Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Dec 2001, 15:45 (Ref:188728)   #1
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The best and worst of BTCC Support Race Series

We've seen many different support race series as part of the TOCA package over the years. Sometimes you read the news that a new series will join and just wonder why because it doesn't seem particularly inspiring, or you might look on with dismay or joy when you hear a particular series will be dropped from the series.

I used to always enjoy the ICS Historics and so I'm hoping that the historic series we have back in the BTCC in 2002 will be interesting. It was always entertaining seeing Minis and Anglias up against Camaros and Mustangs. Also, I'll never forget the marshals trying to shift a Camaro from the gravel at Lodge. Marshals front and back of the car, all pushing for all they were worth and it took them a good while to actually work out they weren't going to shift the car that way

Formula Vauxhall Junior used to provide good racing as well, especially earlier in the season when some of the kids were very new and were investigating some very novel lines round corners. I presume that Formula Vauxhall has now died the death completely? It seemed to have a very quick demise after leaving TOCA.

The original Clios were good fun, especially when squeeling their way round Lodge and all the air was filled with the smell of burning rubber. When I heard the Clios were to be replaced by the Spiders I was sceptical and I've got to admit that the Clios never really did capture my imagination. It was certainly exciting to hear the Clios were making a return to the package in 2000 and in that year, they certainly provided better racing than the BTCC was. First laps on cold tyres anyone As for the other Renault series, Formula Renault, I can take it or leave it. You get some good races, you get others which are a boring spindle procession. Boring spindles - I'll not even mention Formula Fords which just don't do it for me at all.

Then we had the Vectras, I wondered what they'd be like when they first arrived, but they produced some very good racing - and the chance to see an LPG car racing competitively.

The Fiestas were always stars in TOCA, I was sad to see them leave, but never dreamt that when I'd watch them as part of Powertour I'd actually find them boring.

I could mention Lotuses, I could mention Porches joining the TOCA package, but I'll leave that for now.

In an ideal world, what support races would you like to see? Also, your opinions on the different series we've seen supporting the BTCC over the seasons....
Old 22 Dec 2001, 16:06 (Ref:188730)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Good topic Carrie!
At the start of 2000 when the Elise and Clio series were introduced I was very excited about the Lotus' but not at all interested in the Clios after seeing them both at the Autosport Show. How things changed in the first couple of meetings...! Was good to meet Paul Lomax after Brands Hatch and what a lucky man he was to have survived a) THAT crash and b) the 10 Tenths gang!

Vectras too were great... but that LPG car... interesting stuff... wonder if they'll ever allow an LPG car into the BTCC - that would be fun! When we saw them trackside I was not all that impressed to be honest, but the review video provided by the organisers had me wanting them back the next year!

Fiestas were always pretty good, and FFord was good too, on it's day. Often better on TV though...

Was fun to be able to see the Priaulx/Pizzonia steamrollers in action - as well as up and coming drivers such as Button and Raikonen. Oh, and Vincent Apple too, of course!

Always remember the old historic tourers - they had to be the best! Followed closely by the EuroBoss F1 cars...
Old 22 Dec 2001, 16:19 (Ref:188735)   #3
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ive only been to a couple of races, and have always enjoyed the tin-tops such as clios and fiestas. i have however always seen the single seaters as a chance to go and wander round the paddock, i even change channel when theyre on Chequered Flag!

i do wish theyd bring back the vectras and fiestas. hey hows about they start up a corsa series that would be good!
Old 22 Dec 2001, 16:19 (Ref:188736)   #4
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh yes, definitely interesting to watch the up and coming drivers guessing when you first see them which one will be the one to make it - Juan Pablo Montoya anyone Plus the Priaulx and Pizzonia walkovers were something to witness as well. We should also include Coelho in that for Formula Renault, one of the ones who looked like he might produce great things, sadly it all tailed off once he got into F3.
As you said, the Clios made 2000, it would have been a fairly dull year without them.
Now, what's Vincent Apple got planned for 2002? Did he ever recover from being shouted at throughout 1999 - Oulton Park springs to mind DURING his race
Old 22 Dec 2001, 16:32 (Ref:188742)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Vince ? Last I heard the plug was pulled and he has returned to the States. Oh yes, Oulton Park, poor bugger didn't know what was going on did he ? Still we did get him to wave didn't we ? Of course that meeting was was very sad as we lost young Neil Shanahan that day
Old 22 Dec 2001, 16:35 (Ref:188743)   #6
Carrie
Veteran

One of the memories I'd certainly rather not have
Old 22 Dec 2001, 20:22 (Ref:188830)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Basically anything with a tin top provides good racing for me, Clio's, Fiestas, Vectras, Pick-up trucks, I can pretty much leave all the single seaters, as the racing is often too boring.
Old 22 Dec 2001, 21:03 (Ref:188835)   #8
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny you talking about Vince - I had only just emailed him a Christmas Card. Last I heard he was working for Paul Tracy!! teaching!! He is also painting his mum's backyard. It is going to be odd not seeing him about and the comments about Apple turnover and Apple crumble.

The support series - ohh those Vectras - I adored them - always close, unpredictable (and that's just DaveP going for Ticehurst at Snett) and colourfull. The same sort of racing we get with the Clios - but I have to say this years racing hasn't been as good as last years - I wonder why?

The Spiders and the Lotus were much the same - someone shooting off into the distance while the rest try and catch up. Usually some good skirmishes in mid field but not that entertaining.

Fiestas - broke my heart to see them go to Powertour. That brought smaller fields and the death I feel. Whether Colin Stancombe will successfully manage to convert to Clios I don't know.

FFord - I just could not get into it. Maybe it's because the field is so big that I can't pick someone to watch, and now I feel FRenault will go the same way - spindles do not enthrall me.
Old 23 Dec 2001, 03:27 (Ref:188956)   #9
knowlesy59
Racer

Wales
WALES
knowlesy59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
support races.i haven't been to many race meetings but my top 5 would be[list=1][*]Clio's[*]Fiestas[*]Vectras[*]Formula Renaults[*]Pick-ups[/list=1]

Clio's win it for me cause you just dont know when the track will take it's next casualty.Makes you keep watching and not turn away at all.A warning though,Make sure you dont need the toilet half way through a race,came back and found a clio crumpled up in the barrier.Isn't it well gutting when you miss some action.
Old 23 Dec 2001, 11:06 (Ref:189008)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Hmm, interesting to read your views on the different series and I have to admit that I'm surprised at the lack of enthusiasm for the F Ford guys. To me F Ford has provided some of the best racing of all, and I was always quite sad that it was left to the last race of the day when the majority of the spectators had gone home. Never the less, that's just my view and I just love to watch F Ford racing (ask the other marshals how much they enjoy the F Ford Festival).

ICS Historics are up there too, like Carrie I just adore them, probably because it brings back so many memories of my mis-spent youth!

EuroBoss are good as well, but not a patch on Thoroughbread GP Cars, probably for the same reason as above, they were the F1 cars I grew up with and it's something special to see them still being raced as they should be.

Clio's and Fiesta's are always fun, driven by nutters I'm convinced and as a marshal we always have plenty to do when they are on the track. Never a dull moment! The drivers too are so friendly, Colin Stancome and his team often pop round to chat to us and that to me is what motor racing is about, friendliness.

I guess if you go back a little further, Honda Civics were just mental and I seem to recall Honda threatening to pull the plug on the series time after time. I don't think any car had a straight panel on it after the race!
Old 23 Dec 2001, 11:09 (Ref:189011)   #11
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
oooh... forgot TGP! Add that to the favourites list...

Dear Mr West,
Can we please have Minis.

Thank-you,

Craig Antill.
Old 23 Dec 2001, 12:56 (Ref:189055)   #12
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No element of bias there Craig?!

Dear Mr West,

Could you please ensure that we don't have to endure the Shed beating the Sofa with the Orange in third, ever again

Thanks,
Michael
Old 23 Dec 2001, 20:45 (Ref:189164)   #13
Carrie
Veteran

I'd just like to second what Michael has said and whilst we're on the subject, please, please, stunt Legends might be interesting the first time you see them, but when you've seen them once...

Until Sodemo mentioned them, I'd managed to forget all about Pickup trucks. Actually, I'd rather forget about them, they just don't interest me at all, the same goes for the Legends we saw racing at Knockhill this year.
Old 27 Dec 2001, 18:27 (Ref:189994)   #14
Piranha
Rookie

Piranha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie
We should also include Coelho in that for Formula Renault, one of the ones who looked like he might produce great things, sadly it all tailed off once he got into F3.
I went to most the races in '98 and seem to remember that Coelho didnt have it that easy, in fact the championship wasnt decided until the last round, with Coelho and Bell winning 7 races each.
Old 27 Dec 2001, 23:12 (Ref:190159)   #15
Carrie
Veteran

Maybe it just felt like he won every race - I certainly think he managed to win all of the races I got to in '98.
Old 28 Dec 2001, 03:14 (Ref:190246)   #16
Piranha
Rookie

Ive done some homework and the '98 renault championship was pretty much dominated by both the Manor drivers Coelho and Bell as they won all the races in the championship except 1(7 wins-Coelho/7 wins-Bell) which was one by Vitor Meira. Anyways, does anybody know what has happened to Coelho or Bell as both seem to have disappeared..
Old 28 Dec 2001, 04:46 (Ref:190264)   #17
Takuma
Racer

Takuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al Cohelo is running the family business in Brasil.

Doug Bell, having "burnt his bridges" was attemptimg to resurrect his career in a low level US single seater series.
Old 28 Dec 2001, 14:52 (Ref:190425)   #18
Piranha
Rookie

Thanks for the info Takuma,any ideas on how i could get any info on the states, how do u mean that Bell burnt his bridges?
Old 28 Dec 2001, 17:08 (Ref:190477)   #19
Takuma
Racer

Try www.usf2000.com

I think that he was racing in the US F2000 series, a level equivalent to the old space frame F Renault, but with Ford Pinto 2.0Litre engines.

As for your other question. I suggest you talk to some of the teams he has driven for.
Old 29 Dec 2001, 08:47 (Ref:190829)   #20
Piranha
Rookie

Once again.. thank u Takuma for the info.. Looks like Mr Bell is doing quite well in the states, it would be nice to see Mr Coelho and him racing back in the U.K (budgets allowing)..
Old 29 Dec 2001, 19:20 (Ref:191152)   #21
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Clios, Vectras etc were always popular, but I was always a little dissapointed in the Renault Spider championship. I think the way it replaced the Clios, and then only lasted a couple of years before being replaced meant it didn't attract the support. It had some good drivers in it though!
Old 30 Dec 2001, 09:42 (Ref:191375)   #22
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Isn't that where Plato started Andy?
Old 30 Dec 2001, 12:44 (Ref:191435)   #23
Simon Pullan
Racer

Simon Pullan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't say that is where he started.

He had races lots of other cars before he got to spiders. I think then story goes something like in about '93 he did FVauxhall and finished 2nd to Bobby Verdon-Roe, then was the Nissan touring car test driver in '94 (his dad was good mates with Jan of Janspeed). In '95 he drove the uncompetitive works Van Dieman (there must be some silent letters I'm missing there) for the first half of the season before being dropped in favour of Julian Westwood. Jules was much quicker in the car. It looked like all was lost until he got the Swan National money to race in this new championship in '96. That was spiders. He won it, got the touring car drive and the rest I'm sure you already know. I'm fairly sure that's the jist but please put me right on anything I'm wrong about.

Last edited by Simon Pullan; 30 Dec 2001 at 12:45.
Old 30 Dec 2001, 13:01 (Ref:191440)   #24
Takuma
Racer

Sorry Simon,

Jason was i F Renault in 90 & 91.

His part F3 season was in 1992.

The F Vauxhall in 93 was an attempt to restart his career.

From what i recall of 1992 F3, Julian Westewood was giving the team much more useful feedback.
Old 30 Dec 2001, 14:50 (Ref:191488)   #25
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Thanks Simon,

I really don't remember much about him until he did Spiders. His first year driving them coincided with marshalling my first British GP, that was the year Damon was in the Williams and came off at Copse, only about 30 yards from where I was standing. I remember Plato winning in Spiders though and as you say, the rest is history.