Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jul 2017, 12:21 (Ref:3752132)   #26
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would he go to Renault? They have proven this year that they can only build one car. Palmer is over driving as he hasn't had a car that runs reliably over the week end. He is always playing catch up.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 12:25 (Ref:3752133)   #27
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Renault are in F1 to sell more road cars, and I dont think Palmer is helping do that, half way through the season and still no points, I never rated him........I think its only a matter of time before Renault replace him with the driver skill and marketing power of Robert Kubica, it will be a PR fairy-tale story that Renault would love to show the world......as for Sainz, he aint nothing special, a solid driver for sure, but he has a long way to go yet considering he is only 22......Renault need an experienced driver that can grab the car by the scruff of the kneck and develop and drag it to performances its not supposed to be doing......Kubica all the way
Old 17 Jul 2017, 15:33 (Ref:3752168)   #28
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Or Alonso...he would grab it by the scruff of the neck.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 15:51 (Ref:3752175)   #29
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I would like to see this happen..Palmer has had his share of bad luck but I am afraid he is not up to the job..
Old 17 Jul 2017, 16:42 (Ref:3752192)   #30
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
while i would like to see Sainz get a promotion is this year's Renault really a promotion/step up? an exit deal for next year maybe but surely not at the moment.

also, while i dont highly rate Palmer i am curious to see what he can do now that the pressure is really mounting. if he cant get it together i am assuming he will be out for next year with no real option for another seat.

Palmer saving his seat and F1 future is becoming for me one of the more interesting story lines for this season imo.

i would like to see how it plays out.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 17:05 (Ref:3752197)   #31
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Palmer has been a bit unlucky not to have scored at least one point in the last five races, he's been close, but things haven't been going his way
Old 17 Jul 2017, 17:07 (Ref:3752198)   #32
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
while i would like to see Sainz get a promotion is this year's Renault really a promotion/step up? an exit deal for next year maybe but surely not at the moment.

also, while i dont highly rate Palmer i am curious to see what he can do now that the pressure is really mounting. if he cant get it together i am assuming he will be out for next year with no real option for another seat.

Palmer saving his seat and F1 future is becoming for me one of the more interesting story lines for this season imo.

i would like to see how it plays out.
I agree, unlike most on here i rate Jolyon quite highly, i hope he is still in place for Hungary, a track he has gone well at before in junior formula, and gets a fair crack with all the shiny new bits bolted onto the car.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 17:31 (Ref:3752202)   #33
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
I agree, unlike most on here i rate Jolyon quite highly, i hope he is still in place for Hungary, a track he has gone well at before in junior formula, and gets a fair crack with all the shiny new bits bolted onto the car.
I remember him in Singapore 2013 chasing down and overtaking Nasr for the win. He looked good and when he won the series he seemed to be last of the late brakers overtaking everyone. But he has not delivered in 18 months (plus free practices). Gp2/F2 has gone down in my estimation a bit and shows Vandoorne, Gasly and Leclerc it ain't easy jumping up to F1. I reckon Palmer will see out the year and then be replaced by Sainz
Old 18 Jul 2017, 11:04 (Ref:3752365)   #34
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Sainz is going to Renault from the next round in Hungary???

We'll have to wait a bit longer to see Sainz in a Renault I think. 2018 is a more realistic chance of that happening.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 13:23 (Ref:3752403)   #35
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Renault have come and said Palmer is staying for the Hungaroroing. So it's not going to happen
Old 18 Jul 2017, 14:48 (Ref:3752417)   #36
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Renault have come and said Palmer is staying for the Hungaroroing. So it's not going to happen
...until after the Hungaroring.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 17:23 (Ref:3752479)   #37
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I was grimly amused whilst he was attacking the press for rumourmongering, he studiously omitted to say he was staying until the end of the season.

And I've no problem keeping Palmer until the end of the season if it was me. He's no Max Verstappen but he has been dogged by some pretty nasty luck, so he deserves to complete the season.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 11:46 (Ref:3752771)   #38
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I was grimly amused whilst he was attacking the press for rumourmongering, he studiously omitted to say he was staying until the end of the season.

And I've no problem keeping Palmer until the end of the season if it was me. He's no Max Verstappen but he has been dogged by some pretty nasty luck, so he deserves to complete the season.
If it was my decision I'd leave Palmer in for Hungary, see how Kubica gets on at the test then make a call for the rest of the season. If Kubica has a good test stick him in the car for the rest of the year (assuming he can get a licence). If Kubica is closer to Hulkenberg than Palmer sign Kubica up for next year, if he's not close then go for Sainz for next year. Either way Palmer is out on his arse next year - it just hasn't happened for him.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 17:58 (Ref:3752847)   #39
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Robert can do the post-Hungary test, then he will have the mileage needed to get his license back. I sure hope that'll be enough to put his butt in that seat.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 18:21 (Ref:3752851)   #40
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i heard a rumour that he was pencilled in a while back for a free practice session at monza?
Old 21 Jul 2017, 17:13 (Ref:3753379)   #41
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
If it was my decision I'd leave Palmer in for Hungary, see how Kubica gets on at the test then make a call for the rest of the season. If Kubica has a good test stick him in the car for the rest of the year (assuming he can get a licence). If Kubica is closer to Hulkenberg than Palmer sign Kubica up for next year, if he's not close then go for Sainz for next year. Either way Palmer is out on his arse next year - it just hasn't happened for him.
While I think the regulations for superlicense are black and white for a new driver, I think discretion will play the better part here and Robert shouldn't have any issues getting a superlicense asap if he wants it.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 04:49 (Ref:3753465)   #42
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i heard a rumour that he was pencilled in a while back for a free practice session at monza?
Bloody awesome if the pencil marks turn to ink.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 30 Jul 2017, 06:19 (Ref:3755822)   #43
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In regards to the original thread subject, if Honda ends up in the tail of the '18 STR, would Mr Sainz be running to the exit even harder??
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 2 Aug 2017, 14:39 (Ref:3756957)   #44
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
As it currently stands, and the test isn't finished yet, Kubica has posted a time only half a second off Palmers quali time last weekend. Maybe it will be Robert, not Carlos to Renault ?
Old 2 Aug 2017, 14:51 (Ref:3756959)   #45
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sincerely hope not. That said isn't it sad that someone with as little practice as he has had, can drive one of these cars competitively? Just demonstrates howw dumbed down Formula 1 is these days.
Old 2 Aug 2017, 15:06 (Ref:3756967)   #46
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Sincerely hope not. That said isn't it sad that someone with as little practice as he has had, can drive one of these cars competitively? Just demonstrates howw dumbed down Formula 1 is these days.
Or maybe how good Kubica might still be?

Richard
Old 2 Aug 2017, 15:10 (Ref:3756968)   #47
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not really, the rookies have been poutting in some impressive times too.
Old 2 Aug 2017, 17:16 (Ref:3756983)   #48
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I hope this is said in jest. The cars are way more complicated than they have ever been. When similar systems were rolled out in WEC it caused the greats like McNish and Tom K to retire. Whilst I am not saying things are better now, they certainly are not more dumbed down.
Old 2 Aug 2017, 18:42 (Ref:3756996)   #49
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Not really, the rookies have been poutting in some impressive times too.
McWhirter was, relatively to the normal drivers, more impressive, but it is testing.

There is more than you can do to get people 90% of the way there nowadays with the simulators etc. Also it takes a lot of schooling to just use one of these things.

Whatever, that last 1% is still bloody hard
Old 2 Aug 2017, 23:05 (Ref:3757079)   #50
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I hope this is said in jest. The cars are way more complicated than they have ever been. When similar systems were rolled out in WEC it caused the greats like McNish and Tom K to retire. Whilst I am not saying things are better now, they certainly are not more dumbed down.
Peter was referring to the handling and car control, not the complications of the various black boxes.

The handling and vices of the cars are benign, which prevents really skilled drivers exploiting faster times available to really on the edge machinery.