Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 14 Feb 2005, 18:05 (Ref:1225470)   #26
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
We have been through this topic so many times, and it just remains to accept a fundamental difference in, hm, ideology between European and American racefans: Europeans will go for "hi-tech & expensive", whereas Americans will go for "big & cheap".
Is it not more likely, that the European Continental aversion, with a few exceptions, to any thing that would justify the words, large or big, has forced them to use expensive attachements,of needessly complex construction, and whose origins are as old as any "big & cheap" concept on the North American Continent, to attain similar performance.

Bob
Old 14 Feb 2005, 19:00 (Ref:1225530)   #27
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think you need to keep the europeans out...i have nothing against a big merc V12 or ferrari V12. Technology or not, i thought we were talking big displacement N/A engines...who cares who makes em? If i want an aluminum hemi with a 1250 dominator on it and run against the same chassis with an enzo motor...who cares as long as the performance is in the same hemisphere!!
Old 14 Feb 2005, 19:53 (Ref:1225585)   #28
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy
I dont think you need to keep the europeans out...i have nothing against a big merc V12 or ferrari V12. Technology or not, i thought we were talking big displacement N/A engines...who cares who makes em? If i want an aluminum hemi with a 1250 dominator on it and run against the same chassis with an enzo motor...who cares as long as the performance is in the same hemisphere!!
Bill:
Cy and I have "discussed" this item, frequently, on numerous forums.
I was not advocating banning the large Euro engines, I would be very, very happy to see just how big one those V-12s cam be taken out to; after all the Jag. V-12 has been raced at 488 in. cu. in a Jaguar in the UK.

Cy has a BBphobia, it stresses him greatly to see youts embrace the good old 'Murican standard of "bigger is better but enormous is outstanding."

Bob
Old 14 Feb 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1225646)   #29
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember the water boiler, Bob - remember the water boiler.
Old 12 Mar 2005, 18:09 (Ref:1250363)   #30
d-b
Racer

United Kingdom
at home
d-b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi there

why not go for manufacturer crated sealed engines that way the costs will be lower and maybe the engines will go back on the street like the muscle cars used to be

by the way big block engine to me is 25 litre merlin aero engine (stick that in a car again,it has been done before at Brooklands,and i'd be happy)

d-b
Old 12 Mar 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1250482)   #31
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Doesn't Jay Leno have something like that on the street-a Merlin or Alyson engine? I remember he bought this car with some massive engine, but I am now blank on where the engine came from.

I know, I know, I am blank on most things.....

robert

Last edited by skycafe; 12 Mar 2005 at 21:26.
Old 13 Mar 2005, 23:02 (Ref:1251160)   #32
d-b
Racer

United Kingdom
at home
d-b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

hi there

that must be the Jay Leno car in gran turismo 4

looks nice but god knows what the fuel bill is

there is an aero engine car racing in V.S.C.C.

Napier-Bentley single seater with a Napier aero engine
it has the aero exhausts and pops & bangs like a cannon on the over run
i remember reading that Silverstone wasn't fast enough for it & that he trashed a brand new set of tyres in 10 laps (fun)

d-b
Old 14 Mar 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1251950)   #33
dwsideri
Rookie

dwsideri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe
Doesn't Jay Leno have something like that on the street-a Merlin or Alyson engine? I remember he bought this car with some massive engine, but I am now blank on where the engine came from.

I know, I know, I am blank on most things.....

robert

Yes, sir... Jay has a 1934 Rolls-Royce Phantom II with a Merlin engine stuffed in the front. 1000 supercharged bhP of glorious V12 power... In the words of Jay, "I mean it's so stupid!"
Old 15 Mar 2005, 00:06 (Ref:1252096)   #34
Bob Riebe
Veteran

He also has an Indy (Brooklands) style roadser with a V-12 Tank engine, I cannot remember what make of engine (Continental comes to mind).
Old 16 Mar 2005, 01:57 (Ref:1253046)   #35
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Thus proving that Jay Leno must be considered a danger to society, he is lusting for and pursuing power. Also, is he singlehandily trying to use all the oil reserves??

Maybe Jay will emulate Letterman and get into a racing team. He should field two of the new Riley's as a start!

robert
Old 16 Mar 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1253210)   #36
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe
Thus proving that Jay Leno must be considered a danger to society, he is lusting for and pursuing power.
His comedy is proof of that already. Plus, he has a chin like Schumacher. BAD BAD business.
Old 4 Jan 2011, 07:55 (Ref:2810844)   #37
Craig Sibley
Rookie

Craig Sibley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Comedy or not...

I have, 1 pair (2) Rolls Royce Merlin V-12 Engines.

Removed from Australian Land Speed Record car. Includes Allison Transmissions. Turbo charged and modified to run alcohol. Virtually brand new and not run except a few test runs. Extremely high horse power, similar engine used in P-51 fighter/Pylon Racing planes, Racing Boats and Semi/Truck racing. There are a few adventurous enough to put these 3000+ HP engines in cars!!;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIj2GVfua84

These are screamers!

There has been literally millions invested in these two engines. Offers? Will sell pair for under $100,000

Pics and more info available

The engines currently reside in California, US

Last edited by MagnetON; 4 Jan 2011 at 07:59. Reason: Contact details removed.
Old 4 Jan 2011, 19:06 (Ref:2811134)   #38
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny thing is we always come back to this idea. I love it. How did the mopar lmp Oreca. Ran? Did it not have a sprint car based 6liter? It looked cool and sounded. Right like the Panoz gtr, lmp01s. ALMS should try this and scrap the lmp challenge group. Of course they would steal the show
Old 4 Jan 2011, 20:10 (Ref:2811166)   #39
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Years ago, I did a thread titled "LMP on a Showstring" that would have been powered by a sprinter-based 6.0L engine, just like the Mopar LMP that, by the way, finished fourth at Le Mans, IIRC.

I like it, too, just to keep things interesting and diversified.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 5 Jan 2011, 06:41 (Ref:2811339)   #40
gttouring
Veteran

I remember that and a blown motor seemed to be the best solution then depending on the track ; turbos at Lemans and road Atlanta and supercharger at longbeach in the Cadillac chassis . now if this must be N/A I do think a 6 litre is the minimum size and let them rip to 9 litres it works in Formula Truck Brasil but they start at 9 liter and go to 16 I think with weights and what not coming into play and obviously fuel use
Old 5 Jan 2011, 10:39 (Ref:2811410)   #41
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
When are you Merkins going to realise that size isn't everything?
Just ask your wife!

A small screamer can work just as well...
Old 5 Jan 2011, 17:29 (Ref:2811550)   #42
gttouring
Veteran

The end result may be fast laps but the big engines have more to play with in corners and sound so great...a turbo 4 is cool but a 502 cu. In. Is so much cooler in the back of a sports car. Methinks
Old 5 Jan 2011, 17:56 (Ref:2811564)   #43
kyoung
Racer

United States
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
When are you Merkins going to realise that size isn't everything?
Just ask your wife!

A small screamer can work just as well...
Probably when you Yobs realize it is.

Speaking of small screamers, just ask your…just kidding

Engines flow air, more valves, higher revs or less valves and larger displacement. The average Yob almost always confuses displacement with the physical size of a large displacement engine when in fact they are less complex and subsequently more compact and weigh less than their multitude of valve counterparts. Unless you are trying to set land speed records they also deliver the horsepower and torque where you need it for racing. I suspect without restrictors they would simply dominate. Go take a look at the latest Lightning Lap feature at Car & Driver, better yet check out the sortable times page for results from all the years. Or better yet, just ask the fans of the VLN what happened when Zakspeed brought that Oreca Viper in 1999, 10 and 0, that’s what happened. Guess what, the next year they had some rule changes. Lowest common denominator racing always favors the lowest common denominator and for that reason alone large displacement is a waste of time because they will only choke away the benefit anyway.
Old 5 Jan 2011, 18:08 (Ref:2811567)   #44
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Just remember, "there is no replacement for displacement." Before you euro guys go "WHAT ABOUT THE TURBOCHARGERSLOL," remember what would happen if we stuck those same turbochargers onto that larger displacement engine.
Old 6 Jan 2011, 00:36 (Ref:2811705)   #45
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
Years ago, I did a thread titled "LMP on a Showstring" that would have been powered by a sprinter-based 6.0L engine, just like the Mopar LMP that, by the way, finished fourth at Le Mans, IIRC.

I like it, too, just to keep things interesting and diversified.
Hi Tim, haven't seen you post in a good long while. Ironically, the LMPC class is something like that.

Robert
Old 10 Jan 2011, 05:15 (Ref:2813531)   #46
gttouring
Veteran

What are the LMPC engines anyway? 3.4 liter somethings? I am not sure this is quite the same as a 6.0 or big falconer V12 or bettr a lycoming 532 c.in. Flat 6...heh they sound cool
Old 10 Jan 2011, 05:18 (Ref:2813532)   #47
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
What are the LMPC engines anyway? 3.4 liter somethings? I am not sure this is quite the same as a 6.0 or big falconer V12 or bettr a lycoming 532 c.in. Flat 6...heh they sound cool
6.2 LS3 stock-block V8 choked by air restrictors.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 14:59 (Ref:2813748)   #48
gttouring
Veteran

What a shame they are choked like that, what are the chances they would be any embarrassment to 'pro' categories? Ah welll. Keeping the chassis spec I bet they'd be great with much more open drivetrain rules, to test the waters anyway.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 01:13 (Ref:2813978)   #49
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
I think Gunnar was able to get a full season out of one engine, with only care, no rebuilds, so that would imply a lot of economy.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 15:36 (Ref:2814259)   #50
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I'm sure that was the plan, with a current chassis from Oreca, and a production based LS6 Chevvy. Relatively low cost, to run, potentially, at the 24 hours.