Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 May 2008, 16:45 (Ref:2213219)   #1
1800TISA
Rookie

European Union
Munich, Germany
1800TISA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oldtimer-GP - 500km Marathon Nordschleife pre 65 App.K - Aug. 8th

Hello,

I am wondering what you think about the 500km Marathon Race on the Nurburgring Nordschleife during the Oldtimer Grand Prix in August?

The format this year will be a bit different to the previous years. The race will be for pre 1965 GT and Touring cars to FIA App. K and on historic Dunlop Racing tyres only. Cars up to 1971 will do a separate 100min race. In addition, the race will be on the whole circuit (Nordschleife + GP) and the GP pit lane will be used.

I hope this year the weather will be a lot better than last year, which was a total disaster.

This is my first post. I always love watching historic racing.

Kind regards,

Stephan

--------------
Germany
Old 27 May 2008, 16:50 (Ref:2213228)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Think this should be attached to Oldtimer Thread.Note Pre War race has been abandoned after 20 years
Old 27 May 2008, 17:12 (Ref:2213243)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stephan,welcome to 10/10ths. The 500k is probably[for me] the best race of its type,it has a special place!. Hopefully I'll be there.
Old 27 May 2008, 17:33 (Ref:2213256)   #4
1800TISA
Rookie

European Union
Munich, Germany
I was not aware of the other Oldtimer thread. Maybe the admin can move the posts.

Luckily, pre-war cars will not be abandoned completely this year, as there will be a regularity run for selected cars (see: www.ogpracing.de)

In my opinion, the biggest problem is that the modern F1 track layout, pits and grandstands at the Nurburgring kill all the atmosphere for those historic cars. When spectating, I am always wondering, what it feels like in an pre-war car going down the pit straight flat out in top gear just to the moment, where you have to brutally brake down the car for the "Mercedes Arena". Shifting down to nearly first gear with the unsynchronized gearboxes and operating the cable brakes (i.e. Bugatti) to excess must be a truly pain for the driver/ car owner who loves his old material?

Stephan

Last edited by 1800TISA; 27 May 2008 at 17:36.
Old 27 May 2008, 19:54 (Ref:2213392)   #5
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I plan to do the 500km - looks like a fantastic race and a great trial run for anyone doing the Spa 6 hours
Old 27 May 2008, 20:03 (Ref:2213399)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good on you Roger,you wont regret doing it,really is a great event on a great circuit[fog allowing]!
Old 27 May 2008, 20:10 (Ref:2213405)   #7
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Hell of a trial for Spa,Roger.This is a very real track and one of the great Historic races on its own,certainly on a par with 6 Hrs.Do both and you pass all the Tests.
We will miss it this year due to being in Cheshire for Woodgood of the north the same weekend
Old 27 May 2008, 20:43 (Ref:2213435)   #8
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess my approach is that if you don't run a car for 6 hours how do you know it will run for 6 hours?
Old 27 May 2008, 21:22 (Ref:2213471)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Roger,I always used to do the Three Hundred Kilometer,Spa Six Hour etc.The Three Hundred never seemed to be long enough because of the driver change,that always included the GP circuit which was a shame because you tend to relax a bit on the GP section.Four years on the trott,they were very good years.
Old 27 May 2008, 21:36 (Ref:2213484)   #10
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

It includes GP Track this year?
Old 28 May 2008, 03:35 (Ref:2213610)   #11
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Yes
Old 28 May 2008, 05:31 (Ref:2213631)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
At least you get to use a Garage !.
Old 28 May 2008, 07:37 (Ref:2213669)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Is there a link to this,I cant find one.I would like to know if the 500 is split between two days or if it's all on the one day.
The regularity looks fun John,I've often thought it must be pretty difficult to maintain a constant speed around there.I have done quite a bit of regularity test's in different rallies,but in something pre-war,must be a proper test.
Old 28 May 2008, 07:51 (Ref:2213679)   #14
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Terry,Its blast all way round and be regular for the last 100 meters.It's not a real one. The Pre War race was one of the best until about five years ago when the locals threw their dummies due to Brits winning race and failed to accept certain entries.This made sure they won but that reduced entry from 40 to 20.Even the locals got fed up and the race faded away.A pity as it was one of the best but has had its time.We may have some spare rooms at Norschliffe Hotel.
Old 28 May 2008, 08:03 (Ref:2213686)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Ideally there needs to be a pre-war revival John,lord knows there are enough out there!.I remember a couple of years ago the regularity was one by a certain young lady in an SSK,quite a site!. If I get to do the 500 I'll be staying with friends up at the start of Dotingerhoer, you at the Pistonklauser.?
Old 28 May 2008, 08:19 (Ref:2213696)   #16
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The Hotel is at Adenau Bridge,it is superb and the parties held there a few years ago were superb.
Old 28 May 2008, 08:36 (Ref:2213704)   #17
1800TISA
Rookie

European Union
Munich, Germany
Hello Terence,

the race will be all on Friday August 8th. Practice in the morning and 500km race in the afternoon. Not much time in between to fix any problem!

The link is www.ogpracing.de , go to "Nennungen/Ausschreibungen" and you will find the regulations, entry forms and timetable. I think entry closes June 6th, the cost is about 850EUR for the Marathon. Not that you will get a wrong impression, I have nothing to do or any relation with the organizers.

Steph
Old 28 May 2008, 08:44 (Ref:2213711)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Many thanks Stephan,I just looked on the Ring site but there is no info on there yet.Oh,and I must remember how to spell,Dottinger Hohe!.
John,we used to always stay at the Blau Echer[Spelling?] The owner was great,very free with the Schnapps,we had to try the five different types on offer before he would allow us to go to bed,we needed the sleep because of the race next day!!
Old 28 May 2008, 10:11 (Ref:2213793)   #19
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quite a few years ago I had the pleasure of meeting some German people at the MGCC weekend at Silverstone.The Father of a small boy told me how much his son liked my car,so I gave him a little run out in it.That was obviously the right thing to do because those people became very good friends,the small boy? he has just opened this thread! Very small world.
Old 17 Jun 2008, 18:59 (Ref:2231338)   #20
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Think this should be attached to Oldtimer Thread.Note Pre War race has been abandoned after 20 years
Actually I was looking today at the program to see what other races I might be able to do and read the regulations for the Pre-War race. It looks interesting - basically a regularity where to quote the regulations:

"The participant , in his first round, sets his levelling time, which represents the basis for the following rounds. Winner is the team with the lowest number of penalty points. In case of tie the elder year of manufacture of the car will decide."

Is anyone else going to do any other races? I'm hoping to get an entry for the Cortina in HTGT although timing of their races is rather unsociable!
Old 17 Jun 2008, 19:06 (Ref:2231346)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Keep up Roger,John and myself have discussed this earlier.
It is an interesting event though,if you do come along,have a look around at some of the German cars,Merc SSks etc,The event was won by a 19yr old girl in her fathers SSK in 2003.
Old 17 Jun 2008, 19:27 (Ref:2231367)   #22
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Unfortunately I have nothing pre-war unless we are talking about Gulf War in which case all my cars would apply!

I was reading back through this thread to see what else I may be able to do and found the reference to no pre-war race when I was sure I'd spotted something in the regs.
Old 17 Jun 2008, 20:38 (Ref:2231422)   #23
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Its still "One" to do though.At least in August the low cloud should not interrupt proceedings!!
Old 17 Jun 2008, 20:48 (Ref:2231434)   #24
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
same timing as 2007 and we all remember!
Old 17 Jun 2008, 20:57 (Ref:2231446)   #25
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Its OK,I was'nt ignoring you Roger.