Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 14 Dec 2004, 10:09 (Ref:1179036)   #51
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't worry, John.

I'm as curious as you are - and I work from time to time in one of the aforementioned bookshops!
Old 14 Dec 2004, 10:51 (Ref:1179065)   #52
500mm
Rookie

500mm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
I have just had an e-mail from Amazon to say that it is not yet in stock and it will not be in stock for another 4 to 6 weeks.

It is still worth the wait....repro quality is much better this year....and especially at the Amazon price.

Anyone needing a proper sportscar fix in the meantime should look at Michael Cotton's latest tome "Blue & Orange" which covers the involvement Gulf Oil in motorsport. Great story covering the GT40, 917 and CanAm McLarens as well as the later efforts with the Audi R8 and McLaren F1 GTR.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 11:29 (Ref:1179093)   #53
jna
Racer

jna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what's Amazon talking about? Hasn't been published? Wonder if there is an argument behind the scenes about the price they have to pay if it has been released and sold by other dealers?

By the way John, is the publisher Virgin?

Must get my hands on that Gulf book. Sounds good.

John
Old 14 Dec 2004, 11:49 (Ref:1179108)   #54
500mm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jna
So what's Amazon talking about? Hasn't been published? Wonder if there is an argument behind the scenes about the price they have to pay if it has been released and sold by other dealers?

By the way John, is the publisher Virgin?

Must get my hands on that Gulf book. Sounds good.

John
I must admit that I got my copy direct from Jean Marc Teissedre so have not been subject to the hassles of distribution.

The book is out in both English and French editions........and the publisher continues to be Editions Chronosport SA but I also heard that Virgin were getting involved.........so that might account for the delay in hitting the shops.

I would get hold of the Gulf book if that subject interests you.........it is selling out fast with a limit of 5000 copies.........so treat yourself for Christmas.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 12:20 (Ref:1179125)   #55
jna
Racer

John, A daft thought, but if you have a direct link with JMT or his business, I wonder if that source could resolve the matter of these other English editions I am concerned about? What do you think?

John

Last edited by jna; 14 Dec 2004 at 12:20.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 12:29 (Ref:1179132)   #56
500mm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jna
John, A daft thought, but if you have a direct link with JMT or his business, I wonder if that source could resolve the matter of these other English editions I am concerned about? What do you think?

John

I can try..........he does not always respond to email.........running his model shop and magazine plus his duties for AutoHebdo means that he has little spare time..........unlike those of us who post on forums..............

I have to email him on a another topic so I will include this but do not hope for a quick reply.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 12:41 (Ref:1179141)   #57
jna
Racer

That's very kind of you. Thank you.

John
Old 14 Dec 2004, 19:15 (Ref:1179403)   #58
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have actully cancelled my order with Amazon. I am going to the Autosport Show so I will try and picked it up there instead.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 11:42 (Ref:1179900)   #59
jna
Racer

Does anybody know if other retail establishments are selling the books right now? Its great to only pay £21 through Amazon, but if there is an internal reason for them not being able to sell them for ages, then I for one am prepared to go elsewhere and cancel my order as well.

Amazon do not always undercut. Take for example the "Blue and Orange: The History of Gulf in Motorsport" book. Same price as Chaters, plus a 4-6 week wait and a £1.99 plus VAT fee as an additional handling charge. Ok, post free whilst Chaters charge £4, but we are talking pennies, and I so I have supported Chaters today, AND got a standard edition of the book signed by Derek Bell which I am really pleased about.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 14:45 (Ref:1180113)   #60
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: 2004 Yearbook

The ACO fan shop appears to have the English Yearbook in, although I'm having cookie trouble with that website and cannot be 100% certain. My copy should be coming from the ACO as part of my "Collector" membership and that hasn't materialised yet either so, I reckon it could be in the New Year. Some UK outlets are advertising the annual at £30 post free in ordered before 31st December (maybe Chaters and MillHouse books). Alex Reade (http://www.alexreade.net) have it listed, but the comment "cover may be different from that shown" gives away that it isn't yet in stock I reckon.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited by iucrmh; 15 Dec 2004 at 14:46. Reason: bad spelling!
Old 15 Dec 2004, 17:42 (Ref:1180333)   #61
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by iucrmh
the comment "cover may be different from that shown" gives away that it isn't yet in stock I reckon.
Like 500mm, I too have a copy of the chronosports english edition and that's the correct cover shot..

I would imagine that the problems are of a distribution nature.. I seem to remember that the book was late a few years ago, my copy then arrived on about the 23rd December..

Hope this helps..

David
Old 15 Dec 2004, 18:31 (Ref:1180380)   #62
500mm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L
Like 500mm, I too have a copy of the chronosports english edition and that's the correct cover shot..

I would imagine that the problems are of a distribution nature.. I seem to remember that the book was late a few years ago, my copy then arrived on about the 23rd December..

Hope this helps..

David
He is a bit too modest to boast that it is HIS shot on the front cover.......hardly jealous at all......................2005 he will be toast.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 20:14 (Ref:1180487)   #63
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mm
2005 he will be toast.
Ere.. That tailgate damaged your brain more than I thought..

--

Last edited by David L; 15 Dec 2004 at 20:15.
Old 4 Jan 2005, 17:41 (Ref:1193048)   #64
simon c
Racer

simon c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans 2004 Yearbook

Picked up my copy of Moity / Teissedre's annual review last week. Not had chance for a proper read yet, but worth getting for the double page spread of Martin Short (hands in the air, aghast) in the gravel trap at the Esses, moments after his incident with Bourdais. If ever a picture told a thousand words...
Old 4 Jan 2005, 18:21 (Ref:1193087)   #65
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, probably my most disappointing sports car moment of the year.........
Old 4 Jan 2005, 19:17 (Ref:1193125)   #66
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hopefully I will be able to get my copy at the Autosport show in 10 days time.
Old 5 Jan 2005, 06:38 (Ref:1193398)   #67
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
I'll get mine with the DVD at ACO's desk...
Old 5 Jan 2005, 06:39 (Ref:1193399)   #68
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon c
Picked up my copy of Moity / Teissedre's annual review last week. Not had chance for a proper read yet, but worth getting for the double page spread of Martin Short (hands in the air, aghast) in the gravel trap at the Esses, moments after his incident with Bourdais. If ever a picture told a thousand words...
The Spa' wreckage was gruesome too...
Old 5 Jan 2005, 14:14 (Ref:1193616)   #69
jna
Racer

Le Mans Yearbooks - The English Editions (closed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon c
Picked up my copy of Moity / Teissedre's annual review last week.
Is this the French or English version?

I do apologise if this sounds sarcastic, but you will of course recall a thread last month in which you offered the view that you had English versions of a number of earlier editions that neither myself nor other members had heard of. I went to some lengths to check out what you had said, and posted the results of my investigations. I even sent you a polite personal message and asked you to post a copy of a page from one of your English editions as I am keen to seek out copies for myself. I am sure that other forum members who are collectors will be just as interested.

Please can you help? I will happily provide you with an email address to which you could send a scan.

Thank you

John
Old 6 Jan 2005, 09:06 (Ref:1194323)   #70
jna
Racer

Whilst we await the info. from Simon those of you with the French edition of the 1985 Year Book might like to take some comfort from the conclusion of an eBay auction last night when a copy sold for Euro 313.00 (£213) - more than ten times face value. This one is not generally seen as a particularly rare edition. The two bidders were both from France so one cannot read anything into this sale in relation to the question that I want answered, but turn those pages very carefully in future!

By the way, thank you to the member who recommended the Gulf Racing book, "Blue and Orange", that has recently been published. Indeed this is an excellent book.

John
Old 11 Jan 2005, 08:42 (Ref:1197896)   #71
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Blimey £213? Not bad eh?

If Simon is reading this, I'd really appreciate it if you'd check your PMs. Thanks

Ayse
Old 12 Jan 2005, 01:30 (Ref:1198647)   #72
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Le Mans annual review .....

Its a great book as per norm ..... loads of great pics and interesting reading as usuall ..... but I wanna know how and who made the Courage C65 wheely like that on page 90-91 ?

Ive got all the books for the races ive seen since (Le Mans) 1989 to now basically and they are always a great read and full of info and a pleasure to look at the pics of times past ..... Jesus ..... I sound old !!!

If you delve into the pit strategy and the lap times its also interesting . I remember seeing a full lap and time in pits chart for the Bentley from two years ago and it was amazing the lappery that those boys were doing ..... as in another thread ..... is kristensen better that Ickx ..... to early to say in my opinion but he is sure as hell trying !!!
Old 12 Jan 2005, 08:53 (Ref:1198754)   #73
antr
Rookie

United Kingdom
antr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
year book

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about but I can confirm for Simon C's sake father has an english copy of 82 and 85. I'm not sure where he got them from and I'm sure he does not realise how rare they are.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 10:16 (Ref:1198826)   #74
jna
Racer

Hello antr,

I am grateful for your involvement. I apologise to you, Simon C and all forum members if I am indeed seen as a nisance, but I am an avid book collector where Le Mans is concerned and when Simon posted his comments I was shocked to think that for many years I had been led to believe that English versions were never printed for the years involved. Now I can read French, but with difficulty, particularily when the subject becomes technical, so purely for the benefit of being able to read far more easily the history of these races, I would very much like to own the English versions. I really am not interested in owning them purely for their perceived rarity. The recent sale price of one of these books is indeed quite ridiculous.

All I wanted was for Simon to help me. I was so surprised to think that books that are so rare were on sale very recently at the race. The booksellers that I have contacted on both sides of the Atlantic are defiant. Never, ever, have they seen or heard of them, and having received a blunt reaction from one in the USA to effect 'show me evidence and I will believe you' was why I asked if Simon would oblige with a scan of a page or two from the copies he and his father own. I really don't think that is causing a fuss. There is evidence all over the place on this forum of help, guidance etc. from member to member, and I thought that I was not asking too much. I would readily be proactive if I had information on a topic that would assist someone.

So I ask if I can have some help that will go a very long way in changing the minds of dealers. I may then obtain some cooperation from them in locating copies. At present they are not interested.

Thank you.

John

Last edited by jna; 12 Jan 2005 at 10:19.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 19:03 (Ref:1199198)   #75
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by antr

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about but I can confirm for Simon C's sake father has an english copy of 82 and 85. I'm not sure where he got them from and I'm sure he does not realise how rare they are.
You know.. jnr has my interest peeked with this..

The "fuss", as you call it, is akin to a Rolling Stones record collector suddenly discovering that there was a hindu version of "jumping jack flash" pressed, and none of the dealers ever knew about it..

So I can certainly see where jna is coming from..

I too was always advised that there were no english editions of the yearbooks concerned in jna's comments.. So.. If Simon C is unwilling to do this, can you get some scans from your father's copies posted up please..? (In legal terms, this is called "coming up to proof")

Thanks in advance and in anticipation..

Regards