Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Jul 2004, 18:52 (Ref:1030567)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
6 Hours of Spa 2004

Okay,

It's mid July. Those of us strapped for time are looking at this event for our annual fix. But there are loads of racers on the forum who appear there and have stories to tell.

Me? I'm hoping to enter two one-hour two driver (although I'll be on my own) races.

And then there's the great racers who will put on the 6 hour show.

A fantastic weekend for racers and (more importantly) spectators, alike.

Be there or................................ well you lose out.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 20:27 (Ref:1030637)   #2
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy to sign on as your number two.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 20:59 (Ref:1030665)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 21:02 (Ref:1030668)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I should also mention that there's a 40 minute race for European (mostly Dutch I'm told) MG and Triumph sportscar racers. Depending on grid size its open to invited drivers as well.
Old 8 Jul 2004, 23:30 (Ref:1030787)   #5
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never got to do my stints in the 6 hour last year as the car only lasted 40 minutes. I love the new night race format though. Coming down the pit straight with the pits lit up with hundreds of flood lights creates an amazing atmosphere. Has to be the best race meeting of the year although the Eiffel Klassik does come close, nothing like the Nordschleife on a cold and wet Sunday morning at the beginning of October!!
Old 9 Jul 2004, 10:22 (Ref:1031120)   #6
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm back there again defo in the FF1600 race not sure if were doing the 6 hour race this year
Old 9 Jul 2004, 10:29 (Ref:1031132)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Could have a bit of a 10/10s gathering.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 14:11 (Ref:1031357)   #8
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is it 2 ff1600 races this year jason?
Old 9 Jul 2004, 20:43 (Ref:1031697)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Anybody going who would like to do some pitwall duties can mail or pm me. I suspect there's at least three cars in the one hour races who need pitboard or stopwatch peeps.
Old 9 Jul 2004, 20:49 (Ref:1031705)   #10
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has anybody got anything back from the organisers yet????
Old 10 Jul 2004, 04:10 (Ref:1031917)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I've e mailed them about some web pages but no reply. They haven't updated the website yet either.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 06:08 (Ref:1031948)   #12
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
6 Hours Spa Entry papers should be out in next week now Liege Rome is over.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 06:14 (Ref:1031950)   #13
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Spa 6 Hour weekend
Remember pre war sports car race for proper cars Contact Duncan Wiltshire 01933624002 for entry.He needs 40 cars to make it work
Old 10 Jul 2004, 06:26 (Ref:1031954)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by john ruston
Spa 6 Hour weekend
Remember pre war sports car race for proper cars
"Proper" cars? Be careful John.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 09:10 (Ref:1032022)   #15
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Peter Why be careful. The idea is to have original cars as the old Coys Silverstone races.not specials
Old 10 Jul 2004, 09:18 (Ref:1032024)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
You could prompt a discussion about Group 4's Fford 1600, Group 1 etc. All proper cars IMO.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 11:07 (Ref:1032125)   #17
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

I am only refering to pre war sports cars.I know nothing about F,F.or Group 1 although am rather surprised that they seem to go a lot quicker these days ,probably well run in!
Old 10 Jul 2004, 11:24 (Ref:1032154)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ah now then,

Your point is well made. All of the "historic breed" go quicker than in their original lives. There are many reasons for that.

Not least build quality and material specs are improved. Tyre technology is also a lot better.

In the case of my car it is built to the original Appendix J regs as homologated but it runs on treaded racing tyres rather than the slicks that were allowed in its day. However it is quicker than the equivalent car of the 70s.

I think you will also find that the pre war sports cars go a bit quicker than when they were first built. Fuel and tyres at least are better now.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 13:03 (Ref:1032288)   #19
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Agree;but not to much different unless you stick a 8 litre engine into a smaall chassis .The biggest problem are the over capacity cars,size does matter.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 13:59 (Ref:1032412)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well that of course is a different matter. I'd call that cheating.

But anyway back on topic. Will you be at Spa? (I noticed your location) I'm in Turkey.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 14:06 (Ref:1032418)   #21
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

I have four cars in the pre war race plus one in 6hours The 2litre F2 race is off.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 14:59 (Ref:1032461)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Maybe we'll get the chance to meet up. I'm supposedly entering the Top Hat 1 hour and the British Sports and Saloons 1 hour.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 17:35 (Ref:1032547)   #23
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
we've already entered the Top Hat 1 hour saloon race

and as for car spec performance, I'm built very historically . . .as soon as Ive done Brands GP next weekend I'll tell you how close to the 1963 lap times I am (2 minutes dead then)

we might even be free for a little assistance if you get the beer in Peter
Old 10 Jul 2004, 23:13 (Ref:1032703)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by zefarelly
I'm built very historically . . .
Apparently there are some in the paddock who think the word is "hysterically".

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 10 Jul 2004 at 23:14.
Old 11 Jul 2004, 19:09 (Ref:1033367)   #25
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by john ruston
I have four cars in the pre war race plus one in 6hours The 2litre F2 race is off.

And what are the chances of driving one of these for you?

a) 0%

b) no chance

c) Ask Mr Mallett

Gary