Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Apr 2004, 22:17 (Ref:926855)   #1
sawbench
Rookie

sawbench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sand in Engines this weekend

Reading the newsapapers this AM, anyone would have thought that there was something difficult about running an engine in a dusty (potentially dusty) environment.

Teams 'worried' about the tiny dust particles getting into the engine and screwing it all up....

Why don't they go and do a Welsh Rally in summer or the Dakar, or the old Safari? Filters got cleaned out at the end of the day, but that was after 600 kms on the dakar and a full day elsewhere. Not rocket science gentlemen. Stop being hollywood...

Besides which there was more sand at Zandvoort.... And you think I'm joking..
Old 1 Apr 2004, 22:35 (Ref:926864)   #2
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Like all thiings in F1 it is about trading-off between reliability and performance. All filters will lose a little power, so its a question of balancing loss of performance against a better guarantee of reliability. I'd imagine they are pretty worried about sand in virtually all of the equipment actually - it might be custom designed to be rugged and portable, but an F1 team has got a serious amount of computer equipment and delicate instruments to keep working as well as two highly strung cars.
Old 1 Apr 2004, 22:44 (Ref:926871)   #3
sawbench
Rookie

sawbench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Missed the point.

All over done with nobs on this 'sand in the works' thing.
All engines have a filter if at the A1 ring or Bahrain, MEXICO (remember the dust???) or Zandvoort.

Same air filter I'll betcha this weekend as compared to the A1 ring.

They won't be 'working things out' they'll just get on with it. These are F1 teams with $300m budgets Gents....

Have you ever watched the Dakar on the 'box? Now that is proper sand, and the cars don't break down there after 2 hours running.

Has anyone been to a sandy place? And Bahrain ain't sandy, it's rocky. Papers ain't got nowt else to talk about. Od really because they were all jumping around after Speang and Button. That soon went west when their editors told them to stop over-doing it on an over rated driver. (see Button post)
Old 1 Apr 2004, 22:53 (Ref:926875)   #4
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dakar cars don't break in the desert, because Dakar cars are designed to run in the desert! Those cars have a vastly bigger margin for cooling - it wouldn't take all that much sand in the radiators to force a car to run a few less revs to avoid overheating, for example. I agree that it's not the be all and end all, but its got to be a factor.

BTW - the amount of humble pie I'll be serving up when Button continues to deliver is going up all the time.
Old 1 Apr 2004, 23:10 (Ref:926883)   #5
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really think this has been blown out of porportion. Even if it isn't, as long as someone finishes it'll be an interesting race. Heck if no one finishes it might be even more interesting.
Old 1 Apr 2004, 23:50 (Ref:926892)   #6
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Lets remember these guys are running at 19k rpm; the sand (which is not dust I might add) could be a problem.