Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Feb 2023, 09:46 (Ref:4143759)   #101
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Mercedes are saying they are going back to black because it saves weight. Ironic, because that's why Merc were originally the Silver Arrows
Old 15 Feb 2023, 11:45 (Ref:4143777)   #102
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps it would be in everyones interest for the teams to agree a minimum weight of sponsor logos/paint that has to be applied to the car to avoid this?

Much like the planks were introduced to stop running such low ground clearances and movable aerodynamic devices outlawed to prevent ground effect.
Old 15 Feb 2023, 13:03 (Ref:4143785)   #103
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Mercedes are saying they are going back to black because it saves weight. Ironic, because that's why Merc were originally the Silver Arrows
Lol yes.
Old 15 Feb 2023, 13:44 (Ref:4143796)   #104
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Many cars are part and part. Wrapping is lighter but paint is generally better for aero/drag.
Makes sense. Particularly with edges of the wrap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
There's not so much bare carbon as it's draggy, but it tends to be laquered - similar to skis.
When you say "laguered" do you mean some type of clear coat paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/partners/AkzoNobel-Sikkens/how-to-paint-a-formula-1-car-1114476/
Thanks for the link. While I was saying I assumed they are generally wrapped in my post above, I also am not surprised they they are applying base paint coats. And someone like Ferrari with a basic livery, I can see it being painted. But for complex multi-color liveries with multi-color sponsorship logos (such as the Chrome logo on McLaren), I wonder if they paint those or wrap those? Or a mixture of paint and wrap.

Richard
Old 15 Feb 2023, 14:21 (Ref:4143800)   #105
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/partners/AkzoNobel-Sikkens/how-to-paint-a-formula-1-car-1114476/

A very interesting read, thanks for posting.
Old 15 Feb 2023, 14:32 (Ref:4143802)   #106
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Makes sense. Particularly with edges of the wrap.
More for stickers than wrap, but there are people out there cutting vinyl with a chamfered edge to reduce drag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
When you say "laguered" do you mean some type of clear coat paint?
Sorry, I spelled lacquer wrong. For bare carbon, generally a self-priming clear coat. For painted surfaces similar, but 'keys' differently.
Old 15 Feb 2023, 15:13 (Ref:4143806)   #107
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Apparently that is a myth that Alfred Neubauer made up later, a bit like Isaac Newton's apple story. Supposedly the silver was actually paint, go figure.
Old 15 Feb 2023, 16:53 (Ref:4143813)   #108
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
are they still going with that size zero sidepod approach? Toto saying there will be a revamp to it but is not really clear if he means a change to what the others do or doubling down on their own concept?

AM dont seem to be following along with their 'early' design.
Old 15 Feb 2023, 18:05 (Ref:4143821)   #109
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

The Mercedes-Benz website has an article on the history of the Silver Arrows and under the sub-heading, Its colour made it famous, it says: ''In the W 25, the Mercedes-Benz engineers, making the most they could of the regulations, developed a car that attained maximum speeds despite minimum weight – ending up by removing the previously customary white paint.

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/inn...silver-arrows/
Old 15 Feb 2023, 18:54 (Ref:4143829)   #110
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
are they still going with that size zero sidepod approach? Toto saying there will be a revamp to it but is not really clear if he means a change to what the others do or doubling down on their own concept?

AM dont seem to be following along with their 'early' design.
I believe the Mercedes "2023 launch" car shows a similar concept (maybe a bit bigger) to their last year "zero sidepod" design. But there is also reports that they plan to change this soon. Speculation is that it might be more inline with what everyone else is doing. But who knows.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/me...-car/10432497/

Richard
Old 15 Feb 2023, 20:20 (Ref:4143836)   #111
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i really do hope they double down with their concept...i imagine there are quite a few small differences between the teams, but these days large differences in design philosophies feel more rare. that RB and Merc operate very much as opposites in all things adds to the intensity (and my enjoyment) of this battle!

while i dont have access to that article, the motorsport.com version (which i assume is the same) suggests that this is the first iteration and then it will change...i assume based on performance so i guess maybe he doesnt even know which way it will go?

did find it interesting though that he claims this launch version of the car is pretty similar to what will be at the first race:

While teams have traditionally brought aggressive upgrades to the tests and the first race, Wolff said for this year the team’s launch specification was very close to how it will be for the season opener in Bahrain.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...-car/10432503/

no doubt there are reasons for this (he cites lessons learned from last years approach), but i also wonder if it has to do with the differences in budget they have to RB and also a hedge against Ferrari.

rather, save your money until who you know you are fighting and make sure you have enough to outspend them as the season goes on?
Old 16 Feb 2023, 10:00 (Ref:4143868)   #112
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Easy way to regulate against the lack of colour is to ban bare carbon. If they have to wrap the whole thing in vinyl, they might as well use their own colour.

I don't understand why the midfield teams are so similar in any instance. You have to be a real fan to know the difference between a Haas, Alpha Tauri and Alfa Romeo going past at speed. What's the point in brands forking out for a spot on a car that might be easily mistaken for something else?
Old 16 Feb 2023, 10:19 (Ref:4143871)   #113
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Easy way to regulate against the lack of colour is to ban bare carbon. If they have to wrap the whole thing in vinyl, they might as well use their own colour.

I don't understand why the midfield teams are so similar in any instance. You have to be a real fan to know the difference between a Haas, Alpha Tauri and Alfa Romeo going past at speed. What's the point in brands forking out for a spot on a car that might be easily mistaken for something else?
I saw a TikTok video from one team (might've been Haas) explaining that there were surprising differences in weight between coloured vinyls. Some colours being heavier than others, and metallics being heavier than standard.

I agree with the branding issue. Red white and black is fast though right? Fast colours. Make them fast. Red white and black. You can't tell WTF it is, but it's fast right?
Old 16 Feb 2023, 10:25 (Ref:4143872)   #114
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I saw a TikTok video from one team (might've been Haas) explaining that there were surprising differences in weight between coloured vinyls. Some colours being heavier than others, and metallics being heavier than standard.

I agree with the branding issue. Red white and black is fast though right? Fast colours. Make them fast. Red white and black. You can't tell WTF it is, but it's fast right?

Interestingly enough, white, red, blue and black are "heavier colours": black is probably the heaviest of all. Yellow is amongst the lightest.
Old 16 Feb 2023, 10:39 (Ref:4143874)   #115
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Is this all because the max' weight limit has dropped by a couple of kilos?

The cars are all far too big anyway, but that is a separate matter.
Old 16 Feb 2023, 11:47 (Ref:4143883)   #116
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting to see that the side pod concept on the Mercedes has been maintained. They've put their money where their mouth was when they said they believed in it, and it wasn't the problem. The car was fast by the end of the year, so I guess it made sense to evolve rather than re-learn, but it shows the Red Bull route may not be the only way to championship success.

On the aesthetic side, agreed about the Duracell battery on the Williams - lovely touch.

Love those sidepods on the Ferrari, although as my wife said, it makes the cockpit look like one of those toy cars for babies.
Old 17 Feb 2023, 07:43 (Ref:4143984)   #117
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
And the final team to unveil their livery is Alpine

Old 17 Feb 2023, 09:29 (Ref:4143990)   #118
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Seems to be a darker shade of blue than last year. Looks nice
Old 17 Feb 2023, 12:53 (Ref:4144008)   #119
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Alpine launched two liveries. As the Sky sports article says: ''The car will have a predominantly blue and pink livery for the majority of the season, but will run its pink model for the first three races in Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Australia - similar to last season.''

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...opes-at-launch
Old 17 Feb 2023, 17:08 (Ref:4144041)   #120
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
nice to see more colour and like that teams can run multiple liveries over the course of the season so very cool that they will take advantage of that.

read that they are under the min weight so will be interesting to see if the use of some ballast will really help them optimize performance.
Old 18 Feb 2023, 16:27 (Ref:4144106)   #121
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada

for me its the Mclaren as best livery, Williams 2nd and Ferrari 3rd.
Old 19 Feb 2023, 10:08 (Ref:4144151)   #122
S griffin
Veteran

Anyone else getting JPS Lotus vibes off the Merc livery? The yellow numbers on a black livery certainly remind me of it.
Old 19 Feb 2023, 13:54 (Ref:4144164)   #123
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Anyone else getting JPS Lotus vibes off the Merc livery? The yellow numbers on a black livery certainly remind me of it.

It's only Hamilton's car with yellow numbers. Russell's car has green numbers.

Old 20 Feb 2023, 08:58 (Ref:4144262)   #124
S griffin
Veteran

Either way, it's a nice livery. I expect Merc to be back up there challenging for the title this year
Old 20 Feb 2023, 16:11 (Ref:4144274)   #125
Richard C
Veteran

Just three more days until testing starts. I found this article that talks about coverage (which mostly just points to whoever has the 2023 broadcast rights by country)...

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...v-live-stream/

It mentioned that it didn't know for sure about F1TV coverage, but based upon their website, it shows all sessions over all three days will be covered. As I cut my cord last year, I lost access to whoever was broadcasting F1 in US (I think ESPN) and switched over to F1TV. I have found it to be pretty decent. I may explore the third party "Multiviewer" app at some point this season. https://multiviewer.app/

Richard