Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Aug 2019, 15:18 (Ref:3921823)   #1001
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd really like to see him pitch his talent against Norris or Russell, he can afford to buy the drive.
Old 7 Aug 2019, 23:12 (Ref:3921872)   #1002
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrumpet View Post
I'd really like to see him pitch his talent against Norris or Russell, he can afford to buy the drive.
It would be good for both the fans and the teams. He is a known commodity and it seems he knows car setup and can articulate it. Would be good to see him in either car testing but I think the rules sadly prohibit it and teams would find a way to screw things up
Old 8 Aug 2019, 07:27 (Ref:3921906)   #1003
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alonso has had a melt down every time he has finished up in a car that couldn’t win.Thats why he left F1 last year.That means the only options he would take are Mercedes,Red Bull and Ferrari.No chance of a drive with any of those because of respectively Lewis,Honda and long memories.
Old 9 Aug 2019, 16:24 (Ref:3922097)   #1004
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
It would be good for both the fans and the teams. He is a known commodity and it seems he knows car setup and can articulate it. Would be good to see him in either car testing but I think the rules sadly prohibit it and teams would find a way to screw things up
As seems to be a Royal pian in the Ar$e
Old 9 Aug 2019, 21:48 (Ref:3922138)   #1005
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed, I'd love to know why McLaren took him back, perhaps only to prove the first time wasn't a monumental cock-up?
Old 10 Aug 2019, 09:15 (Ref:3922173)   #1006
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Because they let bygones be bygones and wanted him to help develop the car into a winner
Old 12 Aug 2019, 21:27 (Ref:3922493)   #1007
greentrumpet
Racer

So. instead of grassing up the team and potentially stiffing Hamilton's first crack at WDC he snipes endlessly at the new engine supplier and persuades them to go to Renault. Proper team player, that. I would really like to see him pay for a seat against Norris or Russell.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 18:40 (Ref:3922755)   #1008
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrumpet View Post
Indeed, I'd love to know why McLaren took him back, perhaps only to prove the first time wasn't a monumental cock-up?
And at least now they have confirmation it was.
Old 14 Aug 2019, 19:40 (Ref:3922766)   #1009
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Kubica needs to realise he cannot do F1 even in a Williams...and leave. I wonder how much he/someone is paying to keep him there?
I think it was during testing before the season, Sky analysed his steering wheel technique during oversteer/sideways stuff etc and his reaction with his hands was not quick enough. Very sad, but true..
Old 14 Aug 2019, 22:58 (Ref:3922793)   #1010
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Kubica needs to realise he cannot do F1 even in a Williams...and leave. I wonder how much he/someone is paying to keep him there?
I think it was during testing before the season, Sky analysed his steering wheel technique during oversteer/sideways stuff etc and his reaction with his hands was not quick enough. Very sad, but true..
Not wanting to be cruel but Kubica needs to realise he cannot do F1 and Williams need to give the seat up to someone else. It was a brave attempt, on Kubica's part but realistically, did it ever have a chance to succeed?
Old 14 Aug 2019, 23:33 (Ref:3922794)   #1011
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe the winner of the W series could be a starter here...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Aug 2019, 00:09 (Ref:3922796)   #1012
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Maybe the winner of the W series could be a starter here...
And why not.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 06:24 (Ref:3922808)   #1013
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Not wanting to be cruel but Kubica needs to realise he cannot do F1 and Williams need to give the seat up to someone else. It was a brave attempt, on Kubica's part but realistically, did it ever have a chance to succeed?
He probably does. But his Orlen sponsorship is paying quite a lot and don’t forget he is getting a substantial salary. Unlikely to give that up as could his last ever big pay packet.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 06:25 (Ref:3922809)   #1014
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
And why not.
No superlicence points and miles off the pace?
Old 15 Aug 2019, 06:56 (Ref:3922813)   #1015
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Perfect for the team in question
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Aug 2019, 07:28 (Ref:3922814)   #1016
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Is this a fact or speculation? I understood that the W Formula was sanctioned in order to provide the necessary qualifications for the Superlicence. That said Jamie Chadwick is no slouch.

However, I'm not a fan of the series personally since, as in Chadwick's case, females can compete equally with males as far as I'm concerned.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 08:30 (Ref:3922817)   #1017
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My understanding is that the winner of the W series gets some superlicence points, but needs more to qualify for the superlicence. Not sure if it would permit them to take part in a test session,or whether with testing so limited,they would be permitted to do so. A few laps during a filming day doesn't actually achieve much and I expect by now the team at the Williams simulator have a good deal of data to work with.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 08:46 (Ref:3922818)   #1018
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wonder if Latifi will be put in the car before too long. Maybe their only option to replace Kubica
Old 15 Aug 2019, 09:37 (Ref:3922821)   #1019
peebee2
Veteran

The 2020 may qualify for a small number of points if the FIA is satisfied as to the quality of the field. No points this season.

I have to say, against expectation, I’ve really enjoyed the series and coverage this year.

I really look forward to unearthing some undiscovered driving gem in the future but it’s not likely to be from this years ‘frontrunners.’
Old 15 Aug 2019, 09:47 (Ref:3922823)   #1020
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ok, thanks for clarifying.
Old 7 Sep 2019, 13:26 (Ref:3926349)   #1021
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, on to Monza. Two quicker cars break down in Q1 and STILL no Q2. Monza - a low downforce track so maybe a lack of downforce not such an issue but still dog slow. Poor aero generally? - no downforce loads of drag - or / plus poor chassis?. It’s a LONG way back.....
Old 11 Sep 2019, 19:12 (Ref:3927454)   #1022
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
a low downforce track so maybe a lack of downforce not such an issue but still dog slow. Poor aero generally?
To save money, Williams did not bother to design, build or bring a low downforce rear wing for Spa and Monza... that explains their unimpressive straight line speeds.

Note the deep wing on the Williams compared to rival cars...

Old 11 Sep 2019, 19:56 (Ref:3927465)   #1023
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
To save money, Williams did not bother to design, build or bring a low downforce rear wing for Spa and Monza... that explains their unimpressive straight line speeds.
I am not sure what to think of that. It raises more questions. I know they are underfunded, but in the end, I would think that normally they would have had a low downforce setup like everyone else. I can't remember, but did they have a special Monaco setup (I assume teams have a unique Monaco setup beyond the changes required for the tight turns).

Are they...

* So underfunded that they can't do proper development for all expected scenarios?
* Focusing attention elsewhere (i.e. have fully abandoned development of the 2019 car)?
* All of the above?

I guess my prior thought is that while underfunded, their bigger issue was internal/management issues (which resulted in the poorly designed and late car). But now I wonder if more is going on that if they can't even attempt to bring the right aero spec to races. Are they bringing ANY development bits for the 2019 car to races at this point? I seem to remember that before the summer break they brought updates to the car.

Richard
Old 11 Sep 2019, 20:42 (Ref:3927476)   #1024
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I seem to remember that before the summer break they brought updates to the car.

In Germany, Williams brought new bargeboards, new rear wing endplates, and a new floor. Steady does it, I say... The update was said to be worth 0.3-0.4 seconds per lap -- a wonderful gain to steadily close the gap to P18!

The package also included a revised upper pivot for the upper front wishbone, to change the front end geometry. However only Russell has chosen to run this, and Kubica went back to the old front suspension.

Still no sign of an improved front wing... Be it a Red Bull style or a Ferrari style.

The packaging of the actual mechanical bits seems to be very nicely done on the other hand, the contoured radiator is particularly spiffy:

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 11 Sep 2019 at 21:01.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 21:02 (Ref:3927479)   #1025
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Was digging elsewhere and similar comments. Also... apparently Kubica now has a custom steering wheel with most buttons moved to the left side. I also didn't know that he uses only his left hand to up/down shift. I always supposed his damage hand was mostly a strength issue, but apparently it lacks dexterity as well.

Regardless, it looks like Williams has VERY limited ability to bring upgrades to races and are not focusing on limited use (select circuit) aero components at all. It all comes across like they are hanging on by their fingernails?

Richard