Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 7 Mar 2000, 18:19 (Ref:14089)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

I have a few questions about attending the GP at Silverstone. I understand that the track does not have high traffic access and that the crowd will be huge. I have heard that queues to leave the circuit can take up to 5 hours. I am curious if any of the Brit fans have used a shuttle/bus for transfer to the circuit before and if it is a better way to get in and out. I saw on the Silverstone site that a shuttle runs from Northhampton to the circuit, but if the queue for the shuttle is 5 hours then nothing is gained. Thanks in advance.
Old 7 Mar 2000, 22:14 (Ref:14090)   #2
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've always driven to Silverstone so can't comment on the shuttle bus, but some friends thought they'd have no trouble getting to the circuit by public transport and ended up getting a taxi from Northampton because the public transport just wasn't there! I think the only way to really avoid the queues is to fly in, or I think it's also possible to book to be driven in on an off roader, don't know anymore details about the latter though.
Old 7 Mar 2000, 22:23 (Ref:14091)   #3
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was actually wondering if the GP is testing on thursday this year so i can slip in and hide out the whole weekend in someones awning
Old 8 Mar 2000, 09:38 (Ref:14092)   #4
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
KC

Traffic is fairly bad but 5hrs sounds a bit over the top.

If you are sensible ie. don't leave 10 mins after the GP, but go home after 6pm the traffic isn't too bad.

My personal experience is you get out quicker leaving by the North Gates (about 30mins) compared to the South Gates (2-3 hours). Does anyone else agree?

Stick to the car, the traffic might be bad but it's once a year and a small price to pay for going.

PS. Mackmot I think there is no Thursday since the dates move to April. Can anyone else confirm?

[This message has been edited by Andy H (edited 08 March 2000).]
Old 8 Mar 2000, 14:08 (Ref:14093)   #5
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks very much.
Old 8 Mar 2000, 20:32 (Ref:14094)   #6
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd agree entirely with what Andy said about the north and south gates, it can take ages to get out of the south exits. If you're approaching Silverstone along the A43 from Northampton then you might find yourself diverted off to the left where there's an NT sign for Stowe. If you go down there then you'll end up on the south carparks past Becketts and it takes ages to get out of those. Try telling the traffic police your grandstand is over the other side of the circuit and they normally let you carry on along the A43 which then gets you into the car parks at the back of pits straight and Copse - those car parks are much easier to get out of at the end of the day.
Also as Andy says, stick around a while after the race there's plenty to see, so make a full day of it and if you wait til about 6 or 7 there's no problem, you can drive straight out of the circuit.
Old 9 Mar 2000, 10:03 (Ref:14095)   #7
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The South Gates are useful if you plan to spend the day based round that end of the circuit eg. Club or Stowe.

The prospect of having to walk the length of the circuit before 6am from the North Gate to find a place at Club has always proved too horrible, thus I put up with the 2-3 hours delay in getting away from the track.