49 (Ref:3871690)   #163
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sounds like an excellent plan.
Old 20 Dec 2018, 22:22 (Ref:3871709)   #164
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Great preserve of a historic race track there
Old 20 Dec 2018, 22:45 (Ref:3871714)   #165
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Avus grandstands to be restored/repurposed.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...de-grandstands
Oh HELL yes! Thanks for sharing, Mike!
Old 13 May 2020, 02:50 (Ref:3975823)   #166
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
We'll be adding more to the list after 2020...

Historic Myrtle Beach Speedway to Close After 2020 Season

https://speed51.com/historic-myrtle-...r-2020-season/
Old 26 Jul 2021, 17:29 (Ref:4063285)   #167
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I'm currently writing a piece on Rufforth, once a regular haunt of mine . I first went in 1968 (and walked from York station !),and last visited in about '74 . I returned last week , courtesy of the Gliding Club, and it was an eerie feeling standing on the old back straight. A day or so later I spent a very enjoyable 90minutes with Brian Robinson , whose Lotus Cortina FVA was such a feature of my early visits .

Most will have seen it, but there is a marvellous YouTube film of club racing at Rufforth and Cadwell in September 1969 .
Old 5 Sep 2021, 09:07 (Ref:4072120)   #168
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
At last, Google Maps have updated their aerial view of the former Rockingham Motor Speedway in Corby, UK.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/BzYdqYJRcT1jm7oP7

As you can see, it's now covered in parked cars/vans/trucks etc after having been turned into a "vehicle logistics hub".

The last circuit to be built in England, and the most recent to close. As much as it was a Marmite circuit, I think it's a crying shame that it was closed and sold off just after it started to turn a profit. I quite liked marshalling there.
Old 5 Sep 2021, 13:41 (Ref:4072141)   #169
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'd echo that. It wasn't a challenging circuit like say Silverstone or Brands or Oulton, but the layout always gave us close racing whatever the formula. It's a shame it had to end, but at least it still has another use for now. Just hope it's not gone forever, even if they never race on it again. They should keep this great piece of history
Old 5 Sep 2021, 14:54 (Ref:4072149)   #170
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I liked the Rally they used to run there every December.

Doing fast laps on the Oval was serious fun as well.
Old 6 Sep 2021, 08:26 (Ref:4072274)   #171
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
For me, the sight of any abandoned track is a sad thing. I never went to Rockingham and it doesn't have the history that other abandoned tracks have.

On a separate note, watching the Dutch GP, I was constantly thinking back to when the cars went through Tarzan and the banked turn 3 (which doesn't seem to have a name any more?). I never went there and my experience of it is limited to old videos and countless laps in GPL but looking at what has happened to the rest of the circuit on Circuits of the Past leaves me with that same disappointed feeling at the way it disappeared. I feel the same about Rouen, although that one is strange as there seems to have been a desire there to simply erase the fact that there was ever a circuit there from memory (something I've said before, but the feeling is strong).
Old 6 Sep 2021, 08:55 (Ref:4072280)   #172
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Just re-read the thread - well, quite a bit of it. It's a shame that a lot of the links are now dead.
Old 6 Sep 2021, 10:39 (Ref:4072312)   #173
S griffin
Veteran

Could be worse, look at what happened to abandoned tracks in USA and Australia. Places like Riverside where literally no trace of the circuit exists and only certain street names give a clue to what used to be there.
Old 6 Sep 2021, 20:15 (Ref:4072390)   #174
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post

On a separate note, watching the Dutch GP, I was constantly thinking back to when the cars went through Tarzan and the banked turn 3 (which doesn't seem to have a name any more?).
Hugenholtzbocht.

Turns 9 & 10 seem to be nameless.
Old 12 Nov 2021, 17:09 (Ref:4083065)   #175
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
As you can see, it's now covered in parked cars/vans/trucks etc after having been turned into a "vehicle logistics hub".
Hrm. Interestingly, I've recently seen a photo taken by one of the former full time staff from Rockingham, showing one of the safety trucks parked up on the oval at the exit of turn 4, for a private track day organised either for or by the owners.

I suppose if you have a race circuit, you might as well use it!