Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 1 Jul 2008, 21:33 (Ref:2241818)   #426
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Ooohh yeah , Vitaphone Dome S102 with a Maseratti V12 stuffed into the back of it , and a LAA Oreca Courage (new) with a Corvette engine in it would be the sort of thing id like to see !!!
Old 1 Jul 2008, 21:38 (Ref:2241827)   #427
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
None of those will happen Dome are chasing a works deal.

3 S102's exist, the one we saw at Le Mans (sn.3), one that did a lot of testing (sn.2) and the one that did the crash test (sn.1).

The reason they were at Le Mans was to prove themselves to a manufacturer - and its not AIM!!
Old 1 Jul 2008, 22:08 (Ref:2241850)   #428
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Toyota,Toyota,Toyota! (It's my mark,you see )
Old 1 Jul 2008, 23:27 (Ref:2241896)   #429
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
So , if Vitaphone for example , approached Dome for 2 S102's , they wouldnt sell them ?
Old 2 Jul 2008, 00:37 (Ref:2241914)   #430
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't there a comment from somebody somewhere about Lamborghini showing an interest in prototype manufacturers? I've previously written of Lambo being the VAG's most likely option for F1 (IMHO) but if STR was too expensive and they wished to have a racing program with a real chance of success, they could do worse than stuff that glorious V12 into the back of an S102 and glue their badge on the front.....

Realistically though, the project is aimed at attracting Toyota's hybrid engine.
Old 2 Jul 2008, 11:00 (Ref:2242125)   #431
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
So , if Vitaphone for example , approached Dome for 2 S102's , they wouldnt sell them ?
Correct - Dome don't really sell racecars, like say Lola.

People keep saying Toyota but Dome has closer links with Honda these days, and don't forget Nissan and Mitsubishi
Old 2 Jul 2008, 11:38 (Ref:2242145)   #432
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the rumours were Toyota, but I can see where Honda would come from. What if Maserati approached, with Vitaphone as the works team? I know how unlikely it is (remember those flying pigs we saw at Le Mans this year?), but theoretically...
Old 2 Jul 2008, 11:51 (Ref:2242157)   #433
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Home counties or a racetrack.
Speedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSpeedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[quote=Malfunction Junction]Wasn't there a comment from somebody somewhere about Lamborghini showing an interest in prototype manufacturers?quote]

That would be me Though that was my personal dream not Lamborghini's unfortunatley

If a major manufacturer doesn't want to buy/use the cars then what do Dome do then? Customer cars....?
Old 2 Jul 2008, 12:36 (Ref:2242184)   #434
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Correct - Dome don't really sell racecars, like say Lola.

People keep saying Toyota but Dome has closer links with Honda these days, and don't forget Nissan and Mitsubishi
Come on ..... what about the RfH and Den bla Avis , not to mention Chamberlain and T2M .....

I know they dont sell like a Lola does , but you honestly think that Dome wouldnt sell 2 chassis to someone with the reddies ? After all ,they are in it for the money , are they not ?

I
Old 2 Jul 2008, 13:33 (Ref:2242216)   #435
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Quote:
If a major manufacturer doesn't want to buy/use the cars then what do Dome do then? Customer cars....?
No. Probably run the cars themselves or not do Le Mans and stick to profitable stuff like Super GT.

Quote:
Come on ..... what about the RfH and Den bla Avis , not to mention Chamberlain and T2M .....
Doesn't matter who ran them or what colours they were painted a number of the S101s (most of them I think) were just lent or leased to the customers and not sold. I think Lammers may have owned his s101's but not the .5, and Goh I think owns one, but the Kondo, T2M etc.. all belong to Dome.

Quote:
but you honestly think that Dome wouldnt sell 2 chassis to someone with the reddies ? After all ,they are in it for the money , are they not ?
Thats exactly what they said to me yesterday. They will not sell, don't want the hassle of dealing with customers, they are in this to become a full works team. They are in it to win Le Mans not to make money selling cars, that is not the business model of Dome.

They could make more money selling the artwork from the walls of the factory than from selling a pair of LMP's.
Old 2 Jul 2008, 14:32 (Ref:2242246)   #436
The Badger
Veteran

Right then ..... that sorts that out !!!
Old 2 Jul 2008, 17:16 (Ref:2242335)   #437
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dome is a very interesting company. They are exceptionally good at what they do, but they seem to appreciate things like art, form and function for their own sake as much as for the lowest levels of fiscal application (or 'reality') if you will. The business model behind it definitely exists, and is solid, but it's not nearly as simplistic as those which we normally equate with constructors. I expect that if Dome never attracts customers for the S102 (works customers, I mean) or the technology demonstrated within, they will still be justifiably proud of their accomplishments and of the car itself, and have no regrets about producing and running it.
Old 2 Jul 2008, 18:05 (Ref:2242375)   #438
The Badger
Veteran

They certainly built a quick car outta the box , and are doing it at a very interesting time meaning , that the Japanese manufacturers are actively looking around and showing interest .

I bet Mr.Courage made a nice little packet for himself , having supplied the tub for Acura .
Old 2 Jul 2008, 21:51 (Ref:2242586)   #439
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And it's a good thing he was selling to Hughes, or the trash that got talked after by Acura about how rubbish the chassis was would have helped make sure he did not make many more pretty pennies in the future.

By trash I mean negative comments, not unjustified negative comments.
Old 2 Jul 2008, 23:13 (Ref:2242667)   #440
The Badger
Veteran

I kinda disagree with what was said by Acura . We know from Gounon that the car was bloody quick , just had reliability issues . Gounon never cribbed about the chassis , so I really cant understand the comments from Acura !!!
Old 3 Jul 2008, 05:00 (Ref:2242785)   #441
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
Gounon did not have to worry about things like chassis flex or pickup point degradation. Teams, and especially Acura, did. They did not like what they saw and a lot of the stuff was addressed.

Just to be realistic, do you really think you know more than Nick Wirth and Acura about the quality of the Courage tub/components? I know I don't.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 07:28 (Ref:2242838)   #442
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I kinda disagree with what was said by Acura . We know from Gounon that the car was bloody quick , just had reliability issues . Gounon never cribbed about the chassis , so I really cant understand the comments from Acura !!!
There is a big difference between being a quick car pre Porsche Spyder & Diesel P1, and a quick car now
Old 3 Jul 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2242860)   #443
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
Gounon did not have to worry about things like chassis flex or pickup point degradation. Teams, and especially Acura, did. They did not like what they saw and a lot of the stuff was addressed.

Just to be realistic, do you really think you know more than Nick Wirth and Acura about the quality of the Courage tub/components? I know I don't.
Just to be realistic ..... of course not !!!

I wasnt aware of pickup point degradation issues . What could make that happen ..... bad layup in the buildup process ?

Why didnt Gounon have to worry about these issues ?
Old 16 Jul 2008, 00:52 (Ref:2251663)   #444
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interview with Dome

July 15, 2008

http://translate.google.com/translat...e.php?sid=6018
Old 16 Jul 2008, 02:07 (Ref:2251677)   #445
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting they're looking to run two cars and stick with Judd (I assume if they don't get a factory deal).

Much as I 'd like them to run in the LMS, possibly with a customer, I'd like to see them race in the Japanese series alongside YGK and whoever else turns up.

That's more beneficial for the future of the sport.
Old 16 Jul 2008, 13:11 (Ref:2251931)   #446
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
There is no Japanese series
Old 16 Jul 2008, 13:38 (Ref:2251938)   #447
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
There is no Japanese series
OK Asian series
Old 16 Jul 2008, 14:09 (Ref:2251960)   #448
The Badger
Veteran

From what I can guess ..... they have decided to keep their foot in and development the S102 , using their technology possibliy to build a new car for a return in 2010 by a manufacturer . Just a guess ..... but whatever its a remarkable turn around from their view a couple of weeks ago .

Great move , lovely car ...
Old 16 Jul 2008, 16:10 (Ref:2252007)   #449
Sarthe82
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey
Sarthe82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if Mr. Lammers will be getting a phone call....
Old 16 Jul 2008, 17:16 (Ref:2252050)   #450
The Badger
Veteran

I hope so ..... he has big links with Dome ..... and a workshop too . Does it still exist ?