Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 10 Jan 2009, 10:38 (Ref:2368778)   #51
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 11:23 (Ref:2368800)   #52
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redturner37
Wasn't this something to do with the Rover touring cars being caught out with Volvo rockers. ?,
Did'nt they also have 'bent' (literally) back axles with internal hidden CV joints to take up the induced camber. Don't you love all this talk on here about sorting out dodgy cars in historics when all this crap went on in period!

Last edited by Al Weyman; 10 Jan 2009 at 11:25.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 11:28 (Ref:2368803)   #53
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Someone came in to the work shop before Christmas and told me a story about 50 cars being built for homolgation so RAC could check them. When the cars returned back to Rover there was only 49.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 11:30 (Ref:2368804)   #54
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Isn't there a story about the Gothenberg Taxi from the Group A era too?
Old 10 Jan 2009, 13:43 (Ref:2368854)   #55
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
What they left the meter running while it was being checked and charged the bill to the FIA?
Old 10 Jan 2009, 14:10 (Ref:2368867)   #56
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nope, something about a few in a wharehouse in the US but nobody (allegedly) ever saw the required number altogether in one location, before the homologation papers were issued.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 14:27 (Ref:2368872)   #57
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The Metro 6R4 fiasco was even funnier, as when the powers that be looked into how many were made, there were quite a few that had "dissapeared"

Seeing that this is the "Lighter Side" thread, I was looking for my pension book and found this picture. http://www.flickr.com/photos/16345037@N03/3184080083/
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 10 Jan 2009, 14:43 (Ref:2368874)   #58
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
So is that still the same Anglia used today. Brilliant.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 14:56 (Ref:2368882)   #59
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Of course, I just fitted a windscreen gave it a bit of P38 and a lick of paint !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 10 Jan 2009, 17:17 (Ref:2368918)   #60
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You've not aged a day, Gordon!
Old 10 Jan 2009, 17:46 (Ref:2368929)   #61
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
You've not aged a day, Gordon!
O yeah . and by the way and I've signed as a test driver for Mclaren next year !
Old 10 Jan 2009, 18:43 (Ref:2368950)   #62
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Isn't there a story about the Gothenberg Taxi from the Group A era too?
Yes .... Volvo , in their innocence , and before they threw in their lot with the Tartan T*ss*r himself in the BTCC some years later , homologated a second evolution variant of their 240T Group A car . At that time , the regulations were that to homologate a Group A car , it was necessary to have made/sold 5000 of the competing model ( which in this case was the 240T itself ) in any one calendar year . To homologate a variant , it was necessary to have produced/sold 500 of those variants within a calendar year .

Volvo made 500 240T E2s , and presented them for FIA inspection in North America . All of these cars were complete , and could have been driven . However , after the inspection had been completed and the homologation agreed , 477 of the 500 were subsequently stripped of the homologation kit , and sold as base spec. models . If there is a controversy , it can only revolve around the question of whether the regulations demanded that 500 only had to be built , or had to have been offered for sale , or were actually sold .

In contrast , the TWR Rovers were bent . The use of Volvo rockers in the motors in place of the standard , legal , inferior , pressed-steel production item constituted wilful , blatant , and obvious cheating . Dammit , if it wasn't obvious , how on earth could a RACSMA scrutineer ever have discovered it ?
Old 10 Jan 2009, 18:58 (Ref:2368953)   #63
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I worked for Volvo as a mechanic in the late 70's to early 80's the dealer was a sponsor and bought my tyres but i seem to recall the i was forever changing camshafts and rockers on that horrible V6 engine. They were rubbish.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 19:35 (Ref:2368969)   #64
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
PRV (Peugeout/Renault/Volvo) V6 . Not sure , though , that that was the Turnip Tank motor from which the rockers used in the bent TWR Rovers were sourced . Was there also any question of a more advantageous rocker ratio ?

Perhaps someone more enlightened could advise !
Old 10 Jan 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2368971)   #65
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
and I've signed as a test driver for Mclaren next year
Would that be for the three or the four wheeled version of the buggy ?
Old 10 Jan 2009, 20:53 (Ref:2369006)   #66
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown
Would that be for the three or the four wheeled version of the buggy ?
The four wheeler at my age
Old 10 Jan 2009, 21:05 (Ref:2369009)   #67
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
The four wheeler at my age
I thought Bathchairs only had three?

No ones mentioned the Carbon Fibre bulkheads of 95.Only discovered when a scrutineer was pratting about with a magnet.

Last edited by terence; 10 Jan 2009 at 21:09.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 21:44 (Ref:2369033)   #68
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
And what aboout the 9/10ths scale model version or was that a myth?
Old 10 Jan 2009, 21:52 (Ref:2369038)   #69
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Steady on Terrance this the "lighter side "
Old 11 Jan 2009, 10:52 (Ref:2369282)   #70
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, even TWR can't take credit for that, I guess it was Smokey Yunick that started that trick way back, as well as other tricks like filling the roll cage with fuel (PRAY you don't have an accident!).

I seem to recall a thread on here about 'creative car prep'...

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
And what aboout the 9/10ths scale model version or was that a myth?
Old 11 Jan 2009, 11:12 (Ref:2369302)   #71
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, James, I think that there was a thread in the History forum on that. I'll need to check but if memory serves, the downsize is fable and no more.

James, since this is the general chat thread, are you and your fellow Alfa boys going to do the AMOC team races this year?

Last edited by John Turner; 11 Jan 2009 at 11:50.
Old 11 Jan 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2369317)   #72
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer
Well, even TWR can't take credit for that, I guess it was Smokey Yunick that started that trick way back, as well as other tricks like filling the roll cage with fuel (PRAY you don't have an accident!).

James
I seem to remember that same trick with Nitrous in someones car !
Old 11 Jan 2009, 12:48 (Ref:2369343)   #73
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I found out last week that a sports 2000 racer some time in the past had his fire extiguisher bottle filled with Nitrous the end if the pipe was directed on top of the carb and hey ho instant power at the end of a button.
Old 11 Jan 2009, 13:25 (Ref:2369364)   #74
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yeah I have heard of the Rover with Nitros in the rollcage by someone who should have known better, think it was out in ModProds with us, used to suddenly have an enourmous amount of pace then go bang, funny that!
Old 12 Jan 2009, 07:14 (Ref:2369747)   #75
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
I found out last week that a sports 2000 racer some time in the past had his fire extiguisher bottle filled with Nitrous the end if the pipe was directed on top of the carb and hey ho instant power at the end of a button.
Sports 2000? That was done in Indy qualifying...