Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 18 May 2003, 20:29 (Ref:602848)   #1
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cadwell

Hi all
I recall from watching an old Rallycross Video i think it was early 80's an event with european drivers at a meeting at cadwell park.I beleave it may have been an International event which have been held before! Having been to a couple at Brands Hatch.Cadwell was one of my favourite tracks with the tight hairpin and the up an down hills which made it like the swedish and Norwegian circuits.I recall Pat Doran having his first outing there with the RS200 and also the Man i used to follow reguarly in Europe and in the British Championships John Welch.It was at this event that the Astra caught fire coming down to the Hair pin and as he rounded it the flames were licking out from under the door when he pulled over for the marshalls to rescue the car.
Anybody know why the rallycross events stop at cadwell as this was a superb track sitting in a bowl if you like the noise from the cars was great.
Old 19 May 2003, 20:10 (Ref:603894)   #2
Inside_Info
Rookie

Inside_Info should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cadwell Park

I think the meeting you refer to was in either 1987 or 1988, I found a copy of the program for it a few months ago, and filed it away. It was definitely after March '87 as thats when I passed my driving test and I went on my own.

I agree that Cadwell was a great venue from a spectators point of view, a large part of the circuit being visible from most vantage points...

Can anyone tell me what the airfield circuits such as Blyton are like? If they're anything like normal circuits, I think I'll give it a miss... (I remember going to a Sunday market at Blyton when I was about 5 or 6... long before rallycross made an appearance and it was the closest thing to hell on earth... windy and VERY cold... I still have the bobble hat my parents bought me!!!!! it must have been pretty bleak to have stayed so fresh in my memory!!!)
Old 19 May 2003, 20:59 (Ref:603944)   #3
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well unfortunattly you may well still have to wear your bobble hat like most airfields they are always exposed to the elements! pretty much like Croft as the weather is some what of a lottery.But from watching the racing i would say Blyton is probaly one of the Best with good overall veiwing pretty much the same as croft.So take your hat and possibly your mittens too and enjoy the fast and exciting racing.
Old 20 May 2003, 09:49 (Ref:604432)   #4
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The meeting took place in March 1989. Schanche,Gollop etc were there in what was called the British Open international rallycross championship which was the second of two rounds, as the first round was at Brands Hatch. There were some other europeans to.....still got the entry list if you want me to publish it here.

The race where John Welch caught fire was the British championship in the summer of 1990, which was also as you say where Pat Doran made his debut. No international drivers raced at that race