Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 31 Jul 2006, 09:23 (Ref:1668644)   #1
welshgal_2006
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
welshgal_2006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most Embarrassing Moment

After this weekend,I feel I should start a thread so that I don't feel totally stupid. To cut long story short, at Wiscombe this weekend, I went for Flying lessons this weekend off the back of Tim and Will mason's car. Hilarious for everyone who could see it, but a little painful for me. So I was just wondering what embarrassing moments everyone else has had while marshalling. And this incident was to add to the tyre chasing at Shelsley
Old 31 Jul 2006, 10:01 (Ref:1668685)   #2
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ouch

Mine has been well documented. I fainted during a demonstration from a rescue unit and sustained some injuries to my chin...

Apparently some of the club's top brass thought it was an incredibly realistic simulation.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 12:17 (Ref:1668830)   #3
Ty Nicholson
Racer

Ty Nicholson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

getting the heel of my boot caught by the front left wheel of a Formulae BMW whilst pushing and steering it backwards in the Assembly Area at the recent Croft BTCC meeting. My fellow marshal, professional as ever, continued to push the car backwards at speed resulting in knocking me to the ground and having the wheel roll right over my leg and kneecap. Thanks Tony
Old 31 Jul 2006, 12:23 (Ref:1668839)   #4
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For other marshals "Embarrassing Moments" see also:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52898
Old 31 Jul 2006, 13:14 (Ref:1668883)   #5
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
ooh look who's trying to change the subject.

someone ask him about the inflatable pumpkin incident!
Old 31 Jul 2006, 13:18 (Ref:1668889)   #6
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
ooh look who's trying to change the subject.

someone ask him about the inflatable pumpkin incident!
Must resist... must resist...

And what about the strange noises coming from the observers hut after it was caught (Terri)

Old 31 Jul 2006, 13:22 (Ref:1668895)   #7
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I had NOTHING to do with the inflatable pumpkin that decided to try and invade Brands Hatch during a Caterham practise session. It was the wind that ripped it from its mounting!

Cheers Tim for the expert "chopstick" maneuver with the flags and the subsequent deflation.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1668911)   #8
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON
I had NOTHING to do with the inflatable pumpkin that decided to try and invade Brands Hatch during a Caterham practise session. It was the wind that ripped it from its mounting!

Cheers Tim for the expert "chopstick" maneuver with the flags and the subsequent deflation.
It wasn't me who did the deflation! It was the non-inflatable pumpkin who did it in the observers box...
Old 31 Jul 2006, 13:59 (Ref:1668933)   #9
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSheds
It wasn't me who did the deflation! It was the non-inflatable pumpkin who did it in the observers box...
Sounds like an answer in Cluedo. "it was EvilPumpkin, in the Observers Box, with the extremely sharp object"

The thing is that I always get the blame for that one. You and the crew from Post 9 (it was 9 wasn't it?) are the only people that can vouch for my innocence!
Old 31 Jul 2006, 18:56 (Ref:1669186)   #10
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshgal_2006
So I was just wondering what embarrassing moments everyone else has had while marshalling.
1. Falling flat on my back in the gravel trap at Clervaux (Croft) whilst carrying a fire bottle. To make matters worse I managed to do it in front of my wife who was spectating on her one and only visit to a race track!

2. Getting stuck in Alan Van Der Merwes F3 car at Knockhill during a snatch and having to be lifted out by two fellow marshals.

3. Picture the scene at Oulton Park. We are using the spare doctors car as a fire tender due to the clutch cable snapping on fire 2 (whilst responding to a fire!). Sat at Fosters, Me "whats the red button on the dash for?", Glyn "dont push it!", Me "Yeh, but whats it for?", Glyn "DONT PUSH IT!". In a moment straight from the Simpsons I push it!!!! Cue, various sirens and two tones and Glyn standing in front of the car with his hands over hs ears shouting "TURN IT OFF, TURN IT OFF!!!!" Eventually I managed to turn it off to a shout from a young kid in the crowd "Nice sirens mate!" and a message from race control asking if it was quiet at Fosters!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 31 Jul 2006, 19:23 (Ref:1669210)   #11
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Falling flat on my face in ettores kitty litter at a British Championship event at Prescott
Old 31 Jul 2006, 19:34 (Ref:1669222)   #12
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sounds like an answer in Cluedo. "it was EvilPumpkin, in the Observers Box, with the extremely sharp object"

The thing is that I always get the blame for that one. You and the crew from Post 9 (it was 9 wasn't it?) are the only people that can vouch for my innocence!
I can vouch for your innocence as I was standing next to you on post 8, laughing at the "Oh s**t!" and "We're in so much trouble!" that were repeatedly coming from your direction

Grant and the inflatable pumpkin were on post 7 before it made its escape attempt across the grass at Graham Hill Bend. The drivers didn't know what to make of what looked like a rotund marshal rolling across the grass in front of them

Post 8 was on the old side then (platform at the bottom of South Bank), so it was down to Tim as lone flagger on the other side to make a valiant diving pincer movement to halt the errant pumpkin in its tracks.

Don't think I'll ever forget that FF Festival because of that - still has me laughing now recalling it.

Phill
Old 31 Jul 2006, 20:25 (Ref:1669279)   #13
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tripping over a rock and slitting my hands open as I went for the gap to grab a wheel from the grass. The driver thought this was funny as I was more injured than him.

I was mortified when the paramedics came round to sew me up.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 21:26 (Ref:1669356)   #14
BSA Susie
Racer

United Kingdom
Southampton
BSA Susie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After 14 years of happy marshalling/flagging I would of had great difficulty thinking of an embarrassing moment, however, that was until Goodwood FoS 3 weekends ago.
After undramatically breaking my ankle climbing out of the back of a pick up truck, no fall or trip involved, I was eventually convinced by young Mark Chigley to call a medic. Terry Williamson and his crew dutifully arrived and as one of the doctors advised I should sit down, Terry picked me up and carried me to a straw bale! Knight in shinning armour style not fireman's lift!
This was amongst a large gathering of my fellow proban-clad chums who did not realise anything was going on as, as I said, I had not had a dramatic fall!
The ambulance then arrived and I was transfered to a stretcher, still amongst my collegues and now also some confused looking black tie attired dinner guests!

Cheers Terry, I hope your back survived!

PS 1 week to go until I am out of plaster, just in time for GP Masters (fingers crossed)
Old 1 Aug 2006, 07:42 (Ref:1669643)   #15
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by PipSqueak111
Don't think I'll ever forget that FF Festival because of that - still has me laughing now recalling it.

Phill
As I recall, wasn't that also the day that our glorious leader set fire to the post with a smouldering fag end?
Old 1 Aug 2006, 10:04 (Ref:1669750)   #16
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now let me think, was it reversing into a tree at prescott or rolling my car on the way home from Shelsley? Hmmmmmm

I'll mention it before someone else like Woolley (known for his lack of handbrake control) or Gizmo or Pikelet (known for praying the Ettores gravel holding a fire bottle at Prescott) does.
Old 1 Aug 2006, 12:05 (Ref:1669878)   #17
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As I recall, wasn't that also the day that our glorious leader set fire to the post with a smouldering fag end?
It was indeed
Fortunately that bottle of water put it out - now that would have been the most embarassing moment, having to call for a replacement fire bottle after using one to put the observer's post out!
Old 2 Aug 2006, 09:16 (Ref:1670724)   #18
Broom pusher
Rookie

Wales
Bridgend
Broom pusher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike Kelly , your a novice at this falling game then. I managed it twice in the same bit of kitty litter at Croft at a single incident ( before you ask the grandstand was full).Got a great round of applause though.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 09:30 (Ref:1670736)   #19
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
About 30 years ago I ran to a slowing Imp on the old club straight at Silverstone. It was only when I got round to the back of it that I realised the engine was on fire - and I had left the fire extinguisher behind! Fortunately the fire tender was already on it's way, but unfortunately for me it contained the late, great Phil Morom, who gave me a severe rollocking (with a smile on his face). I never forgot again.

As a driver, I stopped half way round Mallory on the first lap of practice - because I had forgotten to put any petrol in the car!
Old 2 Aug 2006, 16:06 (Ref:1671109)   #20
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the only thing i can think of is when i was on delta 8 at mondello with EP.i tried to sit down on the old plastic chair which promptly fell backwards.my head landed between two nettle plants and i was still in the chair only it was at 90 degrees to its recomended position.this made it impossible to move in any direction so i had to beg for help from EP.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 16:59 (Ref:1671171)   #21
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom pusher
Mike Kelly , your a novice at this falling game then. I managed it twice in the same bit of kitty litter at Croft at a single incident ( before you ask the grandstand was full).Got a great round of applause though.
Yes, the grandstand was quite full when I fell as well. I only found out about the applause from my wife later.

As for falling over, does falling over when walking back to your car after sign on count? I did this at the Aintree motorsport festival in 2004 and managed to break my right leg in 3 places!!!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 2 Aug 2006, 17:01 (Ref:1671179)   #22
Snotty
Rookie

United Kingdom
Billericay Essex
Snotty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some years ago I returned to my car at lunchtime to find that it was well and truly stuck in the mud at the back of Vale Out (Silverstone). Fellow Marshalls had to push me out. It was the only thing they had to do all day. It was so long ago Gary Dearn was my Incident officer!
Old 2 Aug 2006, 17:55 (Ref:1671241)   #23
HornyDax
Rookie

Wales
Swansea
HornyDax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worst moment for me... about 1996 thruxton post 4 in front of a shedfull of spectators , a friend (not afterwards) grabbed me, ran down the grass with me , threw me on the ground and proceeded to dry hump me .. all while the classic touring car race was happening on track. i still can't live that day down !!!! second worst moment, yes. falling at post 4 at pembrey with a fire bottle in front of a crowd running to a caterham that was well ablaze. pity things like that don't happen anymore now I'm a startline marshal rather than an Incident idiot!!
Old 3 Aug 2006, 10:33 (Ref:1671968)   #24
Broom pusher
Rookie

Wales
Bridgend
Broom pusher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two more moments I will not be allowed to forget.
Goodwood 2006, Porsche 962 stops at post push it behind bails. Derek bell emerges saying he will send mechanic to retreve car.Gent arrives and gets into car. Question "are you the mechanic". Reply " No I own it"
Oulton Park some years ago . Yellow flagging at Lakeside,Blue flag shouts move. I stepped left only to slide down bank into lake. Observers comment "See someone has tested escape route then"
Old 3 Aug 2006, 16:42 (Ref:1672292)   #25
BSA Susie
Racer

United Kingdom
Southampton
BSA Susie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom pusher
Two more moments I will not be allowed to forget.
Goodwood 2006, Porsche 962 stops at post push it behind bails. Derek bell emerges saying he will send mechanic to retreve car.Gent arrives and gets into car. Question "are you the mechanic". Reply " No I own it"
Oulton Park some years ago . Yellow flagging at Lakeside,Blue flag shouts move. I stepped left only to slide down bank into lake. Observers comment "See someone has tested escape route then"
Good ones!

The first meeting I used my new scanner that I got for my birthday, I was on post 20 Club Chicane, Thruxton. At one stage I had to put the red flag out and afterwards I wondered why I could'nt hear anything in my earpiece. I looked down and my scanner was gone from my top pocket. I looked around and then realised I must have caught the wire with the flag and pulled it out of my pocket and it had gone into the tyre barrier! For the time taken to clear up the red flag incident, most of the marshals on the post, including the observer - my dad, spent their time looking into the tyres for it. As the session restart came closer, we started to give and just then, the battery low sound was heard. It went again and my dad reached down into the tyres and pulled it out by the ariel.
No, he has not let me forget it, every meeting!