Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 28 Nov 2002, 10:18 (Ref:438513)   #1
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Konrad Motorsport is taking a Saleen to Daytona 24hrs

Ralf Kelleners and Tony Seider and Franz Konrad appear to be the likely driver line up according to this weeks AUTOSPORT.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 10:33 (Ref:438523)   #2
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Well they might be taking it there, but unless the regs are changed or Saleen have developed a 6 litre version yet it won't be racing as the current car isn't eligible.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 10:36 (Ref:438525)   #3
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well im sure Franz Konrad woudnt be taking his cars to the race unless they were eligable and Im certain that Autosport woudnt say that the car is going to the race unless they Knew for sure.

Hasnt a Saleen run in the Daytona 24hrs and Grand Am events before anyway?

Last edited by SALEEN S7R; 28 Nov 2002 at 10:43.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 10:45 (Ref:438530)   #4
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Well bearing in mind that Lister announced that they were taking a storm to Daytona but then withdrew when it was pointed out to them that there is a 6 litre limit in GTS I'd watch this space.

I have heard that there are plans afoot for a 6 litre engine but no confirmation yet.

Stop Press - The revised regs published on 20 November now include both Viper and saleen in GTS-eligible list

Presumably they realised the GTS field would be a bit threadbare without them!

Last edited by Graham Goodwin; 28 Nov 2002 at 10:55.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 10:46 (Ref:438531)   #5
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Oh and yes - saleens did run last year (4 of them in fact) but the 2003 race has entirely new regs.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 10:57 (Ref:438540)   #6
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
What is wrong with Autosport, I mean ok they get things wrong from time to time but then again so does everyone else dont they or maybe u never do? Oh but wait! u have just made one the Daytona 24hrs is November the 10th so seeing as its 2002 the Konrad Saleens are eligable!

Next year no but this year, yes.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 14:03 (Ref:438664)   #7
a_r_c_a
Racer

a_r_c_a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tell me where did you sleep last night?Ralf Kelleners, Tony Seiler and Franz Konrad are normal guys at Daytona. You don't need to read Autosport Mag.
Thanks Graham for your Lesson.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 14:09 (Ref:438669)   #8
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
They might be regulars but u dont know what car they are going to be in year after year...
Old 28 Nov 2002, 14:14 (Ref:438677)   #9
a_r_c_a
Racer

No? Are you serious? Do you think Konrad will welcome with a Ferrari Enzo? Ralf Kelleners, Tony Seiler and Franz Konrad are normal guys with norma cars at Daytona.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 14:17 (Ref:438679)   #10
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
True but where did u get a Ferrari Enzo from? Seeing as it hasnt been relased yet.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 14:18 (Ref:438682)   #11
a_r_c_a
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
where did u get a Ferrari Enzo from?
Do you know, do you know, do you know, just how I feel?
Old 28 Nov 2002, 14:21 (Ref:438685)   #12
MaxSport
Racer

MaxSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had dinner with a Mosler driver last week and he said that he expected a Saleen with a 6L motor for Daytona. Corvettes too?
Old 28 Nov 2002, 14:21 (Ref:438686)   #13
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
I make plenty of mistakes - just ask my missus!

The date of the Rolex 24 however wasn't one of them! I never mentioned the date of the race, merely the date of the revision to the regulations which was November 2Oth

And BTW the 24 hours wasn't on November 10th, that was the Grand-Am finale - the 24 hours is on Feb 1-2nd 2003

I do find it interesting however that they have seen fit to change the regulations - It could well be a GTS car that wins overall at Daytona (again) with the big prototypes now out of the picture.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 14:27 (Ref:438694)   #14
MaxSport
Racer

MaxSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PS-

Don't be surprised if they do away with GTS altogether in 2004. Maybe the AGT cars will continue, but not GTS cars like the Saleen or Mosler.

Mosler should have enough cars built soon so that it will be ACO legal. I would say that Mosler will have no choice but the ALMS if they want to race in N. America.

Besides, GTS may become the top class if there isn't enough interest in LMP cars.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 14:29 (Ref:438695)   #15
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
The AUTOSPORT events calender says its November the 10th this year, has the date been changed?
Old 28 Nov 2002, 14:32 (Ref:438700)   #16
a_r_c_a
Racer

Oooh, take a piece of Autosport.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 14:36 (Ref:438706)   #17
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Right and ur point is?
Old 28 Nov 2002, 14:43 (Ref:438712)   #18
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saleen S7R you can see the 2003 rules in www.grand-am.com in pdf format.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 14:45 (Ref:438715)   #19
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Thanks man.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 14:46 (Ref:438716)   #20
a_r_c_a
Racer

That Guy only think in Crash.net or Autosport, he's walking down the street. Show him good sites E46.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 15:02 (Ref:438737)   #21
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous posting!

The Rolex 24 is not in November that meeting was another Grand-Am race entirely
Old 28 Nov 2002, 15:44 (Ref:438781)   #22
BobN
Racer

BobN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham Goodwin
It could well be a GTS car that wins overall at Daytona (again) with the big prototypes now out of the picture.
Doesn't Gentilozzi's Jag fit the new rules? It ran in GTS last year and finished 5th overall and seemed to have the 7 liter Saleens covered. At 6 liters the Saleen should be even farther away from the Jag. Unless somehow the advantage the Jag had last year (tires, etc.)has been legislated out I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it take overall if entered.

Bob
Old 28 Nov 2002, 16:02 (Ref:438788)   #23
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
I believe the Jag clone is eligible and having had the chance now to do a back of a fag packet calculation I find that I was right after all - it is a 6 litre limit - Vipers and saleens can enter as long as they run a smaller engine!
Old 28 Nov 2002, 16:21 (Ref:438794)   #24
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I believe the Jag clone is eligible
Yes it is; it ran this year as a "precursor" to next year's tubeframe GTS cars. 6l engine, and basically an upgraded TransAm car (so it has nothing whatsoever to do with a Jag road car). Not sure if Rocketsports will be there again, though.
A 6l Saleen would be a surprise, but a welcome one I guess.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 16:44 (Ref:438804)   #25
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I'm not sure what all the fuss is over. The Viper/Saleen/C5R were never removed from eligibility. The engine rules are the same as they have been now for almost a year for 03'. If these cars wish to run, it must be with a 6l engine.. nothing has changed.

I can't for the life of me understand why someone would both converting to a 6l engine, the costs involved and the sorting, and then be barely faster then the GT cars. It certainly won't keep up with the AGT cars, nor does it have a chance with the GT1 Porsche.

This doesn't make any sense.