Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Sep 2004, 14:08 (Ref:1083820)   #126
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just cancelled my ferry...two successive meetings with disc failures has left me seriously p*ss*d off and lacking in both funds and motivation
Old 1 Sep 2004, 14:47 (Ref:1083833)   #127
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have yet to book mine - I am still trying to find a discount letter I have for Eurotunnel - I must try and dig it out this evening! Hope yr back gets bettter Paul - so who is going to be recording the event?!
Old 1 Sep 2004, 14:59 (Ref:1083845)   #128
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
My Dad will be bringing his piccie stuff, no idea what it is but the lens is like the telecom tower and cost more than my car so he should catch some of us !

Paul . . .hope your backs on the mend, it'll teach you to aleep in the Alfa !
Old 1 Sep 2004, 15:00 (Ref:1083846)   #129
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
not discs in my back
Ive had two 2.2gb microdrives fail on me losing days of shooting and needing me to spend money replacing them

Last edited by PaulSands; 1 Sep 2004 at 15:01.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 15:10 (Ref:1083853)   #130
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
ahh . . . .whats wrong with film eh ??? what you save on disces you can spend on Hoegaarden
Old 1 Sep 2004, 15:12 (Ref:1083858)   #131
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
After Thruxton this Bank Hols I was lucky to have any gear left at all as it was nearly trashed in situ I was that angry.
I'm currently contemplating my navel and wondering what my next step is and am unwilling to commit any more dosh until I figure out whats wrong and how bad I want to fix it (which I obviously will do but the wind has been somewhat knocked out of my sails)
Old 1 Sep 2004, 15:40 (Ref:1083884)   #132
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know how you feel - this whole game is an emotive thing - when I have a good meeting its great but when its gone wrong (Pau springs to mind when a broken diff mounting stopped the car when we were leading the race) I just want to sell up... I go to Spa quietly optimistic!
Old 1 Sep 2004, 16:08 (Ref:1083904)   #133
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well done Zef!

I saw the e mails but for some reason Yahoo has gone into "huff" mode and is almost terminally slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

Hopefully we'll all get out to play.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 08:08 (Ref:1084484)   #134
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have received confirmation that we are in Barry's one hour race but nothing from Julius other than a card to say our race entry had been accepted. Has confirmation been sent out to those with a definite entry? Could someone do me a favour (Simon?) and let me know if our names are down for the Top Hat race.
Thanks.
Louise K
Old 2 Sep 2004, 08:31 (Ref:1084499)   #135
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Louise, your on the list on the motorclassic website, as are we, Peter and Simon

I've also not had any confirmation from Julius, but am assuming he has submitted the provisional entry form to the organisers ?

Peter, theres a lot of reserves, but also a lot of double entries so fingers crossed you'll get a race . . . .. MK1 Cortina GT vs 3L Capri . . . .interesting !

Last edited by zefarelly; 2 Sep 2004 at 08:32.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 08:38 (Ref:1084505)   #136
simon drabble
Veteran

Peter what tyres are you allowed to race with? Are you able to use yoki's or similar? If so I guess all the 1980's cars will be at the pointy end. I have to say that the difference in grip and speed between some of the cars does cause me some concern as does the potential driving standards - lets hope that the more modern cars are aware of teh limitations of the older cars. Fortunately the quickest car on the grid is driven by two very capable and historic friendly pilotes, one of the Diffey brothers (cant remember which one!) and Irvine Laidlaw
Old 2 Sep 2004, 09:14 (Ref:1084528)   #137
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As far as I know we have to run on Dunlop D84J. At least that's what I'll be running. Last year we were doing around 3.13s and beating some of the Yoko tyred cars.

Speed differential doesn't worry me because I tend to be in the middle ranking so can be an ovetaker as well as an overtakeeee.

I'll have a look at the listing later.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 10:06 (Ref:1084578)   #138
simon drabble
Veteran

so what are the likely times of the front running 70/80's cars? Are Dunlop D84J similar to L and M section?
Old 2 Sep 2004, 10:25 (Ref:1084598)   #139
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Simon.

D84's are radial tyres. Last year the other Capri 3.0s was on the D94 "semi slick" and it was around six seconds/lap faster than me. However Dave Thomas runs a 3.4 on slicks and as such he will be doing 2.59's. Of course this is based on the old circuit. Don't know how the new chicane will affect us.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 10:46 (Ref:1084620)   #140
simon drabble
Veteran

well I wont be troubling him! Last year I was doing 3.10's
Is his more like the Cologne Capri's of 70's?
Old 2 Sep 2004, 12:40 (Ref:1084754)   #141
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Its actually a genuine Group 1 Ex Gordon Spice Mk 3 shell that he's built into a Group 2 version. Not a "Cologne" style which was the Mark 1.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 13:15 (Ref:1084787)   #142
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Zef. I'm sure I checked on the site a few days ago but couldn't see it. Must be going blind.

Really looking forward to the trip and especially having more time on the track now we have 2 confirmed entries. The 30 min practice session never seems to go far when you have 2 drivers - 15 mins is essentially an out lap, 2 quick laps (if you're lucky) and then back in.

And what an entry in the Top Hat race - talk about having the best seat in the house!

Good to see that Barry's one hour race has moved on the timetable - was going to have to change the ferry if it had been the last race of the day but we should now make out.

See you all on the Thursday? Simon will you be with the main Paddock or out with us?
Louise K
Old 2 Sep 2004, 13:24 (Ref:1084793)   #143
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yep, we'll be there on the Thursday.

How many for the Saturday BBQ then?
Old 2 Sep 2004, 13:32 (Ref:1084800)   #144
simon drabble
Veteran

hi Louise
I think I will be in the centre in the BRDC paddock (its closer to the many drivers briefings I have to attend!!) but on sunday I will move out to your side as I want to make a quick get away after the Gentlemen Drivers race to get to the Eurotunnel asap (some of us have to work Monday morning!)- I presume scrutineering will be in your paddock. I aim to arrive late Thursday night
Old 2 Sep 2004, 13:48 (Ref:1084812)   #145
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=59031

Don't say you weren't warned - have a great time everyone and may the weather gods be with you :
Old 2 Sep 2004, 13:50 (Ref:1084813)   #146
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yer only jealous!
Old 2 Sep 2004, 14:52 (Ref:1084876)   #147
simon drabble
Veteran

Weather Gods could be the answer for us older cars against the slick shod Capri's! Here's hoping for heavy rain showers a great leveller!!!
By the way a pity its not a Cologne as I do think they are really quite cool!

Last edited by simon drabble; 2 Sep 2004 at 14:53.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 20:28 (Ref:1085196)   #148
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Simon,

Taking your point. (And there's only one slick shod Capri in the list and its 6th reserve). A Capri when set up properly is tremendous fun in the wet. Indeed its the only time I can drive one!

Nobody gets offended by the Capri "boy racer" tag anymore. But it was a well deserved reputation on the road, however I believe that anybody who can peddle one of these racing versions well (and I'm not in that league) deserves respect.

Martin West is a great bloke and a damned fine racer. So is Malc Best, Skid Scarborough, David Thomas, Ian Drew and many others who race these cars. I wish I could be that good.

Sadly they get cast into the "modern" role and should really be given the opportunity to show their paces in the older machinery. Hopefully Julius' 70's series will introduce them to a more "elite" audience.

Finally. A cologne Capri is a fantastic machine. It defined Group 2 racing in the early seventies. Sadly they are so rare we're unlikely to see any on track again (other than demos).

See you there and bring some suacisan.
Old 2 Sep 2004, 21:23 (Ref:1085269)   #149
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I agree Peter, and even on the road, as a 'yoof' a capri was a cheap car that was good to drive, one has to learn how to control oversteer somehow, and safer at 30 mph in a capri than some of the alternatives

I thought Ian Drrew raced a classic? or both?

I sincerely hope the 70's cars make a series of there own, and to the same extent the late 60's, it would also serve to make the pre 66 cars a more evenly matched affair!
Old 3 Sep 2004, 03:36 (Ref:1085517)   #150
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ian does indeed race a Classic but he also still has his Capri.