Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 12 Mar 2008, 17:55 (Ref:2150153)   #1
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Formula One flyaway race pollution

Hello.

For a college assingment i need to write about the pollution that transporting cars and equipment to a F1 flyaway race creates.

I have two questions.

How many Planes are used? And does anyone have emmisions for the amount of travelling?

Sorry if it dosnt make sense im not to good at wording things.

If you can help then many thanks, if not then thanks for taking the time to look anyway.
Old 12 Mar 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2150241)   #2
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh you poor bugger.

I take it you are a motorsport enthusiast (why else would you be here) and they picked on you specifically to do this because of that.

Here are a couple of things that could help

What to say to environmentalist opponents of motor racing? (please dont start this one up again)

It may also worth checking out other motorsport catogries that fly away

- IRL, Twin Ring Motegi

- Champcar (before IRL merge), Surfers Australia, Belgiun, Netherlands, in 2003 went to Brands & Germany

- V8Cupercars, Bahrain and New Zealand (also did one China round). 30 cars 2 planes

Maybe you can post your paper once complete. Good luck
Old 12 Mar 2008, 19:39 (Ref:2150253)   #3
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you a sports car racing fan or not?

May be the air quality and pollution levels during the Chinese Olympics. or what the Chinese government is doing to reduce pollution levels ( which is quite funny and ironic) may be a more appropriate research paper?
Old 12 Mar 2008, 20:35 (Ref:2150285)   #4
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good point AU N EGL

After having a think about it you could just turn your paper around and instead of bagging the Motorsport industry spin it in the direction of many categories are taking responsible steps for the environment, examples below

IRL Ethanol will fuel the IndyCar

Quote:
Beginning in 2007, the fuel will be 100 percent fuel-grade ethanol in IndyCar Series cars, the same fuel that has the potential to replace at least 10 percent of the nation’s gasoline supply.
A1GP What is Greener Racing?

Toyota Racing Series (New Zealand)

Biofuel Grand Prix a world first

Bio-Fuel World First Puts Toyota on Pole

Also I should have mentioned earlier A1GP obviously flyaway, Article here

What happens at an A1GP Race, Logistics

Quote:
Transporting 50 cars around the globe, and all the equipment needed to run them is a huge operation. Approximately 250 tonnes of freight are transported over 40,000 miles over an A1 Grand Prix season. It takes two Boeing 747s to transport all of this equipment to the eight flyaway races in the 2005/06 season.

On F1 Fly Away Logistics
Quote:
The flyaway races pose even more of a logistical challenge. As Formula One expands into the every corner of the globe, the team is becoming more and more reliant on air freight. “The transportation of the equipment to flyaway races is managed by FOM (Formula One Management),” explains Gwilym. “We’re allowed 22-24 tonnes of freight plus the cars. We will pack all the equipment into specially designed ‘pods’ in Brackley and then transfer them to Stansted airport in four of our articulated trucks. We’re given a certain slot time to arrive in, then all our pods will be weighed and put on to three chartered Boeing 747 freighters. The next time we will see the freight is when the team arrive at our allocated garage at the particular race. At the end of the race the process starts again, but in reverse.”

If we are not careful whats next, F1 to switch to four-cylinder, bio-fuel engines? Don’t laugh it has already been suggested EU calls on F1 to switch to four-cylinder, bio-fuel engines

Please please some stop this mad mad thinking

Last edited by NAC; 12 Mar 2008 at 20:42.
Old 12 Mar 2008, 22:34 (Ref:2150371)   #5
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If we are not careful whats next, F1 to switch to four-cylinder, bio-fuel engines? Don’t laugh it has already been suggested EU calls on F1 to switch to four-cylinder, bio-fuel engines

Please please some stop this mad mad thinking
Being an Ex- University Professor and Very Strong environmentalists ( I grow and harvest trees as one of my several business) the constant talk of global warming, CO2 foot print per person is a load of CR*P by uninformed, underpaid, ppl who THINK too much and DO too little and governments who are having political problems from within.

If the EU is making some or yelling about changes, this is when I back King Burnie and FOM to do what they did to Belgium when the Tobacco challenges came up. Dont give them a race for a few years. OUCH wow did that hurt that areas economy.

Take the races ELSE WHERE. There are many counties out side of the EU who would love to have and promote these F1 races.

I bring up again, if you are a sports car fan or fan of motor racing, do a turn about. Show something to PROMOTE motor racing, or show how motor racing is good for the economies of those areas.

Or do a research paper on how the ALMS is working with the US EPA ( Environmental Protection Agency) or how FOM is looking at new ways to use different fuels and energy recovery systems which intern will help technology transfer to the manufactures and back to the general public.

We cant go back to the dark ages, oh wait, the CO2 and pollutions levels were HIGHER in the dark ages( industrial revolutions era) then they are now.

My apologies to the OP and the Mods as this is a MAJOR hot button of mine. I am an environmentalist and I race sports cars, a Corvette to be exact.

and NAC has provided you with many good links on how to PROMOTE motor racing and the environment.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 12 Mar 2008 at 22:39.
Old 13 Mar 2008, 06:06 (Ref:2150534)   #6
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux
Hello.

For a college assingment i need to write about the pollution that transporting cars and equipment to a F1 flyaway race creates.

... And does anyone have emmisions for the amount of travelling?
The answer is ZERO

Since (remembering here) 2000 the FIA has purchased 100% off sets for the F1 emmissions, including travel

THere was some press stuff about 12 months ago when Honda launched "my earth dream" and then the FIA said, "hey guys we are already ahead of you", I think they quoted the number of tonnes they off set at the time with some tree farm in Mexico or the like. Do a search on this site, but also go to the FIA site
Old 13 Mar 2008, 11:00 (Ref:2150674)   #7
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks guys your stars, the paper dosnt need to be about formula one specifically, just thought it would be easier to cover a well known series.

A little known fact for you.

There are more co2 emmissions from fans travelling to a Manchester United football game than there are in a whole season of english club racing.

Makes you think dosnt it.
Old 13 Mar 2008, 12:15 (Ref:2150719)   #8
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift
The answer is ZERO

Since (remembering here) 2000 the FIA has purchased 100% off sets for the F1 emmissions, including travel

THere was some press stuff about 12 months ago when Honda launched "my earth dream" and then the FIA said, "hey guys we are already ahead of you", I think they quoted the number of tonnes they off set at the time with some tree farm in Mexico or the like. Do a search on this site, but also go to the FIA site
I remember something about that now.

Also saw something about how countries and companies are buying, selling, trading plus futures / options on CO2 and pollutions.

Heck they are selling this as a commodity. If that isn't the epitome of Capitalizium, optioning off emission and CO2 levels.
Old 13 Mar 2008, 20:41 (Ref:2151116)   #9
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux
A little known fact for you.

There are more co2 emmissions from fans travelling to a Manchester United football game than there are in a whole season of english club racing.

Makes you think dosnt it.
Fantastic info, if anyone gives you a suggestion that motorsports should be banned we tell them we should ban football 1st
Old 13 Mar 2008, 21:28 (Ref:2151154)   #10
Farbrooke
Racer

Farbrooke has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Don.y forget to try comparing with amount used by politicians in a weeks transport - including the European ones flying back and forth
Old 13 Mar 2008, 22:03 (Ref:2151178)   #11
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farbrooke
Don.y forget to try comparing with amount used by politicians in a weeks transport - including the European ones flying back and forth
And that doesn't even count all the HOT AIR and C02 they spit out while they are in session.....
Old 14 Mar 2008, 14:48 (Ref:2151743)   #12
Tainan
Racer

United Kingdom
Sussex
Tainan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simple, just tell them its negligible.
Old 14 Mar 2008, 23:45 (Ref:2152043)   #13
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Tux I think you have caught Max on the hop, he read this thread and has come out with the following FIA Statement as a counter measure

FIA President outlines his Vision for the Greener Future of Formula One
Old 18 Mar 2008, 09:47 (Ref:2155431)   #14
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
Fantastic info, if anyone gives you a suggestion that motorsports should be banned we tell them we should ban football 1st
Don't know if that is a valid reason for banning football, but it's certainly a valid reason for banning Man UTD!
Old 18 Mar 2008, 11:19 (Ref:2155503)   #15
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
IIRC Golf, the Olympics (even averaged over the two years between events), Soccer, Bike racing, Athletics, swimming, skiing, American baseball and American Football all produce more emissions each year than the total of MS, mainly due to the numbers of spectators/officials/players travelling to events in planes/cars.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 12:14 (Ref:2155551)   #16
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200Datto27
IIRC Golf, the Olympics (even averaged over the two years between events), Soccer, Bike racing, Athletics, swimming, skiing, American baseball and American Football all produce more emissions each year than the total of MS, mainly due to the numbers of spectators/officials/players traveling to events in planes/cars.
Absolutely, but the economic benefit of these events basically tells the GREEN BEENIES ppl to shove it.

Most Greenie Beenie loud mouths are on the eco terrorists watch list by Government Agencies.
Old 1 Apr 2008, 07:57 (Ref:2166721)   #17
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Alright tux it must be due by now. Hope your going to post it for us all to read

NAC