Old 23 Jul 2002, 16:17 (Ref:340801)   #1
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any advice for a virgin..

a trackday one that is.
i'm intending to do one in august and was wondering what advice your'd give.

do i need to prep the car?

are there any ordinary cars at these trackdays? only ever see photos of elises, scoobys, race cars etc

How quickly do you go through petrol, would half a tank do, for example

do people treat it like a gp qualifying run, or are people keeping it fairly steady, guess it depends on the organisers?

any advice would be grateful.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 16:28 (Ref:340810)   #2
Rutle
Rookie

Rutle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't get thru' petrol as quickly as it gets thru' brake pads and tyres!

And - if you have any doubts at all about your shock absorbers - don't do it!
Old 24 Jul 2002, 11:54 (Ref:341500)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: Any advice for a virgin..

Quote:
Originally posted by spanner
do i need to prep the car?
Yes, but don't worry. Make sure it is in tip top shape. Perhaps, if a road car, get it serviced thoroughly beforehand. If it won't pass an MOT then it isn't ready for the track.

Obviously top up all liquids and check the normal things that you should check for using on the road.

What about tyre pressures? What does your handbook suggest for fast running?

Apart from anything else it will detract from your day if there is a slight problem.
Quote:
are there any ordinary cars at these trackdays? only ever see photos of elises, scoobys, race cars etc
Yes, the last one I went to had an 'A' reg Golf out there. At the same time as Caterhams, Porsches and our XJS racer.

Everyone is (and has to be) very courteous and hopefully your organisers will make sure there aren't too many cars out at once. No one is going to dive past you into a corner because for track days this is not allowed!
Quote:
How quickly do you go through petrol, would half a tank do, for example
Probably! It depend how much running you do. You will use more than on the road, obviously.

I understand that you don't want to start with a full tank, but when you first get out there, does it matter? You will still be driving a car quickly.

How about getting a 5gallon container, just in case?
Quote:
do people treat it like a gp qualifying run, or are people keeping it fairly steady, guess it depends on the organisers?
I don't think anyone goes mad. People are watching. Overtaking limited to the straights, or certain areas where it is really safe to do so. People are courteous and let you
through if you are going quicker. And there is certainly no racing!
Quote:
Originally posted by Rutle
Doesn't get thru' petrol as quickly as it gets thru' brake pads and tyres!
This is certainly true. It depends on your car, the circuit and you! On the day think about your car. Is it's behaviour changing as you do more running. The brakes won't have been used as hard and for as long as they do on the track.

Hope some of that helps.

Oh, and have a great time, I can almost guarantee that you will.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 15:34 (Ref:341681)   #4
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Thanks guys for the comments
Getting it serviced might be a good idea as i'll have to drive it 400 miles to get there!
i have fitted harder pads on the front which has vastly reduced the stopping distance, but then it'l show in the tyre wear.

oh and another thing, how strict are they when it comes to ending up in the gravel(god forbid). Its just that every one says its a safe way to learn the limits, but what if i find it while heading to the gravel!
i guess the 400 mile drive back might focus the mind
Old 24 Jul 2002, 16:33 (Ref:341722)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think the trick is to work up to the limit rather than down to it. It might have been cool for Gilles, but you are likely to annoy a few people if you put it in the gravel (that and I doubt you will have his car control at this stage! )

If you put it in the gravel then the session will most likely be stopped. And this will annoy everyone else. Less track time for their cash.

It might happen, but I doubt you'll go off. At first you will be driving nowhere near the limit. I don't think (sensible or otherwise) road driving can teach you the limit.

The brakes sound good. It'll definitely make it better. If it is a front wheel drive you could always swap the front and rear tyres after!

Where are you going? and what car are you taking?
Old 25 Jul 2002, 12:37 (Ref:342380)   #6
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Well i've finally taken the plunge and booked for knockhills hot hatch day.Though probably differnt to most trackday organisers, hey it was the cheapest! Im going up for the touring cars the weekend before so worked well. Had looked at Brands Hatch but cant quite justify the 150 quid.

My car is a sh!troen saxo VTR, and less of the boy racer comments please

buy the way, I wouldnt have thought the suspension would be over worked, dont intend going over too many kerbs.

I'm sure most people think they could drive like Gilles!
Old 25 Jul 2002, 13:04 (Ref:342411)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Someone has a VTR around where I live. Thumpin' bass all the time. I'm not sure he needs to put much petrol in it as it only seems to go round the block at the most.

Good on you for taking it on the track. Have a great time.

I've never been to Knockhill. I've heard it's an excellent circuit. Tell us what the circuit and car is like...
Old 25 Jul 2002, 14:25 (Ref:342481)   #8
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Only one round near you, they've become too common round here now, nearly sold it but had to pull out.prefer something slightly out of the ordinary.

I went on one of their race car experiences last year so kinda know the circuit. used mgf's and formula firsts(!) i think.I just hope the weather is as good as it was then.

The circuit is really tight and twisty and some height changes making some of the corners AMAZING! cant wait
Old 25 Jul 2002, 17:04 (Ref:342589)   #9
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Knockhill is an excellent circuit. Did a trackday there a while ago in an Impreza. 'fraid you can't bank on the weather tho!

A racing driver friend of mine said the trick is the chicane over the blind crest - "don't brake, take it flat, then sort it out before the right hander..."

So I took his advice....

Lesson 1 - always work the track out for yourself unless (better still) you've got a pro instructor sat next to you.

Lesson 2 - NEVER trust your mates!
Old 25 Jul 2002, 18:48 (Ref:342679)   #10
Rache
Racer

Rache should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Spanner

Regarding prepping your car, there is some good stuff on http://www.1-2-1instruction.com/, there is a checklist for you to be fully prepped, what to expect on a trackday, and all the basics when tackling a circuit for the first time. Top stuff!
Old 27 Jul 2002, 08:07 (Ref:343852)   #11
Jenny
Racer

Jenny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello Spanner. I run charity track days and taken part in many track and test days, here and in France, I race a '69 single seater and here are my tips!
1. Empty the car of all your c**p! It's amazing what flies around the cockpit.
2. Wear comfortable clothing and shoes including gloves. Your hands will be quite sweaty if you're really trying hard!
3. Always have any instructor with you for the first 3 or so laps. You will be concentrating more on your driving and how the car is responding to you and not the circuit and who is coming up behind you in the early stages (and that's for any circuit)
4. Keep an eye on all vital signs with the car after each session, particularly if you have an older, tired car. Oil and water are used up much faster and old tyres start to give when put under the pressure of a track day. Remember, you will be driving the car at faster speeds and more interesting angles for a longer duration than you would on the road.
5. Keep aware of your own vital signs too! RU losing concentration, i.e. nearly lost the car on the last corner, etc. Tiredness is a major issue with track days and every good organiser (or attendee) will reduce the amount of time on the track as the day progresses to take this into account. Don't risk yourself and your car. Come back in, have a break and then try again. Keep your sugar levels up (bananas are the power fruit!) and drink plenty of water too.
6. Keep off the drink the night before. Don't get bladdered as you will feel lousy and it will affect your enjoyment on the day. You could still be over the limit too!
7. Don't race. You are there to learn how to drive your road (not race) car safely and at speed. Buy something else if you want to race and take your ARDS course...!
8. Have fun!
Old 30 Jul 2002, 07:24 (Ref:346010)   #12
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Thanks everyone, really looking forward to it now
Old 2 Aug 2002, 12:07 (Ref:348607)   #13
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You Know the Heading of this thread is misleading ??

I have advice for a virgin- but not on motorsport!!!
Old 2 Aug 2002, 12:22 (Ref:348618)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Don't let that stop you...
Old 3 Aug 2002, 11:23 (Ref:349268)   #15
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Adam I gave it some thought baut it aint worth getting banned for.
Old 4 Aug 2002, 23:02 (Ref:350088)   #16
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
Jack Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just make sure the car is paid for!!!
Old 5 Aug 2002, 18:47 (Ref:350640)   #17
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hmmm..

Well the loan i used will be paid off next year!!
Already looking at buying new tyres.