Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Dec 2010, 14:39 (Ref:2801442)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT1 End of season review

(Sorry forgot to add a poll! )
That's the end of the first season of the new GT1 World Championship. All ten rounds done, Vitaphone are the teams and drivers champions and Aston Martin is the manufacturer champions. So here's a simple question then.

Has it worked as a world championship?

(Or is it just the simple presence of Stephane Ratel that does something to people?)

Here's the first part of what Endurance Info thinks.

Last edited by I Rosputnik; 8 Dec 2010 at 14:46.
Old 8 Dec 2010, 16:49 (Ref:2801529)   #2
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
It they keep with 70% of the races in Europe, I'd hate to hear them call it "world championship".
Old 8 Dec 2010, 16:58 (Ref:2801534)   #3
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
It they keep with 70% of the races in Europe, I'd hate to hear them call it "world championship".
Well, it looks like there'll be 6 European rounds and 4 fly-aways next year...

And then: As long as 100% of the teams are European (and already complaining about travel costs) an even higher ratio of foreign vs home rounds seems hardly feasible.
Old 8 Dec 2010, 19:31 (Ref:2801622)   #4
cancianr
Rookie

Canada
cancianr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After finally being able to watch the races on Speed TV the last few weeks, I really enjoy the races and think it can be feasible for the short future, and they should go to races along with the other GT2 and GT3 series.

My main concern is the lack of assistance and/or replacement parts available from Aston Martin, Corvette, Maserati etc. GT1 racing is my favourite level of Sports Car Racing, even though I have accepted its gonna die after the latest ACO rule packages.
Old 8 Dec 2010, 19:56 (Ref:2801633)   #5
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I said in the mid season review I would be doing full review, so here's all 1058 words of it. Destory it at will guys!

GT1 for me has been amazing. This is my first year following sports cars –I’ve either followed F1 or touring cars–, and I’ve enjoyed every second of it. GT1 to me, as someone who has followed touring cars for some time, is like the WTCC but on steroids. The racing has been epic, and I’m looking forward to 2011.

In GT1, there is always some form of action with cars constantly overtaking each over and some of the most insane passes I’ve seen. Plus the cars are usually lapping within a one second bracket which is impressive for a series that is still in its baby steps. Sure this came out form a previous series, but the format is different and more ambitious.

I do have concerns about the ballast system in place however as it does make some of the races feel artificial. As great as it is that anyone can be a part of the action, I would like the best drivers to be up front rather than being constantly hampered by an overweight car. Does this mean I could drive poorly and get a better car because of this? I hope the FIA watch carefully how they handle the ballast system.

I would say the track list has been good, but the SRO needs to spread out more with their selection of tracks. Being more elaborate with the calendar would not harm anyone. I would say it is imperative for GT1 to spread to North America and the Asian Pacific. Not only are there some of the best tracks in these continents, but I can see GT1 catching on with the locals. A good idea would be to form connections with local series in these areas to give GT1 a platform if it does head there. If GT1 was to head to either Japan or Australia, why not share the bill with Super Taikyu or the Australian GT series? I think an ideal track list should have 5 races in the Asian Pacific, 5 races in Europe, 5 races across North and South America and if they can; a race in Africa. 16 races would be manageable. One race I’m annoyed about is the Spa 24 hours. GT1 needs to be at the forefront with Spa and the 24 hour race would be ultimate test for drivers rather than two 1 hour races. Get those cars back in the 24 hours! On the other hand, due to how much more durable these cars are compared to F1 cars, a race around the full Nürburgring course would be epic.

With race length, I would say two 1 hour races are underwhelming. By the end of the race, I’m usually wanting more and longer races would allow reliability to become a major factor in GT1 adding a further layer of excitement. This would also push drivers more, while at the same time giving cars more time to flex their “muscles”. I think the best idea would be one 3 to 4 hour race or two 2 hour races to keep the series open to broadcasters while at the same time appealing to fans.
On the subject of manufactures, after seeing this first season, I can see GT1 survive without factory teams, but I would like to see manufactures represent themselves officially like Nissan has with banners, support cars and marketing. I can see GT1 being the World Championship for independent teams and constructors using production super cars. It’s a long title, but it could work! On that note, every time one of the commentators goes, “it’s the battle of the brands!” I feel like punching them in the face. It would be if there were factory teams!

My major concern with the series would have to be the car regulations. I’m concerned that GT1 will be by itself, and no one will find it viable to build cars for only one series –F1 is an exception. I can see two good paths that GT1 can take. The first would be to go with LMGT regulations, which would allow for GT1 teams to race at the 24 Hours of Le Mans or any ACO events and vice versa. The other path would be use modified GT3 cars that have been brought up to GT1 spec. You could still have purpose built cars for GT1, but if there was the option of conversion kits for GT3 cars, then this would allow GT3 teams to move up to GT1 if they felt ready to do so without having sell their cars off, in theory saving costs. It would also give GT1 access to a stronger variety of cars such as the SLS, R8, 911 and a replacement for the current Corvette, the Callaway Corvette. Reading articles however, I think the GT3 suggestion is more likely to happen.

I don’t have much to say about coverage, but if I was GT1 I would be looking at strengthening its internet services –Timetables people! – And if they continue to use Bloomberg then it would nice if they had more live races. I would like to see the SRO work with more local TV stations like F1 does. GT1 could work wonders for ITV seeing as F1 switched to the BBC.
One last issue I have is with drivers. Yes, I do believe GT1 along with the ILMC should be the ultimate challenge for teams, but I would at least like to familiarise myself with the drivers rather than having to watch musical chairs. Drivers are not that disposable…

GT1 has been amazing. Not only has it provided great races and breath-taking moments such as the Sumo Nissan over taking two cars at Paul Ricard or Richard Westbrook’s charge at Algarve but it has introduced me to sports cars. I’ve found sports cars to be amazing to watch and I’ve enjoyed taking part in discussions on this board, so I hope to stay watching sports cars for a long while. Yes there are issues with the series, but I remain hopeful that GT1 can succeed. GT1 like the ILMC has hordes of untapped potential. Congratulations to the SRO and FIA for putting on a good first season, Aston Martin for winning the manufacturer title and Vitaphone for winning the teams and drivers titles.

8 out of 10; sorry about forgetting the poll guys!
Old 8 Dec 2010, 22:47 (Ref:2801723)   #6
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I think they will allow that GT3 cars to be upconverted. The R8 should be in GT1, it has the power to in real life, why not in racing? I dont like cars having less power than they have in the real world, what's the point? They are much lighter yeah, but still. Your vette ZR1 has 620hp, but in GT2 it has 490?
Old 9 Dec 2010, 00:36 (Ref:2801761)   #7
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I think they will allow that GT3 cars to be upconverted. The R8 should be in GT1, it has the power to in real life, why not in racing? I dont like cars having less power than they have in the real world, what's the point? They are much lighter yeah, but still. Your vette ZR1 has 620hp, but in GT2 it has 490?
A Phoenix R8 GT1 wouldn't surprise me, but Audi would have to want it and it doesn't look like they do. Yet? With the number of C6.Rs going to the Dutch championship (3) or stuck in collections/museums (at least 2 I imagine) out of the total number built (10?), Ratel is going to have to patch this hole... and many others, and then someday the series might look less precarious.

In racing, there is a maximum power value people generally don't want to exceed (600-650). There is also a parity that has to be kept with smaller engined GTs in this case: Porsche can't expect much more than 500 hp from its flat-6, and torque is never going to be enough to compete with bigger engines. People have always questioned these limits (it's always possible to wish for more fuel, cubic inches, power and less weight) but in the end racing is about finding the most efficienct solution within given parameters.

Besides, a racing Vette's powertrain probably kills the road going equivalent with its torque curve/power delivery and gains seconds a lap by shifting gears massively quicker.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 03:18 (Ref:2801789)   #8
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
  • Overall - B+
  • Presentation - B+
  • Accessibility - A

I don't mind the shorter events, it makes them nice and compact for TV. Purist have a problem with the length of the races, it could be longer but according to Speedtv.com the length of the races will remain the same.

The racing has been very good, standouts for me are Bruno even with though its harder to past there and maybe a bit too much contact. In fact much of the racing was good, again too much contact while I don't mind contact at all, I understand getting punted and I understand Linders being very upset overall, he's been punted off more than once.

The strengths of the whole thing are the streaming and the Bloomberg connection. Bloomberg also did some stories on the series shown on the channel. So its getting some pub on its own TV channel. Moving it to Speed2 is a smart idea, Speed in America needs to expand that but I believe its up to the carriers to have it, right now only Time-Warner (who requested it) and Brighthouse. Maybe it will be on DirecTV and Dish Network.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 09:30 (Ref:2801869)   #9
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the bits I saw of it, the racing was very good. I think it's unrealistic to think that this is the best it will get; without doubt this was a transition year. As the series becomes more popular and better promoted, hopefully we'll see some newer machinery coming in to the action.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 12:02 (Ref:2801943)   #10
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I'm writing up Race Reports for l'endurance Season Wrap Up on GT1, and watching some race footage again, why do people bother with BTCC? These things are WAY better!
Credit to Ratel for getting it going. Whether it will last, long term, is down to next year. A full grid, and he's got a future. Fewer cars, from the same teams, and I don't see it getting year 3...

Oh, and a MASSIVE well done to Sumo Power, for their achievements this year. They operated WAY over my expectations, I have to say.

Racing - A
Cars - A (Fire breathing beasts!)
Circuits - B
Coverage - B/C Streaming is OK, but not everyone has the bandwidth for it... Get TV stations to pick it up, as a virtual freeby? Give it a 2 year deal, and see what you can charge year 3?
WORLD championship? Get a round in Japan. Have one in Russia, maybe China too. Railroad everything. Do them a week apart. Low cost, but HUGE exposure... Hey, if you're that far out there, ship everythng down to Oz, and give 'em a go on Mount Panorama!!!

That could be a 2 month round trip, giving 4 races for not that much travel budget. Especially if you could sea freight over to South America after?

What do we think of this little scheme???
Old 9 Dec 2010, 12:37 (Ref:2801957)   #11
E-racer
Rookie

Sweden
London
E-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Overall its been a great season. The racing is fantastic with overtaking moves constantly throughout the field and the cars are really spectacular. The live streaming works very well for me and if Bloomberg could start showing both races each weekend then that would be even better.

The shorter duration of races did bother me at the beginning of the season but I've got used to it now. Maybe in the future there could be some longer races to mix it up a bit. Overall though, this format works for me. When I want to watch longer races I watch Le Mans and the ALMS.

The circuit selection is very good overall with mostly truly classic circuits. San Luis is my favorite. A race in the US would top it up nicely.

In terms of downsides there is clearly too much contact going on and that should be dealt with. There are also some stories going around on Autosport about teams leaving but thats to be expected after a first season like this. Some teams can't handle it for various reasons and will be replaced. I would be surprised if some of the cars of the departing teams aren't picked up by say a leading GT3 team.

Overall then, a very enjoyable first season. May it long continue (hoping...)
Old 9 Dec 2010, 22:39 (Ref:2802212)   #12
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I'm writing up Race Reports for l'endurance Season Wrap Up on GT1, and watching some race footage again, why do people bother with BTCC? These things are WAY better!
Credit to Ratel for getting it going. Whether it will last, long term, is down to next year. A full grid, and he's got a future. Fewer cars, from the same teams, and I don't see it getting year 3...

Oh, and a MASSIVE well done to Sumo Power, for their achievements this year. They operated WAY over my expectations, I have to say.

Racing - A
Cars - A (Fire breathing beasts!)
Circuits - B
Coverage - B/C Streaming is OK, but not everyone has the bandwidth for it... Get TV stations to pick it up, as a virtual freeby? Give it a 2 year deal, and see what you can charge year 3?
WORLD championship? Get a round in Japan. Have one in Russia, maybe China too. Railroad everything. Do them a week apart. Low cost, but HUGE exposure... Hey, if you're that far out there, ship everythng down to Oz, and give 'em a go on Mount Panorama!!!

That could be a 2 month round trip, giving 4 races for not that much travel budget. Especially if you could sea freight over to South America after?

What do we think of this little scheme???
It could work provided you could go to other countries in Asia.
Old 9 Dec 2010, 23:03 (Ref:2802219)   #13
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-racer View Post
The shorter duration of races did bother me at the beginning of the season but I've got used to it now. Maybe in the future there could be some longer races to mix it up a bit. Overall though, this format works for me. When I want to watch longer races I watch Le Mans and the ALMS.
Agree. And for those who dont agree that this 2x1h format is good for GT1, do what I did a few months ago, dig out an old race from 2005 and watch the whole 3h race flag to flag, you will see my point.

Also agree that the serie also need one or two longer races, Spa 24h and maybe a Bathurst 1000 would do that trick to really get the Endurance feeling into the serie. Thats probably a budget question since some teams claimed the Spa 24h made up 50% of their whole budget in previous years.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 04:24 (Ref:2802283)   #14
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I think this year was a success. There's been some fantastic racing with a variety of cars with a variety of winners. One thing that stands out to me is the pro drivers that the series has attracted this year, some of them new and others returning, also with the death of GT2 we saw what Richard Westbrook was capable of in a GT1 and that was most impressive.

A big thumbs up for online streaming, that was one of the best things SRO have done even if its expensive, being able to watch the races online legally will have brought new fans in and provides extra exposure for the sponsors.

As far race distance goes, I dont have a problem with it, it may not appeal to the purists but it works, its exciting and its lowered costs for the teams so its win-win in my eyes.

No problems with track selection, even with no Spa 24hrs they still raced at the iconic track along with other awesome tracks such as Silverstone, Portimao, Brno, Interlagos and San Luis. Fingers crossed for an Australian race next year..
Old 11 Dec 2010, 20:42 (Ref:2803090)   #15
Bernard Bram
Racer

Bernard Bram has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Has it worked as a world championship?
Yes.
Old 14 Dec 2010, 09:01 (Ref:2804239)   #16
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched most rounds on ESPN (Their HD coverage is very good).

The racing was mostly quite exciting with a good balance of performance between the different cars.

Most of the tracks were pretty good too with opportunities for overtaking - San Luis was epic!

The 1 hour race formats work well on TV.

A good first year for a promisign series imo.

Mk
Old 14 Dec 2010, 20:01 (Ref:2804480)   #17
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT1 was definitely my favourite world championship this year with a great selection of tracks and races that were amazing entertainment most of the time.

Personally, I'd still prefer a longer race or two - maybe an 1hr 45m race in San Luis - but I realise that isn't going to happen. All in all I thought it was a cracking season and I'm already looking forward to 2011.
Old 29 Jan 2011, 19:01 (Ref:2822377)   #18
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Bringing the topic back up, I have found this brilliant review of the first GT1 season.

It looks back at the teams and races in detail. I'd say it's worth a read. The only bad bit about it, is that it doesn't mention anything major about 2011.
Old 2 Feb 2011, 15:55 (Ref:2824600)   #19
Yakuncha
Racer

Ireland
Dublin,Ireland
Yakuncha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
The only bad bit about it, is that it doesn't mention anything major about 2011.
Mainly as the 'editor' is not as well informed as he thinks he is
Old 3 Feb 2011, 00:21 (Ref:2824840)   #20
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Nah, he doesn't claim to know more than anyone, bar me...
Rosputnik? I'll pass your kind words along.