Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Sep 2006, 11:59 (Ref:1710136)   #1
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Raikkonen or Massa?

I remember way back someone asked this question about KR and Montoya. The consensus was KR by a longshot.

Massa is confident, knows the car, the team...so who's it going to be in 2007?
Old 14 Sep 2006, 12:06 (Ref:1710142)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Kimi by a long way, because he is quicker. Compare the composure in Hungary Q too.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 12:09 (Ref:1710145)   #3
Molotov
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Molotov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa the first 5 races, Raikonnen the rest of the year. Massa is a very good driver but I don't think he is consistent enough to beat Kimi. It also depends if Ferrari will change their politics about 1st and 2nd drivers. If Kimi is treated like Michael there is no way Massa is gonna win.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 12:17 (Ref:1710148)   #4
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molotov
It also depends if Ferrari will change their politics about 1st and 2nd drivers. If Kimi is treated like Michael there is no way Massa is gonna win.
Kimi by some margin. I think he's quicker than Massa anyway - I guess we'll find out - but don't doubt for a second that Ferrari didn't sign Kimi as their No. 1 driver which likely has some advantages, no matter what they might say.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 12:21 (Ref:1710153)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molotov
Massa the first 5 races, Raikonnen the rest of the year.
I think Kimi from the first race.
Quote:
It also depends if Ferrari will change their politics about 1st and 2nd drivers. If Kimi is treated like Michael there is no way Massa is gonna win.
No.1 driver will be the fastest driver, which will be Kimi anyway (similar to what Last2LiftOff says).
Old 14 Sep 2006, 12:34 (Ref:1710158)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
No third car drivers next season,Massa will be the unofficial 'track cleaner/tyre tester'.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1710180)   #7
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the team still does not know Kimmi well. They know how MS worked and are so impressed they want him to keep driving their cars. If Kimmi can fill MS's shoes then I say he will score many more points but if the team does not gel quickly it could be close. Kimmi is a better racer but Ferrari is ending an era. I doubt it will be an easy transition. At least Massa understands the culture more and has raced with MS. He standes a better chance of carrying on the culture already established there.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 13:24 (Ref:1710192)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Just depends on the whether Ferrari continues with existing format.

Ferrari have invested a lot of time and money in Massa so i'm not sure they've done this just for him to be a back up guy have they?!

I think we maybe surprised by the results between him and Kimi...
Old 14 Sep 2006, 13:28 (Ref:1710196)   #9
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We can really only conjecture. look how Rubins struggled initially in a different team/car, so maybe Kimi won't slot straight in and win, and Filipe is getter better all the time.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 14:19 (Ref:1710238)   #10
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
I agree. If there is going to be any sort of speed advantage, it will probably go to Kimi, but it will be small. And speed does not always correlate into results, as both of these drivers have shown occaisionally through mechanical fault and driver error.

On racecraft, I don't think that either of them are particularly strong drivers. Kimi is a little more agressive with the pass, I think, but neither are masters of traffic or strategy. I don't think either are particularly strong in the mechanical sympathy category, either. As far as technical/setup aptitude go, there may be an edge for Massa... Kimi is reportedly more of a "I'll show up and drive" kind of driver, whereas Massa has a year's worth of full-time testing for Ferrari as well as a full year of racing/testing... quite a head start in the technical department.

I think it could be a very, very close fight between these two next year... And a lot will depend on their state of mind... A desperate Kimi is very fast, a desperate Felipe will probably end up in the barriers.

Last edited by shiny side up!; 14 Sep 2006 at 14:23.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 14:36 (Ref:1710245)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Ferrari have invested a lot of time and money in Massa so i'm not sure they've done this just for him to be a back up guy have they?!
They have invested a lot of money in Kimi! They invested a lot of money in Irvine and Barrichello too. Massa looks cheap by comparison.

Whatever they won't purposely hold either of them back, but they will get behind the quicker one. And that will be Kimi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive
We can really only conjecture. look how Rubins struggled initially in a different team/car, so maybe Kimi won't slot straight in and win, and Filipe is getter better all the time.
Maybe being new to the team was a (small) factor in the early Ferrari form of Rubens, but the main reason was that Rubens was no Michael, which is why he appeared to struggled.

Let us not weight these second order effects over the primary reason.

shiny, I disagree with how close you think Massa will be to Kimi over the year, but I do agree with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssu!
I think it could be a very, very close fight between these two next year... And a lot will depend on their state of mind... A desperate Kimi is very fast, a desperate Felipe will probably end up in the barriers.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 14:51 (Ref:1710259)   #12
newoutsider
Racer

newoutsider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There can be no doubt that Kimmi is a far, far better driver tham Massa.

But Massa is 'at home' so will start with an edge (including how the car works with the tyres), so there is a fair chance that he will be close to Kimmi if not in frint of him to start with.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 16:50 (Ref:1710324)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it will be closer than many think. Massa is very good and will only refine his driving now.

Kimi has more pure speed probably and a lot more composure. He is, however, far from unbeatable.

It depends how Kimi fits in at Ferrari first and foremost.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1710362)   #14
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kimi will take it IMO.... Massa has come on leaps and bounds but i reckon Kimi has just a little more quality
Old 14 Sep 2006, 20:22 (Ref:1710493)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kimi should be the stronger driver by mid-season, unelss the team decides to focus on Massa for the championship. A couple of reliability problems early in the year and we could see Massa leading the championship from (say) Alonso, which might leave Kimi playing the 1B role.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 21:08 (Ref:1710510)   #16
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Massa will support Raikkonen just like he did Schumi. Kimi is the clear favorite for the title next year for me at least.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 21:25 (Ref:1710519)   #17
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read an article a long time ago in F1 Magazine (where the Nige was the Editor). Anyway, the engineers at Sauber said Kimi was good, but Massa is an animal!
Old 14 Sep 2006, 21:31 (Ref:1710523)   #18
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, when we see that Kimi is actually even faster than he looked in McLaren.

People often say that first battle an F1 driver has is against his teammate, and this one will be easy for Kimi.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 21:36 (Ref:1710528)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete
Anyway, the engineers at Sauber said Kimi was good, but Massa is an animal!
Was it an article on Massa by any chance?

Anyway, what is better? Good or animal?
Old 14 Sep 2006, 21:47 (Ref:1710538)   #20
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I would expect Raikonen to be faster, although not by much. Massa has shown this year just how good a driver he is, hes made very few mistakes and has done a good job all year round. So far he is doing better job than Barichello managed during his time at Ferrari which is no mean feat. IMO.

Still, Raikonen should be a little faster most of the time, just dont write off Massa...
Old 14 Sep 2006, 21:52 (Ref:1710540)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I expect Kimi to be faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Was it an article on Massa by any chance?

Anyway, what is better? Good or animal?

A good animal or a bad animal ???
Old 14 Sep 2006, 22:41 (Ref:1710583)   #22
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce
Massa will support Raikkonen just like he did Schumi. .
I dont think so, buddy. Get ready to see Massa and Kimi battle it out at least for the first half of the 2007 season. I think with His Highness the King Herr Michael out of F1, Ferrari will get back to 'normal mode'. I am sincerely hoping they do.

Honestly, I cant wait for next year.. I think 2007 will be the best racing season in sometime and my gut feeling tells me it will be Kimi vs Massa for the title (with some intermittent wins by Button, Alonso, Heikki and potentially Heidfeld in an improved BMW).

Last edited by freud; 14 Sep 2006 at 22:47.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 23:09 (Ref:1710593)   #23
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
First off. I think it is high time to eat crow .... for all those that wrote Massa off, as a one season fill-in at Ferrari. And there were a hell of a lot of people in that group. I look for Kimi and Massa to be very close in pace and it should prove to be quite an interesting match up, and likely the best one-two punch in F1 (unless RD signs JV to drive alongside Alonso).
Old 14 Sep 2006, 23:44 (Ref:1710601)   #24
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think even if the team did try & set it self up around Massa like they did TGF Kimi would still wipe the floor with him.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 23:49 (Ref:1710603)   #25
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Here we go again! Massa is as fast as anyone in F1 and as good as Kimi is, he will have to be at his best to beat him.