Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 26 Mar 2018, 09:07 (Ref:3810844)   #1
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa 24 Hours 2018

I'm considering attending this event. It would be as a starter to my wife and I's summer holiday. We'd be in our campervan and would probably aim to get to the circuit Friday night or Saturday morning. I'd be grateful for any information previous attendees could pass on.
Can you return to your vehicle during the race? We are self contained in our van so would be happy in a car park if it was handy to the track.
I've heard that paddock tickets are handy to have as well?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 09:23 (Ref:3811182)   #2
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went for the first time 2 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the event - hotel booked again for this year.

Great atmosphere, easy access to all parts of the track and it appeared that you could pretty much come and go as you wanted to. Very relaxed security once in the circuit even spent a fair bit of time in the pit lane on the Tuesday before the race.

There is also a bar/café with excellent food above the pits looking down onto the Bus Stop chicane and pit entry that is well worth spending time at - gives a great view of the circuit - bit crowded on Saturday evening but appeared easy to get into any other time. Plenty of other food outlets, bars and shopping opportunities.

Paddock access is free, I believe, with every full entry ticket and definitely worth taking the time to explore. Grandstands are also free and very easy to move around once the race has been running for an hour or so. If you want to see the start for the stands or from the top of Eau Rouge then you will need to be there pretty early but after that we found it very easy to move around.

Be prepared for some long walks though - the walk from the paddock area past Eau Rouge and up to Les Combes is a long constant up hill stretch and not to be done too often!

It is also possible to park up on the outside of Les Combes and gain access to the top of circuit - great view at night of the run back down the hill if you cross under the track and walk a little further into the forest.

The fans that stay for the whole of the 24 Hours are also there for a party so be prepared for some fairly boisterous evenings and nights, especially the Saturday after the music entertainment. Despite this we saw absolutely no issues at all and everybody appeared really friendly with very relaxed security inside the circuit that made for a very pleasant event.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 09:47 (Ref:3811186)   #3
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This year's event is going to be a corker!

The event starts the SRO Speed Week during the weekend before (21/22 July) with British GT; GT Sports Club and other events.

On the Wednesday afternoon (25 July) is the not-to-be-missed parade of cars and drivers from the circuit to Spa town. Get up close and personal with all the cars and drivers.

The 24 Hours starts on Saturday afternoon (28 July) with loads of off-piste attractions too eg a rock concert.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 17:22 (Ref:3811301)   #4
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the info. It looks well worth the trip as we're planning on going onto Germany and perhaps down through Switzerland to Italy. We won't be able to cross until a day or two before race due to my wife's work, but still should be good weekend.
Old 11 Apr 2018, 06:09 (Ref:3814797)   #5
piet
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
piet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there are dedicated spots for campers at the P1 (see pdf in link below)
close to the main gate/paddock/and eau rouge!

http://www.spa-francorchamps.be/site...ting-point.pdf
Old 11 Apr 2018, 07:48 (Ref:3814809)   #6
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregUK View Post
The event starts the SRO Speed Week during the weekend before (21/22 July) with British GT; GT Sports Club and other events.
The GT4 European Series ;-)
Old 11 Apr 2018, 09:05 (Ref:3814822)   #7
GregUK
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel ten Caat View Post
The GT4 European Series ;-)
Yes, that too!

(and a cracking gridful of cars it was at Zolder!!)

Old 18 May 2018, 16:12 (Ref:3823275)   #8
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Stellar looking Castrol NSX entered for Spa. No word on drivers yet, but this livery has to make it a fan favorite.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...h-nsx-gt3.html

Old 19 May 2018, 17:20 (Ref:3823410)   #9
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Getting to your car during the race is no problem. To be honest, you can park for free in Francorchamps about five minutes up the hill from the circuit if you get there early enough.

Great event, it's a lot of fun and far less hectic and crammed than Le Mans or Nurburgring.
Old 19 May 2018, 21:07 (Ref:3823431)   #10
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Stellar looking Castrol NSX entered for Spa. No word on drivers yet, but this livery has to make it a fan favorite.
Being a fan favorite is not enough to perform.
Old 20 May 2018, 09:28 (Ref:3823516)   #11
Mountain Man
Racer

Mountain Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would definitely recommend a trip. I would recommend the paddock ticket over a normal one, as much as anything because it gives you useful shortcuts and some extra viewing spots. I've only known them check on Saturday / Sunday.

Specifically you can access above the pits, both F1 and old. They are both great views, and the former a useful spot when it rains. Personally I always like to make a visit to the restaurant overlooking the final chicane, its not the cheapest (e18 or so for a buffet) but its a stunning view and I must admit, the comfy seats and drinkable coffee was just what I needed at 7am on Sunday last year.

I would echo poster 2, basically no where at Spa is flat, everywhere is up and down and you'll end up walking miles. All the grandstands are free, and apart from the start of the race, you wont have any trouble getting in them. Equally keep an eye for the fireworks about 11pm on Saturday.

Compared to somewhere like Silverstone, its light years better as circuit experience. Its easy to walk round, albeit long, and there are loads of proper photo gaps in the fence to watch from.

The only place you cant watch from, unless I'm missing something, is Campus and Stavelot, the path goes from Fagnes, under the circuit to the outside of Courbe Paul Frere
Old 20 May 2018, 09:33 (Ref:3823517)   #12
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You can watch Campus and Stavelot from the outside of the track. Campus also from the inside.
Old 20 May 2018, 10:32 (Ref:3823523)   #13
Mountain Man
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
You can watch Campus and Stavelot from the outside of the track. Campus also from the inside.
Where from?

Whenever I've been, I've got the gravel car park at Fagnes, gone along, but its fenced and the path leads down to the path past the karting under the track.

On the outside, isnt it just an entrance? Can the public to get the outside the circuit for viewing?
Old 21 May 2018, 16:23 (Ref:3823781)   #14
outnumbered
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading
outnumbered should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recently went to Spa for the first time for WEC. One thing that slightly surprised me was the almost total lack of toilets. OK, there's a lot of woods, which seem to be used as a replacement. But does the circuit install any additional facilities for the 24 hours ?
Old 21 May 2018, 17:09 (Ref:3823796)   #15
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
The manufacturer diversity will probably the best ever in the GT3 era at the 24 hours of spa in 2018. All of the makes from the past couple years will still be there. This year you extend that by entries from Lexus and Acura.
Old 21 May 2018, 17:11 (Ref:3823797)   #16
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Hope its not geo blocked in the USA. For the first time ever this year races on the NISMO TV youtube channel are geoblocked. Monza was not blocked, but Silversonte was? Whats up with that!. Proxfree is going to get used more by me now.
Old 21 May 2018, 18:23 (Ref:3823810)   #17
Mountain Man
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
I recently went to Spa for the first time for WEC. One thing that slightly surprised me was the almost total lack of toilets. OK, there's a lot of woods, which seem to be used as a replacement. But does the circuit install any additional facilities for the 24 hours ?
I can't say I've ever really noticed. There are a number, although IIRC not all were open until Saturday. I guess when you get out the back of the circuit there aren't many, only the ones on the hill.
Old 22 May 2018, 12:44 (Ref:3823946)   #18
GregUK
Racer

Old 24 May 2018, 14:35 (Ref:3824401)   #19
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Who would have thought a few months back that Aston Martin, Jaguar, and Lexus could be considered serious contenders to win the Spa 24. I think you can say that now.
Old 24 May 2018, 19:52 (Ref:3824457)   #20
Jameson
Racer

Jameson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Who would have thought a few months back that Aston Martin, Jaguar, and Lexus could be considered serious contenders to win the Spa 24. I think you can say that now.
Agreed! Aston and Lexus were very good at Silverstone and both teams have excellent driver line-ups with former Spa winners onboard (Martin, Palttala, Ortelli at least).

However, I don't think that Jaguar will run in Spa. I remember reading about a part-season program, which ends before Spa. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe it has changed.
Old 25 May 2018, 00:09 (Ref:3824478)   #21
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post

Will you put your money in any of them? Risk-free bets are a great source of matched betting profit.
Old 25 May 2018, 03:33 (Ref:3824496)   #22
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Single class endurance racing must be the worst idea ever.
Old 25 May 2018, 09:59 (Ref:3824524)   #23
GregUK
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
Agreed! Aston and Lexus were very good at Silverstone and both teams have excellent driver line-ups with former Spa winners onboard (Martin, Palttala, Ortelli at least).
Ortelli would do well to remember that if the Safety Car has its lights on, you follow it wherever it goes.

Last year Ortelli was the only car on the track, merrily heading to La Source, whilst the Safety Car lead the rest of the pack down the pit lane.

Old 25 May 2018, 18:53 (Ref:3824618)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
Single class endurance racing must be the worst idea ever.
Why?
Old 25 May 2018, 23:30 (Ref:3824660)   #25
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
@EffectiveSprinkles is selling champagne or trophies...