Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 17 Dec 2018, 11:35 (Ref:3870820)   #3276
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
And some of those seriously poor companies are owned by foreign state railway companies. Arriva UK Trains runs about 25% of British trains and is a totally owned subsidiary of the Deutsche Bahn.

Meanwhile, ScotRail is owned by the Dutch state railway.

Meanwhile, another large chunk of the UK's railways is run by Govia, a company jointly owned by Go Ahead (UK based) and Keolis which is based in Paris with 70% owned by SCNF (French state railways) and the remainder by an investment arm of the city of Quebec.

Another large operator is First Group which from memory is nominally British owned but a lot of it's profits appear to disappear overseas to tax-free bolt holes.
I stand corrected. Thanks.
Old 17 Dec 2018, 11:39 (Ref:3870821)   #3277
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
And some of those seriously poor companies are owned by foreign state railway companies. Arriva UK Trains runs about 25% of British trains and is a totally owned subsidiary of the Deutsche Bahn.
Based on the experiences of a pal of mine who has lived in the East Central part of Germany for about a decade but commutes weekly to the south for work, Deutsche Bahn seem to have a few issues at home.

About 2 years ago they started an upgrade project that, for the second time in 3 years, disrupted his 3 hour commute and meant he had to take an entirely different and longer route.

That lasted 18 months plus a bit of over-run.

Since the work finished many if not most of his journeys have been disrupted in some way to the point that a 3 hour commute (no improvement in journey times for him after the upgrades) more often takes between 4.5 and 6 hours.

The Local daily commuters at his City of work second home seems to have a similar level of service to those enjoying London's facilities.

It seems that the "State" of the railways may be less of a local UK problem than we thought.

Last edited by grantp; 17 Dec 2018 at 11:47.
Old 17 Dec 2018, 11:40 (Ref:3870822)   #3278
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Good news.
Old 17 Dec 2018, 11:51 (Ref:3870823)   #3279
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Falce View Post
Branston is a pickle I thought.

It seems that, over time, Branston has been a name associated with many things.

http://www.burton-on-trent.org.uk/ca...ranston-pickle

That it is now a Japanese owned brand had passed me by.
Old 17 Dec 2018, 12:21 (Ref:3870830)   #3280
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
It seems that, over time, Branston has been a name associated with many things.

http://www.burton-on-trent.org.uk/ca...ranston-pickle

That it is now a Japanese owned brand had passed me by.

Perhaps that is why it has become "Blandston"...!
Old 17 Dec 2018, 12:23 (Ref:3870831)   #3281
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Perhaps that is why it has become "Blandston"...!
John, that comment has won the internet today. Nothing else anyone writes can match that. Well done!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 17 Dec 2018, 12:56 (Ref:3870838)   #3282
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
John, that comment has won the internet today. Nothing else anyone writes can match that. Well done!

I totally agree!
Old 17 Dec 2018, 13:25 (Ref:3870842)   #3283
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Oddly enough one of my favourite places is Brittany. Especially the Cote d'emerode. Property prices are extremely good value but then you look at the rules. If you live in France and are retired you pay french tax on your UK pension, which I believe is in the range of 40%. Whereas in the UK we pay 25% on annual sums above £12,500 which I think is the tax allowance.

So, whilst it would be great to move to France, the reality is that the cost of living is prohibitive.

Peter. I don't believe any UK railways are state owned whether by the UK, France or Germany since they are run by some seriously poor private companies.

As to the UK being a net importer of power? Again slightly inaccurate since we still have oil and gas and export those products, likewise we have wind and nuclear. Yes at times we need back up from across the channel hence the inter connector and the cross channel cables. Both of which are reversible.
High taxes do have their advantages (not that it stops me complaining an awful lot about them) particularly noticeable when you need medical treatment - which seems to become more of an issue the older you get.

It's always amusing when someone on things like Facebook says we would like similar services to some Scandinavian country (can't remember which) e.g. great education, healthcare, pensions etc. someone invariably points out rather quickly that they pay a hell of a lot more tax!!

I thought Normandy looked attractive as well, good property prices, great roads and several ferry routes to the UK - but did discover a downside when desperately looking for petrol at night!!
When I was there driving a UK registered car I was amazed to find out that the locals were friendly to Brits as well!!

True, railways (+ buses etc.) are simply profit making businesses, it would be great to see public transport reintroduced in the UK.

No I didn't mean the UK is a net importer of power, it is a net importer of things in general - food, clothing, cars, builders(!) etc. of course it exports some stuff but relies on other countries to stock the shelves etc. and it seems rather unlikely that it would be possible to instantly produce the same as has been suggested by some MPs.
Old 17 Dec 2018, 13:28 (Ref:3870843)   #3284
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Peter

Peter, your knowledge of the EU is greater than mine as is your knowledge of 'Luton Cuteys', and BBC dancing programmes! I have no idea who you are referring to. I must stay in more.
That's a shame I was hoping for an introduction...
Unfortunately the lovely Stacey Dooley has Lutonexited to Brighton which made it even less likely!
Old 17 Dec 2018, 13:32 (Ref:3870844)   #3285
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Why, thank you!
Old 17 Dec 2018, 13:37 (Ref:3870845)   #3286
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
I just managed to avoid having lunch in a French fast food chain.

O'Tacos apparently sells French Tacos.

Since when have Tacos been French?
And why does a French company have an Irish name??
Old 17 Dec 2018, 13:38 (Ref:3870846)   #3287
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
High taxes do have their advantages (not that it stops me complaining an awful lot about them) particularly noticeable when you need medical treatment - which seems to become more of an issue the older you get.
Indeed which is why I pay for private medicine.

Quote:
It's always amusing when someone on things like Facebook says we would like similar services to some Scandinavian country (can't remember which) e.g. great education, healthcare, pensions etc. someone invariably points out rather quickly that they pay a hell of a lot more tax!!
Again this is correct.

Quote:
I thought Normandy looked attractive as well, good property prices, great roads and several ferry routes to the UK - but did discover a downside when desperately looking for petrol at night!!
When I was there driving a UK registered car I was amazed to find out that the locals were friendly to Brits as well!!
Yes the downside of paying all that tax in France is an infrastructure that dates back to the revolution.

Quote:
True, railways (+ buses etc.) are simply profit making businesses, it would be great to see public transport reintroduced in the UK.
I like it the way it is. Not perfect but nowhere near as bad as the papers would have you believe.

Quote:
No I didn't mean the UK is a net importer of power, it is a net importer of things in general - food, clothing, cars, builders(!) etc. of course it exports some stuff but relies on other countries to stock the shelves etc. and it seems rather unlikely that it would be possible to instantly produce the same as has been suggested by some MPs.
Ah, yes the UK does import a lot of produce as does France/Belgium etc. We also export a lot of produce including meat products. Remember the lamb protests some years ago? Indeed to replace all of it that comes from EU countries would not be a matter of a few days, but of course if the UK isn't buying it, who will buy it instead? Trade is a two way street so I fully expect the EU states to come to their senses, which is where I started with the negotiation shenanigans.
Old 17 Dec 2018, 14:08 (Ref:3870854)   #3288
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well there's one French company that isn't making a profit from hard working British families now. The Severn Bridge no longer has tolls

I expect they're still paid to maintain it though, and will likely make more money through Government contract than via the toll. Such is the way of things.

Interesting to read that this is the first time for 800 years I won't have to pay to go and see MiniMM.

Old 17 Dec 2018, 14:16 (Ref:3870858)   #3289
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Well there's one French company that isn't making a profit from hard working British families now. The Severn Bridge no longer has tolls

I expect they're still paid to maintain it though, and will likely make more money through Government contract than via the toll. Such is the way of things.

Interesting to read that this is the first time for 800 years I won't have to pay to go and see MiniMM.

I saw a piece about the ending of Severn Bridge Tolls on The One Show or something the other night. It featured someone who worked in one of the toll booths; he made some comment about losing his job, but he'd already admitted to being a moon-lighting airline steward, so in a way he'd been depriving someone else of a job!
Old 17 Dec 2018, 14:21 (Ref:3870860)   #3290
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:

Didn't realise you were that old Max.

You don't look it ...
Old 17 Dec 2018, 14:36 (Ref:3870862)   #3291
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:

Ah, yes the UK does import a lot of produce as does France/Belgium etc. We also export a lot of produce including meat products. Remember the lamb protests some years ago? Indeed to replace all of it that comes from EU countries would not be a matter of a few days, but of course if the UK isn't buying it, who will buy it instead? Trade is a two way street so I fully expect the EU states to come to their senses, which is where I started with the negotiation shenanigans.
Interestingly although a lot of veg in our local stores comes from Europe there are often extended periods when veg and salad stuff comes from much further afield. Kenya or Mexico for example. Often Morocco and Egypt too.

Assuming this perishable food stuff is flown in one assumes that would still be possible.

Might have to change the flight paths from Africa to avoid EU air space of course but assuming that can be done if necessary I can see that being good news for some countries and the air freight industry. Since prices don't seem to be so different I can't see a downside. (Other than Morocco where produce probably comes overland at the moment.)

I assume that Spain would not be averse to "shipping" product to Morocco for labelling before it is sent to the UK.

Not that I expect it to come to that - but with the calibre of people who seem to be involved with the alleged negotiations nothing would surprise me.

I would imagine that all the really smart people who might have been involved took one look at the issues and decided that there were good reasons to avoid any connection with the negotiations having to be declared on their cvs.
Old 17 Dec 2018, 14:44 (Ref:3870864)   #3292
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
Indeed which is why I pay for private medicine.

Again this is correct.

Yes the downside of paying all that tax in France is an infrastructure that dates back to the revolution.

I like it the way it is. Not perfect but nowhere near as bad as the papers would have you believe.

Unfortunately paying for private medical care isn't an option for everyone and some of those others might have believed Boris's implication that the NHS is in a terrible state due to the EU.

Some French infrastructure is up-to-date, like healthcare stuff.
I was always amused when the UK said they would introduce motorway tolls when the technology existed to make it seamless, couldn't help but wonder what the French had been using!

One difference between Belgian, German etc. exports to the UK is that the UK accounts for no more than 10% of any of the other countries trade, losing that isn't the same as the 45% the UK has with all of them.

Of course none of them want to lose the trade and the chances are the UK will just put up with any extra costs and carry on buying the same stuff - probably less of it though.
Vaguely related: todays news that an online retailer is struggling suggests that the drop in shop sales isn't entirely due to people buying stuff online, they might just be buying less stuff in general!
Old 17 Dec 2018, 15:14 (Ref:3870870)   #3293
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Unfortunately paying for private medical care isn't an option for everyone and some of those others might have believed Boris's implication that the NHS is in a terrible state due to the EU.
Frankly I don't think that was said. I believe what was said, and I thought it a bit daft, was that the money saved by leaving would go to the NHS. I have no idea why anyone would say that because clearly it can't happen.

Quote:
Some French infrastructure is up-to-date, like healthcare stuff.
Ok.

Quote:
I was always amused when the UK said they would introduce motorway tolls when the technology existed to make it seamless, couldn't help but wonder what the French had been using!
Well the Dart Charge works well, very similar to the systems elsewhere in the world. But yes there is always room for improvement.

Quote:
One difference between Belgian, German etc. exports to the UK is that the UK accounts for no more than 10% of any of the other countries trade, losing that isn't the same as the 45% the UK has with all of them.

Of course none of them want to lose the trade and the chances are the UK will just put up with any extra costs and carry on buying the same stuff - probably less of it though.

Vaguely related: today's news that an online retailer is struggling suggests that the drop in shop sales isn't entirely due to people buying stuff online, they might just be buying less stuff in general!
Hmm, not entirely sure those figures are correct since I think we buy more than that. Nonetheless a ten percent drop in sales/exports is no small volume and it's not going to be picked up by Canada. But much of those goods can be bought elsewhere and with shipping becoming increasingly efficient there's a real incentive to look beyond the EU for supplies of essentials.

Rather like Concorde, the EU idea has in my opinion, run its course.
Old 17 Dec 2018, 15:22 (Ref:3870871)   #3294
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Vaguely related: todays news that an online retailer is struggling suggests that the drop in shop sales isn't entirely due to people buying stuff online, they might just be buying less stuff in general!
Very likely.

New car sales by the major groups have been well down for months. I am told. Double digit % drops. And well into double digits at that.

Most are relying on Used sales to keep things running it seems.

That, perhaps, reflects the wider malaise.

The quality of goods I and my wife have bought recently is not great. Even for expensive stuff (in its marketplace) effective quality control seems absent more often than one would expect.

It used to be only Christmas that the retailers were loaded with junk to be given as gifts that no one would or could use. Now it seems that it is ever more difficult to escape the unusable or the short lifed.
Old 17 Dec 2018, 15:53 (Ref:3870876)   #3295
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Why, thank you!
Don't let it go to your head.
Old 17 Dec 2018, 16:28 (Ref:3870889)   #3296
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Exactly, and is especially difficult in some countries. When I retired to live in Spain, being below their state retirement age, I was unable to join the state health service (that has changed recently, or it's supposed to have done but that's another story) so took out private health care cover.

However, after a few years, I required to make a small (less than a couple of hundred Euro) claim, and was extremely surprised that the insurance company doubled the premium at the next renewal but paid it nevertheless. The following year, despite no further claims, the company doubled the premium yet again, and despite my complaints that it was unjustified, they stuck to their figure which I paid very reluctantly.

Then the following year, the insurance company simply wrote that they no longer wished to provide cover, and that was their final decision! Problem is that in Spain the rules and regulations concerning all forms of insurance is very firmly written in favour of the providers, usually to the vast detriment of the insured. And unlike in the UK, most policies are annually renewable, not lifetime based. This allows insurers to decide on a year by year basis whether they wish to maintain cover.

When it comes to things like car or house insurance, the insured has to notify the provider (in writing, and delivered to the company by registered post) at least two months prior to renewal if they wish to cease cover with that company. And that means that you won't have even received the renewal quote, so it's all a leap in the dark.

As for the advert about the possible extra funding on Boris' bus in the lead up to the referendum, it wasn't so much that he tried to convince the voters how much extra could go the NHS (£350 million per week), but the fact that the figure was totally wrong. The amount quoted was roughly the gross contribution that the UK makes, but after rebates, farming subsidies and other payments the UK receives, it is nowhere near that figure.
Old 17 Dec 2018, 18:58 (Ref:3870941)   #3297
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

New car sales by the major groups have been well down for months. I am told. Double digit % drops. And well into double digits at that.

Most are relying on Used sales to keep things running it seems.

That, perhaps, reflects the wider malaise.

Of course a lot of the new car sales drop in recent months has been due to lack of stock, as existing stock was cleared out prior to the new fuel economy / emission testing regime, and many manufacturers simply haven't got their products through the new testing procedure, so don't have the metal to shift.......

Some people would blame VW/Audi's Dieselgate for initiating this.....although a more realistic test has been needed for years
Old 17 Dec 2018, 19:04 (Ref:3870942)   #3298
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
May be your Alfa's are inizione then? There are so many "chances" to buy a look alike may be its better to go for a De Luxe with the Lotus trim and pay for what it is really. Given that the purpose is racing only, the technical difference and the performance will be minimal I guess.

Yep, my Spider is a 78 iniezione - fitted with the Spica mechanical injection system, although I'm contemplating replacing it with Webers I'd like to lose the ugly US-spec rubber bumpers too......

I'd say that for racing providing you don't have to get full papers for it, a replica would be much more cost-effective than a proper "matching numbers" car.
Old 17 Dec 2018, 19:24 (Ref:3870949)   #3299
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Exactly, and is especially difficult in some countries. When I retired to live in Spain, being below their state retirement age, I was unable to join the state health service (that has changed recently, or it's supposed to have done but that's another story) so took out private health care cover.

However, after a few years, I required to make a small (less than a couple of hundred Euro) claim, and was extremely surprised that the insurance company doubled the premium at the next renewal but paid it nevertheless. The following year, despite no further claims, the company doubled the premium yet again, and despite my complaints that it was unjustified, they stuck to their figure which I paid very reluctantly.

Then the following year, the insurance company simply wrote that they no longer wished to provide cover, and that was their final decision! Problem is that in Spain the rules and regulations concerning all forms of insurance is very firmly written in favour of the providers, usually to the vast detriment of the insured. And unlike in the UK, most policies are annually renewable, not lifetime based. This allows insurers to decide on a year by year basis whether they wish to maintain cover.

When it comes to things like car or house insurance, the insured has to notify the provider (in writing, and delivered to the company by registered post) at least two months prior to renewal if they wish to cease cover with that company. And that means that you won't have even received the renewal quote, so it's all a leap in the dark.

As for the advert about the possible extra funding on Boris' bus in the lead up to the referendum, it wasn't so much that he tried to convince the voters how much extra could go the NHS (£350 million per week), but the fact that the figure was totally wrong. The amount quoted was roughly the gross contribution that the UK makes, but after rebates, farming subsidies and other payments the UK receives, it is nowhere near that figure.
Mike, it's not that important but in my experience you are wrong.
Old 17 Dec 2018, 19:53 (Ref:3870954)   #3300
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Of course a lot of the new car sales drop in recent months has been due to lack of stock, as existing stock was cleared out prior to the new fuel economy / emission testing regime, and many manufacturers simply haven't got their products through the new testing procedure, so don't have the metal to shift.......

Some people would blame VW/Audi's Dieselgate for initiating this.....although a more realistic test has been needed for years
I'm not so sure Richard.

The information comes from a friend whose daughter had a very senior marketing coordination position with a major UK car sales conglomerate. Premium brands and lesser stuff.

This is not a new "we couldn't get all of the test done in time" position. They have been in this situation for around a year.

12 months ago my elder daughter took on a Volvo XC90 at what was a remarkably low lease cost for a 50K car (only the base model was available in a significantly good financial deal but even so). Any colour but white.

Back in August her husband got an even better deal on a Merc E220 "AMG" style Estate. Same sort of money but double the mileage included.

In both cases the deal on offer for the specs being offered were 40 or maybe 50% less than the nearest not-on-offer model.

I suspect that the Merc was related to a need to shift stock that could not be sold after 1st Sept, but that's not really the point. The stock existed because it have not been sold on time according to the predicted pattern.

None of this makes for adopting a comfortable view of the future. Sadly.

The ICE car manufacturers and the Fossil Fuel industry are both groups that are pinning their futures on the low political resistance path to electric vehicles and the hope of subsidies. Their challenge is to make the development both affordable and profitable. If will be interesting so see if they succeed.

The rest of the retail economy seems to be in a state of watching to see what happens rather than exhibiting any potential for influencing what happens. Excluding Amazon and similar operations. For now.
Closed Thread