Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 22 Jan 2019, 16:49 (Ref:3877738)   #926
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Isn't a GT 39.4 just an ordinary GT40 with flat tyres?
Old 22 Jan 2019, 16:52 (Ref:3877739)   #927
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Back in the day one of our favorite destination was circuit Paul Ricard. Being privateers we use to have our car ready few minutes before heading south. There's no place like an autoroute to run-in a new engine, between two toll gates at night with no other lights than the rear ones…*and a noisy side exhaust of course! Dont ask about insurance and registration numbers…
Old 22 Jan 2019, 16:54 (Ref:3877740)   #928
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Isn't a GT 39.4 just an ordinary GT40 with flat tyres?
If compliant yes!
Old 22 Jan 2019, 16:57 (Ref:3877741)   #929
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
And of course there was the monthly Chequered Flag race to Bristol and Back.

Tell us more. And are you referring to the emporium that used to be in Highgate?
Old 22 Jan 2019, 17:29 (Ref:3877747)   #930
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
You should try Engineering. Quite often find references to 8" x M16 Stud Bolts or the like.

I have some friends who work at BAE, whose work involves both aircraft parts for US companies and of course our European cousins......apparently its fairly important to remember which units you are working in for each Continent's aircraft.......

And of course with very few (Michelin) exceptions, tyres have for years been assessed by Imperial diameter and Metric width......
Old 22 Jan 2019, 17:52 (Ref:3877752)   #931
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I have some friends who work at BAE, whose work involves both aircraft parts for US companies and of course our European cousins......apparently its fairly important to remember which units you are working in for each Continent's aircraft.......

And of course with very few (Michelin) exceptions, tyres have for years been assessed by Imperial diameter and Metric width......

Not to mention TV & computer screens, although over here cm size is starting to be shown more prominently than inches.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 18:06 (Ref:3877753)   #932
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
tyres have for years been assessed by Imperial diameter and Metric width
I seem to recall the ET on our rims is a german reference. An easy reminder for your friends is that in France a pound weights 500 grams while its only 453,6 in UK quite a bargain! Fill an airplane tank is a piece of cake, just bear in mind that UK galon is 4,54 liters, US galon being 3,78 and sometimes 4'04!
Old 22 Jan 2019, 18:07 (Ref:3877754)   #933
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
although over here cm size is starting to be shown more prominently than inches.
Depending on the age of the lady you're talking to, of course!
Old 22 Jan 2019, 18:26 (Ref:3877759)   #934
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Tell us more. And are you referring to the emporium that used to be in Highgate?
It was in Chiswick.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 18:30 (Ref:3877761)   #935
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I seem to recall the ET on our rims is a german reference. An easy reminder for your friends is that in France a pound weights 500 grams while its only 453,6 in UK quite a bargain! Fill an airplane tank is a piece of cake, just bear in mind that UK galon is 4,54 liters, US galon being 3,78 and sometimes 4'04!

Even more confusing because commercial aircraft measure fuel by weight because the volume varies dependent on temperature. The problem, and sometimes confusion and errors, is that a few countries such as the USA still measure the fuel in pounds, whilst most others measure in metric.

The other headache for airline pilots is that a few countries, like Russia and China, I believe, measure flight levels in metric whilst most of the world measure it in feet. Pilots need to be on the ball when transiting between metric and feet airspace! Also fun when you are conversing with the ATC referring to your height in metres, whilst at the same time your nagging wife's voice coming from the control panel in front of you is warning you that you are so and so feet above ground!
Old 22 Jan 2019, 18:35 (Ref:3877763)   #936
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Feeling virtuous.........just finished filing my online tax returns for the (almost defunct) partnership and myself and milady......with 8+ days to go before the deadline......

Should have done it months ago but since I de-registered for VAT there's been less incentive to keep business acounts up to date......not that there's been a whole lot of trade as I spend more time being a houseman these days.....milady says I used to be her toy-boy, but now I'm her carer!

Anyway, as this is the earliest I've completed it for years, I shall raise a glass in celebration tonight
Old 22 Jan 2019, 18:36 (Ref:3877764)   #937
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
It was in Chiswick.

As soon as I pressed the submit button I remembered that they originally started in Chiswick. But later they opened a small showroom on North Hill in Highgate.

But what was the Bristol run, and when were they? I have never heard of them.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 18:48 (Ref:3877767)   #938
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was an unofficial run from Chiswick to Bristol and back. Early 70s. The roads got too busy so it fell out of favour. And too many of the participants got banned.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 18:50 (Ref:3877768)   #939
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Yes Mike it can become even more tricky when in the same country feet and meters are used depending on whether its an airplane, an ultralight or a glider…
Do you remember moons ago someone in the US was wondering why the real take off performances were not strictly the same as the theoretical ones. It took a while before another guy suggested that the average weight of a pax supposed to be around 75 kilos was "slightly" different from the reality… Hopefully the trim is automatic!
Old 22 Jan 2019, 18:55 (Ref:3877770)   #940
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Your Cheesweek sounds like a cannonball. Can't remember who here asked about your "Beaujeaulais nouveau race", does it still exist or do you use the beverage to feed your mopeds engines? Or scooters…
Old 22 Jan 2019, 19:05 (Ref:3877771)   #941
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a nice talk with Derek Drinkwater on Instagram (my only concession to Social Media) about racing.He says he hoped to get Le Monstre racing this year,maybe with the Stirling Moss Trophy.That would be EPIC.Hope he doesnt mind me sharing this news.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 20:17 (Ref:3877780)   #942
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
You do realise this is social media?
Old 22 Jan 2019, 20:21 (Ref:3877781)   #943
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Gerard. If was years ago. Sadly of course the last owner of Chequered Flag died at Donington. He was one of our number on here.

In its heyday the Chequered Flag Garage was famous for Lotus and hot Minis.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 20:29 (Ref:3877784)   #944
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You do realise this is social media?
I did think that when writing it...
Old 22 Jan 2019, 20:36 (Ref:3877787)   #945
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We need more anti-social media ....

I mean anti social-media ....

... or maybe not.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 21:09 (Ref:3877793)   #946
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Gerard. If was years ago. Sadly of course the last owner of Chequered Flag died at Donington. He was one of our number on here.

Also rallying with a Lancia Stratos & Fiat 131 Abarth.
Old 22 Jan 2019, 21:40 (Ref:3877797)   #947
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Regarding getting measurements wrong, I believe that when the Hubble Space Telescope was first tried out it was discovered that parts that were made in England and parts that were made "over the pond" used different inches and they couldn't get it to focus. I seem to remember it had to be repaired in space ? that must have cost a bob or two
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Jan 2019, 21:54 (Ref:3877801)   #948
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Regarding getting measurements wrong, I believe that when the Hubble Space Telescope was first tried out it was discovered that parts that were made in England and parts that were made "over the pond" used different inches and they couldn't get it to focus. I seem to remember it had to be repaired in space ? that must have cost a bob or two
The call-out fee alone would have been pricey...
Old 22 Jan 2019, 22:03 (Ref:3877804)   #949
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Changing the subject, I see Patisserie Valerie has lurched into administration.

Such a shame with 1,000s of jobs at risk.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 22 Jan 2019, 22:14 (Ref:3877806)   #950
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

And, of course......Geminis