Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 21 Apr 2008, 08:03 (Ref:2182632)   #26
al_sami
Racer

Bahrain
London
al_sami is a back marker
Average drivers from Europe can go and become superstars in the US.. hmmm American racing has no value, going around in circles is nothing special.

But good for her she won her first race, tactics helped her for sure. It is more Like Panis winning at Monaco 96, just luck! he never won again
Old 21 Apr 2008, 08:29 (Ref:2182660)   #27
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would'nt say that "Our Nige" was average, or Justin Wilson or even (to a lesser extent) Daniel Wheldon. It takes a large amount of skill and precision to keep one of those things out of the wall at 195+ mph. Granted, its a different style to circuit racing and can at times be tedious, but tough stuff all the same.

Quote:
But good for her she won her first race, tactics helped her for sure. It is more Like Panis winning at Monaco 96, just luck!
Strategy certainly helped her. But don't forget that she passed Castroneves on lap 198 and pulled out a 5.9 second lead.
Not too shabby! Well done Danica

Last edited by Peter Dunne; 21 Apr 2008 at 08:37.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 09:38 (Ref:2182715)   #28
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_sami
Average drivers from Europe can go and become superstars in the US.. hmmm American racing has no value, going around in circles is nothing special.

But good for her she won her first race, tactics helped her for sure. It is more Like Panis winning at Monaco 96, just luck! he never won again

Yeah, send over some more of those "average" drivers like N Mansell. Now, your "average" guys like M Blundell who didn't exactly became superstars...

Anytime you want to put L Hamilton in Sprint Car and run him against anyone named Kinser, I will happily stop what I am doing to watch. I will even be sure to tell Lewis who that was who went by him so fast...

Sorry for the off-topic thing but the Eurocentric nature of the above post was difficult for me to resist...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 10:10 (Ref:2182741)   #29
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunne
But don't forget that she passed Castroneves on lap 198
well, sort of!!

Helio says he was told to let her pass - and backed off accordingly. I'm surprised they didn't roll the dice (fuel) and race her.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 13:07 (Ref:2182901)   #30
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Yeah, send over some more of those "average" drivers like N Mansell. Now, your "average" guys like M Blundell who didn't exactly became superstars...

Anytime you want to put L Hamilton in Sprint Car and run him against anyone named Kinser, I will happily stop what I am doing to watch. I will even be sure to tell Lewis who that was who went by him so fast...

Sorry for the off-topic thing but the Eurocentric nature of the above post was difficult for me to resist...
Hamilton in a Nascar? That I would like to see! I reckon he'd be pretty good once he gets up to speed. It would also be interesting to see what Kyle Busch could do in an F1 car.

Danica has only ever suceeded due to strategy, she can't beat people in a straight fight and her crew knows it so they have to make clever calls on fuel to get her up there, she is an average driver who has made it into a top car because of her marketing potential.

Last edited by johntt; 21 Apr 2008 at 13:09.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 21 Apr 2008, 13:39 (Ref:2182929)   #31
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And yet Marco Andretti, whom she comfortably beat last year, is seen as the next big thing by some.

Ultimately, I think Marco is a major talent, but Danica is more than worthy of her seat IMO. She has her bad moments mind...
Old 21 Apr 2008, 16:12 (Ref:2183052)   #32
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
And yet Marco Andretti, whom she comfortably beat last year, is seen as the next big thing by some.

Ultimately, I think Marco is a major talent, but Danica is more than worthy of her seat IMO. She has her bad moments mind...
Marco is certainly something special.

O/T - is your sig a reference to Jorge Lorenzo or Peter de Lorenzo?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 21 Apr 2008, 17:42 (Ref:2183125)   #33
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congratulations to Danica! I had my doubts but she proved many of us wrong.

And great for IRL! Not only the PR of a woman winning but also another race winning American..The future is bright!
Old 21 Apr 2008, 21:01 (Ref:2183405)   #34
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I am not a Danica fan. I said she would win sooner or later. Fuel strategy? Almost all F1 races are won on fuel and certainly Napcar (see last week) and CC have been. She is a good driver but not super and prone to silly mistakes. So were Mario and Michael! Win more, probably, now that she has won. Johnscc's comments are not about Sprint Cup (Napcar) but about those fire breathing 850 hp front engined dirt sprewing 1000lb. methanol fueled sprint cars of the WOO etc. They run mostly on 1/4 to 1/2 mile tracks on dirt. There are at least 3 generations of Kinsers driving them and the King, Steve Kinser (who has run Indy, Napcar and IROC) has only won about 800 feature races. Counting his heat and dash races well over a 1000. His father has recently retired well into his 70's.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 21:47 (Ref:2183442)   #35
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink
Congratulations to Danica! I had my doubts but she proved many of us wrong.

And great for IRL! Not only the PR of a woman winning but also another race winning American..The future is bright!
Yeah, so far this year the only race winning American (isn't Graham Rahal lebanese? )

Anyway, a win's a win...and it's good it's out of the way for Danica finally. I think on this instance, it's okay for the 'woman factor' to be played up, it is a great acheivement - it's not just another race winner, it is the first female Indycar victory and deserves special recognition. The rest now, don't matter so much however - I hope this is effectively the demolition of that media-haze - and she's now just one of the boys.

Last edited by Hazard; 21 Apr 2008 at 21:51.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 21:53 (Ref:2183449)   #36
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
Marco is certainly something special.

O/T - is your sig a reference to Jorge Lorenzo or Peter de Lorenzo?
Jorge.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 00:59 (Ref:2183535)   #37
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Not sure what happened here, posted a reply that went up Xs 3...obviously I am jinxed so I will just go away now....mods, if you can restore my original I would appreciate it. If not, the other forum members would probably appreciate it as well!

Last edited by JohnSSC; 22 Apr 2008 at 01:03.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 00:59 (Ref:2183536)   #38
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Triple post???? what the heck??? Help mods!!
Old 22 Apr 2008, 06:02 (Ref:2183627)   #39
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news for Danica - for any driver to get their first win in the majors is a big deal, worth celebrating.

To those who peevishly say that 'she only got her drive because she's a woman', one thought:

How many great drivers never got the chance they deserved because they were women?
Old 22 Apr 2008, 06:59 (Ref:2183653)   #40
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
She won on a fuel gamble, not racing anyone on track.

She got to the level she got to by being a woman. Other drivers have won a lot more races since karting and have never got to the top.

She can drive a car, certainly better than I could ever do, but i doubt shes anything special.
Pretty much every Grand Prix from 1983 to 1988 was won on a fuel gamble......

A win is a win.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 17:24 (Ref:2184232)   #41
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and in the quiet DiSilvestro won the atlantic race the same day at longbeach
another girl wins
has this shown the change girls are in equal cars are capable of equal chances?
tlaent is talent
Old 22 Apr 2008, 21:34 (Ref:2184421)   #42
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Anyway, a win's a win...and it's good it's out of the way for Danica finally. I think on this instance, it's okay for the 'woman factor' to be played up, it is a great acheivement - it's not just another race winner, it is the first female Indycar victory and deserves special recognition. The rest now, don't matter so much however - I hope this is effectively the demolition of that media-haze - and she's now just one of the boys.
Agree on all points but the last - she is still a girl (or should I say young lady)
Old 23 Apr 2008, 05:33 (Ref:2184581)   #43
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats Danica. Well Deserved. As to the next big thing in IRL, watch Rahal. The kid can DRIVE!
Old 23 Apr 2008, 06:21 (Ref:2184591)   #44
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ON the whole the season offstart for the new unified AOWR couldn't have been better, with ex-CC share winning at the second race, and now with a woman winning the first major race in history
Old 23 Apr 2008, 12:52 (Ref:2184848)   #45
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay
So glad I caught it, a great historical moment, and just rewards for a driver who's put a lot into a league that has been floundering.
Indeed, she's put her body and soul into publicising things. Well body mainly. And a fair bit of mouth too.

But fair play a good win had, even if it was on strategy but she executed it well. She's always been moderately quick so this was always going to come.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 14:31 (Ref:2186610)   #46
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejester
Great news for Danica - for any driver to get their first win in the majors is a big deal, worth celebrating.

To those who peevishly say that 'she only got her drive because she's a woman', one thought:

How many great drivers never got the chance they deserved because they were women?
This was Danica's first win in any series above go-cart racing.

FWIW

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 27 Apr 2008, 15:22 (Ref:2188276)   #47
Ryan_Briscoe1
Racer

Australia
straya
Ryan_Briscoe1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
long overdue. winning is nothing new to her team mates.

I watched her on the Conan O'Brien show. Her arrogance is out of control. it created an awkward interview.

Anyone see the picture with her leaning on the trophy like she had just conquered Rome? She said she stood like that to show how much bigger her trophy was compared to Helio Castroneves' second place trophy. Maybe Helio Castroneves can let Danica lean on all 12 of his winner trophies.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 02:49 (Ref:2189752)   #48
Team Blitz
Rookie

United States
Columbus, Ohio
Team Blitz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also congrats to Bobby Rahal who hired her into the series, and brought her to the point where she became competent and a competitor. You cannot minimize her qualifying runs at Indy, which are done draftless and alone with nary a soul to chase. I respect her achievements. Nothing in racing at that level comes without hard work.