Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jun 2022, 17:30 (Ref:4117505)   #776
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Depends on which site you get, On TR the pitches are marked out at the start but early arrivals then get to choose where they pitch and mark out what they want. also between each block of pitches there are lanes just wide enough to park cars. There are no reserved pitches so arrive late and you get what is left unless someone has reserved you an area within thier plots. Security constantly wander around and try to stop people taking to much space but over all it seems to work and usually the same groups are in the same spots each year.
Old 19 Aug 2022, 11:46 (Ref:4123170)   #777
Mike Nunn
Rookie

Mike Nunn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All, It's been about 20 years since I last went to Le Mans but we are planning the trip for next year. I've not camped before as we used to book a hotel covering the weekend and stay at the circuit for the race but it looks like we will need to camp next year. I've been on Beer Mountain but it's a few years since it has been updated. Any recommendations for which campsite to go for? Also is there anywhere to buy groceries? I'm thinking BBQ type things! TIA
Old 19 Aug 2022, 12:06 (Ref:4123174)   #778
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Others will have a better idea than me. I've done Porsche Curves with Travel Destinations which was great but no electrical hook up. I went to a local supermarket for food stuff.

Houx is advertised as having Electric Hook up. And you can get to the tram and thus into Le Mans Nord, where there is a big Carrefoure, for a couple of Euros. As I said best wait for the others to jump in, but come October it'll be a race to get the best pitches.

Just to add, this was posted by Ayse in the other thread.

Quote:
Just for the sake of balance (admitting that I do have a connection - admittedly fairly small) I'll mention 1st Tickets. Brian and Lauren will no doubt have various packages available which you may like to check out when they are available. They not only sell tickets but also run private campsites at the circuit. I've known Brian for many years now and have always found him and his company very good to deal with.

https://1st-tickets.co.uk/event/le-mans-24-hours-2023

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 19 Aug 2022 at 12:13.
Old 19 Aug 2022, 12:13 (Ref:4123180)   #779
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just as a matter of interest Mike, why does it look as though you'll need to camp next year?
Old 19 Aug 2022, 16:49 (Ref:4123210)   #780
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well the biggest problem is getting a campsite, the more desireable ones are sold out very quickly and although they do appear closer to the date for sale can be quite expensive. The campsites have improved massively since the old days and some are now very civilised. I think that only tertre rouge and Houx are now within the general enclousure now so the other sites can be a fair walk to actually get into that area to watch the cars, although some do have views of the circuit. If you have a car it is not a problem getting supplies even camping equipement and you can walk/get the tram very easily. Toilets and showers are mostly clean and depending on time of visit little or no waiting. Yes Beermountain is well out of date these days, i think some of my write ups are still there from decades ago.
Old 19 Aug 2022, 20:33 (Ref:4123219)   #781
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Garage Vert camping is also within the circuit and right next to the team terminus. I would avoid Bleu Nord like the plague, open access to anyone and after the race it was like a battle zone with travellers seeing what they could pick up from what people left behind and complete dixxheads building bonfires fron discarded tents, fridges and anything else which would create noxious smoke.

Sean
Old 20 Aug 2022, 07:29 (Ref:4123243)   #782
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I confess that if I was looking for camping, having no recent experience, I'd be looking for an organised site, such as offered by 1st Tickets, Travel Destinations and the like. I'd pay the premium for it, after all, it's only once a year.
Old 20 Aug 2022, 07:47 (Ref:4123248)   #783
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I confess that if I was looking for camping, having no recent experience, I'd be looking for an organised site, such as offered by 1st Tickets, Travel Destinations and the like. I'd pay the premium for it, after all, it's only once a year.
This is my approach. On that point I've signed up for notifications from 1st Tickets.
Old 22 Aug 2022, 10:16 (Ref:4123416)   #784
Mike Nunn
Rookie

Mike Nunn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just as a matter of interest Mike, why does it look as though you'll need to camp next year?
We started looking at hotels but anything decent either didn't come up with availability or they were well aware of the significance of the weekend judging by the prices we were finding, so we decided camping was probably the best option!

Will take a look at 1st Tickets but my Dad being a Le Mans veteran from 1978 to the mid nineties has already got his ACO membership and booked a ferry so he's keen to put it together himself!
Old 22 Aug 2022, 10:24 (Ref:4123417)   #785
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I've got my membership and ferries too. But I suspect the camp sites will be booked through agencies.
Old 22 Aug 2022, 11:23 (Ref:4123423)   #786
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Nunn View Post
We started looking at hotels but anything decent either didn't come up with availability or they were well aware of the significance of the weekend judging by the prices we were finding, so we decided camping was probably the best option!

Will take a look at 1st Tickets but my Dad being a Le Mans veteran from 1978 to the mid nineties has already got his ACO membership and booked a ferry so he's keen to put it together himself!
Yep, understandable. I would say that anyone who hasn't already booked their ferry crossing ought to do so post-haste, particularly the sought-after return crossings. Having stayed in the same place now since 2010 and being on very good terms with the managers, we have our hotel sorted already.
Old 13 Sep 2022, 08:51 (Ref:4125933)   #787
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
The tram is by far the best way
Old 13 Sep 2022, 08:59 (Ref:4125935)   #788
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Providing you are staying somewhere near a tram stop of course, if not, walking or cycling are the best options if a car isn't available.
Old 13 Sep 2022, 09:05 (Ref:4125936)   #789
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
When are tickets expected to go for sale?
In Pre-Covid times (remember those?) it was usually around mid October, so a good guess would be the same sort of time this year.
Old 13 Sep 2022, 13:32 (Ref:4125967)   #790
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
This is my approach. On that point I've signed up for notifications from 1st Tickets.
Think Travel Destinations on Porsche curves sold out in July and Lycian (inside circuit at start of Porsche curves) was oversubscribed for 2023 pre this years race and were selling only to those who pre -registered interest in early August so would need to be quick (and party organised etc) when 1st Tickets comes on line with sales.

Deals with Eurotunnel with those operators can be great compared to prices paid recently by friends going to France on hols.
Old 13 Sep 2022, 13:46 (Ref:4125968)   #791
Samoan Attorney
Racer

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Next year's must-have accessory at La Sarthe....http://https://www.thedrive.com/news/theres-finally-a-factory-built-porsche-911-roof-tent

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 13 Sep 2022 at 14:33. Reason: Corrected url
Old 13 Sep 2022, 14:33 (Ref:4125974)   #792
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
That'll cripple the straight line speed.
Old 13 Sep 2022, 14:36 (Ref:4125975)   #793
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL17 View Post
Think Travel Destinations on Porsche curves sold out in July and Lycian (inside circuit at start of Porsche curves) was oversubscribed for 2023 pre this years race and were selling only to those who pre -registered interest in early August so would need to be quick (and party organised etc) when 1st Tickets comes on line with sales.

Deals with Eurotunnel with those operators can be great compared to prices paid recently by friends going to France on hols.

Well I've got my crossing already and 1st Tickets have accepted my registration, I selected general admission and Houx camping. Hopefully they'll be able to do that. I'll get GS tickets from the ACO.
Old 13 Sep 2022, 15:00 (Ref:4125985)   #794
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonGeoff View Post
Providing you are staying somewhere near a tram stop of course, if not, walking or cycling are the best options if a car isn't available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonGeoff View Post
In Pre-Covid times (remember those?) it was usually around mid October, so a good guess would be the same sort of time this year.
Thanks folks!
Old 6 Feb 2023, 20:23 (Ref:4142916)   #795
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Question re free parking areas. Friends from the US flying in and thinking of hiring a car rather than train. Does anyone have experience of parking at Rotonde - how quickly does it fill up ? Likewise Raineries / Aerogare, ActiSud and Fresne.

Rotonde is barely further to walk than Expo - I assume it fills up rather quickly and is first come first served.
Old 6 Feb 2023, 21:28 (Ref:4142918)   #796
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I confess I have little idea having never parked in any of those areas except very briefly one year at the Actisud when a member of our group was collecting tickets from there.
Old 7 Feb 2023, 11:17 (Ref:4142957)   #797
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have parked on dual carriageway slip road by some of those aero port parks for Classic a few years back. Not that far a walk.

Would just say we had 4 or 5 cars with rouge parking tickets and arrived just before midday - so parking even with a parking ticket it is not straightforward and arriving a bit later or moving around between car parks on the WE may also be an issue.
Old 7 Feb 2023, 21:09 (Ref:4143036)   #798
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL17 View Post
Have parked on dual carriageway slip road by some of those aero port parks for Classic a few years back. Not that far a walk.

Would just say we had 4 or 5 cars with rouge parking tickets and arrived just before midday - so parking even with a parking ticket it is not straightforward and arriving a bit later or moving around between car parks on the WE may also be an issue.
Was that on raceday for rouge? The guys I used to go with always used rouge and tended to arrive about that time. Always pretty rammed by then. I'd be amazed if anyone manages to get parked on the dual carriageway slip road this year, unless you park up at about midnight on Friday.....

I'm concerned about getting out and about during the race. I think we'll probably leave the trip out to Indianapolis until quite a bit later than usual.
Old 8 Feb 2023, 07:30 (Ref:4143067)   #799
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm concerned about getting out and about during the race. I think we'll probably leave the trip out to Indianapolis until quite a bit later than usual.
The old 'usual' for us was always much later, the start time for 'night manoeuvres' originally used to be more like 2am, as soon as the traffic on the road behind the tribunes started moving freely, but the departure time from Bleu was significantly moved forward in more recent years.

The potential for a Le Mans 24 hours (or more) of gridlock definitely exists, and who knows what road closures, rerouting and diversions the organisers might cook (cock?) up in and around the environs of the main enclosure.

But yes, going back to the old 'usual' will likely mean less trackside time wasted sitting in a car travelling between locations.
Old 8 Feb 2023, 19:52 (Ref:4143185)   #800
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Same here, debating on what time to travel to Arnage/Mulsanne, almost every time trying to get back I get lost and loose a lot of quality time at the track.