Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What score does it get from you?
10 2 5.41%
9 4 10.81%
8 12 32.43%
7 11 29.73%
6 5 13.51%
5 1 2.70%
4 0 0%
3 1 2.70%
2 0 0%
1 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 Oct 2018, 19:33 (Ref:3858954)   #26
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrumpet View Post
Ferrari backed the wrong horse this year, Kimi is still fast, in a car made more for him, with strategy to help his unflappability could well have won the WDC again.
Best joke of the weekend.
Old 24 Oct 2018, 21:44 (Ref:3858985)   #27
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why pray? Vettell has always been prone to brain farts under pressure from Button, Webber, Ricciardo, Verstappen, Hamilton, Bottas etc. He threw away the 2017 WDC and has done the same again this year. He blames everyone else, makes excuses, thumps the steering wheel, kicks the bargeboard and swears.
He's a good driver and has driven some of the greatest F1 cars. IMO Alonso would have done better in the 2017/8 Ferrari, though I'm not disappointed that he threw that chance away. I firmly believe that, in spite of his age, if Ferrari had thrown their best behind Kimi he would have done better than Vettell has.
Your mileage clearly varies, Sprinkles.
Old 24 Oct 2018, 21:46 (Ref:3858986)   #28
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A tiny bit of excitement in 5 laps, does not a great race make, you guys a re starved!!
Old 25 Oct 2018, 07:30 (Ref:3859041)   #29
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
A tiny bit of excitement in 5 laps, does not a great race make, you guys a re starved!!
For me, there was much more than just 5 laps of excitement in this race though.

When looking at what makes a good/great race, the key element is a lack of predictability to the outcome.

I don't need to see positions change regularly, or numerous overtakes to make the racing good. Just that the final outcome of an on-track battle to be unknown beforehand.

A lot of times people complain that F1 is processional, and that this makes things boring. I think it is the predictability of the result that is the problem, as opposed to the procession itself. This is the same reason that team orders are despised so often too - people are not really objecting to the team order as much as the knowledge that the result has been decided in a non-competitive manner.

The elements that made this race so good for me are:

Max Verstappen starting out of position. The amount of places he had to make up are not relevant, and the majority of his overtakes held no excitement. The entertainment came from the anticipation of what his final position would be. Once he made the top 5/6, then his differing strategy from others meant his final position was not clear until late on.

Lewis and Kimi on different strategies. At the time of Lewis's first pit stop, many said it was obvious what would happen. Towards the latter half of the race though, this was not so. His attempts to get back to the front were intriguing to watch, and again, that lack of predictability to his result was a factor.

Vettel dropping down on lap one. Again, as with Verstappen, the amount of places made up and the overtakes were not the exciting factor. The intrigue was whether he could get back on terms with the front runners, and his challenge to get near either Mercedes.

The WDC context. After 12 laps, it seemed clear cut what was going to happen. As the race progressed though, the fate of the WDC began to hang in the balance. This added another factor to make the race interesting.
Old 25 Oct 2018, 10:15 (Ref:3859070)   #30
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry fella, but I been watching for 30 years and that was nothing special.

Maybe I am not the right demographic, but that was a 6, nothing more, 50 laps of tyre saving and wazzing around, then 10 laps of action, cmon, that is not amazing.
Old 25 Oct 2018, 16:48 (Ref:3859137)   #31
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrumpet View Post
I firmly believe that, in spite of his age, if Ferrari had thrown their best behind Kimi he would have done better than Vettell has.
You must be joking. The guy who up until this weekend could never gain a single place on the first lap and doesn't even turn up three quarters of the races.
Old 25 Oct 2018, 17:39 (Ref:3859143)   #32
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Since Kimi returned to Ferrari he has never beaten his teammate over the course of a season - Alonso or Vettel. 2018 is the closest he's been, but he's never even been without shouting distance. As badly as Vettel has done, he is still comfortably clear of his teammate. Saying Kimi would be Vettel is purely theoretical and there's no evidence that'd happen, and it's literally never happened before.

People (somehow) claim Ferrari have the best car, yet Kimi is struggling to beat Bottas. Now we're to believe that Kimi with the best car, struggling to beat the driver who is very much second fiddle, is going to start hassling Lewis, a good 130 points clear of him? Let's be realistic here, lol.

Vettel not doing very well needs to be in perspective that Kimi has really not done well. Ferrari have made the absolutely right all and Leclerc is going to stomp all over Vettel if he doesn't get his act together. But if it was Leclerc and Kimi then it'd be a massacre.
Old 25 Oct 2018, 17:43 (Ref:3859144)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
You must be joking. The guy who up until this weekend could never gain a single place on the first lap and doesn't even turn up three quarters of the races.
Kimi has been Vettel's wingman and now that Vettel's title hopes have been virtually shot, Ferrari have decided to let Kimi actually race, as consolation.
Old 25 Oct 2018, 17:50 (Ref:3859145)   #34
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Kimi has won one race in the 5 years since his return to Ferrari. There's only so much "the man is keeping me down" can stretch to. Bottas won more than that in one year at Mercedes, and he was way more second fiddle than Kimi has ever been.

I love Kimi because he's a bit mad and crazy, but has anyone actually looked at his results since 2014?
Old 25 Oct 2018, 18:39 (Ref:3859149)   #35
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
in fairness, at the start of the season it seemed like Ferrari were letting their two drivers fight equally and SV got out to the much stronger start and lead...in the few races where Kimi did beat SV, Ferrari took a lot of flack for not favoring the driver who had the more points at the time.

anyways, Ferrari made the right call and seemingly it is one that Kimi is more than ok with. he looks (and sounds) like a driver that wants to move on and also one who is probably self aware enough to know that he doesnt want to be the 'lead' driver in a team that is looking more and more like the dysfunctional Ferrari of old.

as for SV being overrated...he is certainly now struggling with self inflicted errors and this season is probably his most disappointing since his last with RB...

to that i would say his current struggles seem worse/magnified by the fact that he was seriously over performing at the beginning of the season imo.

for as many points as he lost through errors surely he has still scored more points than anyone thought he (and the car) would be capable of doing to going into this season. really all the way up to Germany...such is the reality of Merc's dominance and LH's current run of form.
Old 25 Oct 2018, 21:06 (Ref:3859179)   #36
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
I feel honoured that my opinion has been rubbished twice by a fearsome keyboard warrior such as you, Eff. You don't mind me being familiar Eff, do you?