Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 4 Mar 2008, 06:35 (Ref:2143844)   #1
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turbos or NAs?

Now that open-wheel racing has merged, I was wondering if you all prefer turbocharged engines versus naturally-aspirated engines.

Although turbos produce more power than NAs, they are more expensive.

Personally, it doesn't matter much to me, but for astetics I like the turbo-powered cars because I never liked seeing that air intake above the drivers' heads.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 06:52 (Ref:2143850)   #2
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why settle for just one? Certainly there are advantages that come with both.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 07:17 (Ref:2143860)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The money issue is of paramounbt importance as far as now, then my choice for the NAs.

And I like the air intakes alot
Old 4 Mar 2008, 07:20 (Ref:2143863)   #4
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What were the costs like between the Turbo Cosworth and the NA Honda?
Old 4 Mar 2008, 10:54 (Ref:2144025)   #5
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Why not both indeed!?

Offie vs Honda!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2144084)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If there is to be only one, turbo.

But a mix would be nice!
Old 4 Mar 2008, 12:32 (Ref:2144104)   #7
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Why not both indeed!?

Offie vs Honda!
Tend to disagree.

Infact teams would easily find out some tracks favourising one solution, others the other; then they would end up having both, with extra costs for everyone and no advantage for anybody ultimately
Old 4 Mar 2008, 15:02 (Ref:2144188)   #8
wills
Racer

wills should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turbos for me, more torque and more wheelspin. But realistically for now NA is the way to go for safety and costs.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 15:12 (Ref:2144196)   #9
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if only one, turbo....reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills
....more torque and more wheelspin.
and no traction control, ever.

i would like to know what the cost difference is between T and NA, if anyone in the know...knows. as for both in the series, seems that it could be a regulatory nightmare. i read recently about Porsche's attempt to get back into NA OW racing in the mid to late 70s, and there was arguements on the Porsche's boost vs. the Cosworth's, i think? the German's were held in check and thus canceled it's program. anyways, seems that it would be a quagmire for the officials.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 15:40 (Ref:2144213)   #10
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
as it stands for the present time, NA V8's are the better choice. The best way is to involve companies like Judd, AER, and Zytec as they have 3.4L engines, readily available, that can be re-mapped for use in IndyCar, with only the question of pricing between them and the teams as the negotiating point.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 16:49 (Ref:2144266)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In an ideal world, turbos - faster, more exciting to watch, more challenging for the drivers. In the short term, NAs - cheaper, and easier to interest engine manufacturers, and more appealing for car manufactures to market with.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 17:13 (Ref:2144285)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Concur with Boots above.

I'd love to see the turbo's back sooner rather than later though.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 18:06 (Ref:2144325)   #13
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
turbo
these have always been good, and manufacturer relevant as the change to smaller turbo engines is gripping the industry
Old 4 Mar 2008, 18:59 (Ref:2144366)   #14
kartracer41
Racer

United States
Michigan, USA
kartracer41 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I vote turbo......diesels. Yeah, I am dreaming.

I would vote turbos though.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 19:31 (Ref:2144388)   #15
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeten
as it stands for the present time, NA V8's are the better choice. The best way is to involve companies like Judd, AER, and Zytec as they have 3.4L engines, readily available, that can be re-mapped for use in IndyCar, with only the question of pricing between them and the teams as the negotiating point.
That doesn't solve either of IndyCar's engine woes at the moment: a stale formula and lack of manufacturer involvement. Purpose-built V8s have been used to death, and they share so little in common with technology currently on the road that no automaker wants to put their money into such a project (unless, of course, it's for Formula 1). Fans and sponsors want to see big names like Ford, Chevy, and Mercedes-Benz on the engine cover. Judd and Zytek do nothing to attract new blood and new money.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 21:32 (Ref:2144462)   #16
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Small turbos all the way - like gttouring said its the way the car industry is heading.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 4 Mar 2008, 21:54 (Ref:2144487)   #17
wills
Racer

wills should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or how about using the LS1 Chev engine? That'll get the American fans interested for sure. Push rod V8's in a single seater could be a possiblity.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 22:07 (Ref:2144497)   #18
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Sorry Wills, Indycars are supposed to wail, not rumble like NASCAR or scream like F1.

Moderate displacement turbos I think are the way to go. Porsche has plenty of experience with lumps like that, as does Cosworth obviously, and I bet you could create a mean derivative of the Volvo T5 engine (2.5-litre turbo inline-5). In road-going trim, the T5 is good for at least 375hp, and Volvo is owned by Ford, so there could be possibilities down the road there.

Last edited by Purist; 4 Mar 2008 at 22:11.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 22:10 (Ref:2144499)   #19
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Turbos no question.

They sound the best. The current irl cars sound like someone strangling a cow.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 01:31 (Ref:2144599)   #20
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with MS, Turbo's are the way to go, but I wouldn't mind seeing something unique that hasn't been done before. Some the ideas about Diesel Turbo's and stuff sounds awesome but is completely fictional at the moment with the state of the series and no one being interested in it except Honda.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 02:10 (Ref:2144627)   #21
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Turbo, turbo, turbo.

Preferably with bhp and performance that verges on, or actively embraces, the excessively absurd.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 03:08 (Ref:2144637)   #22
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about a turbocharged hybrid?

It's the Californian hippie in me
Old 5 Mar 2008, 05:58 (Ref:2144670)   #23
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The main benefit i see in going with turbos would be keeping the Push To Pass, although on the ovals that would take alot of the skill out of it. Preferably, if they want more than one engine manufacturer they should sit down with anyone interested and see what they want. If they only want either Honda or Cosworth, than stick with whatever they were previously offering.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 06:42 (Ref:2144678)   #24
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For something different how about a turbo 6 ??????

Plenty of manufacturers have 6 cylinders over 8's so why not.
Old 5 Mar 2008, 06:52 (Ref:2144681)   #25
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Well, I think you could get Porsche's interest with that one, Madman. Also, are the Japanese putting out any blown sixes currently?