Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Sep 2008, 14:21 (Ref:2286505)   #501
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
Hmm, I wonder what this will mean for the number of entries in GT2. Corvette racing drove everyone who tried to take them on out of GT1, might that happen in GT2 as well? After all it's a full-on factory assault against a few semi-factory teams and a lot of privateers.
With LMP2 being left behind by the factories, it could soon become once again the favourite playground for privateers.
Really though, who did Corvette drive out?

ACEMCO? A team that didn't win anything of note in GT2 either.
AVR? Nice guys, but.....
Rafanelli - in the wrong Ferrari 550..

Really, I think that's about it.

Regarding LMP2 being left behind, I think we should hold off on concluding this. Next year could look very much like this year, less of course the two Acuras that move to P2, unless they are bought by privateers. Again, we already have a number of teams sniffing around, to pick up an Acura LMP2, to pick up any number of the Porsche Spyders built, that haven't turned a wheel.... (of course with all the disclaimers as per usual about funding, and not believing it until it is on the grid... )

Corvette Racing is good, but I don't believe that the Ferrari, BMW or Porsche Factory backed teams are exactly slouches either.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 15:04 (Ref:2286527)   #502
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Some interesting further analysis here by Marshall Pruett at Speed.com.
Yes David. Very Interesting

"After reaching out to rival and potential GT1 manufacturers to gauge interest on joining the rather thin category, a marked lack of positive responses would find GM looking for a new division to call home. "

So GM talked to other manfactures to step up to GT1, but did not get positive responses. ie GT1 as we know it is dead or just about.

And

"That choice was made much easier with a soft global economy and waning car sales – the tens of millions of dollars required to build a prototype to fight the likes of Audi, Peugeot, and Acura wouldn’t be forthcoming anytime soon. A step down one class to GT2 was the only logical choice for Wesoloski and his partners at Pratt & Miller Racing."

and

"With the team phasing out their GT1 efforts, the prospect of an unsubscribed GT1 category in 2009 is very real. Corvette Racing will use Sebring and Long Beach as a tune-up for another Le Mans bid, but the remaining rounds might find GT1 with just one or two entries. Or none."
Old 10 Sep 2008, 15:24 (Ref:2286534)   #503
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 359
Hopefully the ACO's one class will be one of the two new FIA classes, and not some "third option" hybrid that will just muck everything up.
I think i can see how the classes will work with one spec giving us different classes.

The single ACO class and the GT2 class for FIA competition will be the same and Ratel's GT1 will be the single ACO/FIA-GT2 class cars with the upgrade package mentioned.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 10 Sep 2008, 15:26 (Ref:2286536)   #504
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Yes David. Very Interesting

"After reaching out to rival and potential GT1 manufacturers to gauge interest on joining the rather thin category, a marked lack of positive responses would find GM looking for a new division to call home. "

So GM talked to other manfactures to step up to GT1, but did not get positive responses. ie GT1 as we know it is dead or just about.
I appreciate why you would come to the conclusion that you have, but it isn't quite correct. (at least from my understanding)

I believe that they gauged interest in what could/should/would be the future GT1 category, at least according to the FIA. There are currently TWO interested parties, and one isn't a manufacturer. The interest in the future FIA based GT rules, is all in GT2. No coincidence that Corvette will move to a 5.5l engine in 2010, when these rules take effect, which keeps them in GT2.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 16:23 (Ref:2286560)   #505
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
http://www.endurance-info.com/static...dex.txt&npds=1
Old 10 Sep 2008, 18:02 (Ref:2286617)   #506
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
So we will see what is released on Sept 15.
I'm not so sure the ACO press conference will reveal much about GT... especially when GT situation seems to be very unclear and it's only five days to go...
Old 10 Sep 2008, 18:32 (Ref:2286644)   #507
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis
I'm not so sure the ACO press conference will reveal much about GT... especially when GT situation seems to be very unclear and it's only five days to go...
It is UNCLEAR for the public. The manufactures and teams know what the rules are. Just waiting for the OFFICIAL Press Release.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 18:41 (Ref:2286651)   #508
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.crash.net/motorsport/alms...ype_plans.html
Old 10 Sep 2008, 18:42 (Ref:2286652)   #509
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It is UNCLEAR for the public. The manufactures and teams know what the rules are.
Yes, crystal clear, as Doug Fehan's responses implies...

On Ratel/FIA's side, probably won't hear much until FIA WMSC makes their decision(s) in November/early December (that's usually when WMSC is having their meetings). For sure that will affect ACO's decisions too.
Old 17 Sep 2008, 14:50 (Ref:2292590)   #510
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find it very interesting that Corvette is moving to GT2 now that the ACO has announced P2 size engines will be the next generation P1s. Could this mean we see a factory P1 Corvette in 2010 or 2011?

Maybe the Corvette Pescarolo is a toe in the water type of approach, then again maybe it is totally unrelated.
Old 17 Sep 2008, 15:57 (Ref:2292625)   #511
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype
I find it very interesting that Corvette is moving to GT2 now that the ACO has announced P2 size engines will be the next generation P1s. Could this mean we see a factory P1 Corvette in 2010 or 2011?

Maybe the Corvette Pescarolo is a toe in the water type of approach, then again maybe it is totally unrelated.
Not likely, Chevy has other items coming up in car sales and a p car is of little to zero concern to them.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 15:43 (Ref:2293779)   #512
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not so sure.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 22:26 (Ref:2293980)   #513
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
Not likely, Chevy has other items coming up in car sales and a p car is of little to zero concern to them.
In light of your definitive statement, I was just wondering, what was the impetus for the Chevy Corvette GTP car of the mid 80s if there is no interest in prototype racing at Chevy? I'm not arguing, I'm just asking as I have no idea either way of determining Chevy's interest. However, one could surmise that they might have some interest if they could get some good publicity out of it.

DK
Old 20 Sep 2008, 18:12 (Ref:2294307)   #514
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
with Corvette Racing to GT2, next year GM will still support its customers in Europe LAA and Phoenix Racing ?
Old 20 Sep 2008, 18:59 (Ref:2294332)   #515
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Corvette will not move to GT-2 until after Le Mans, also why would P&M not provide the support package for the complete year? It is not like the engineers cease to exist because the "works" team switches chassis. I see no reason what so ever for them not to continue with support until the cars can no longer run in GT-1.

L.P.
Old 20 Sep 2008, 19:56 (Ref:2294354)   #516
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
In light of your definitive statement, I was just wondering, what was the impetus for the Chevy Corvette GTP car of the mid 80s if there is no interest in prototype racing at Chevy? I'm not arguing, I'm just asking as I have no idea either way of determining Chevy's interest. However, one could surmise that they might have some interest if they could get some good publicity out of it.

DK
In the eighties all Detroit was RE-ENTERING motorsports with a large presence after quitting in the early seventies, that is the the BIG difference.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 19:04 (Ref:2314927)   #517
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Corvette's 08 Laguna livery. http://www.badboyvettes.com/album?a=...2008&backnum=0

L.P.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 09:04 (Ref:2315140)   #518
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
One bad ass livery, love those guys!

Go for it, champion Magnussen
Old 18 Oct 2008, 23:00 (Ref:2315520)   #519
protopuma
Racer

protopuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Johnny O just say they were going to race with the new ZR1 in GT2 on RLM? I swear thats what I heard.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 23:10 (Ref:2315521)   #520
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by protopuma
Did Johnny O just say they were going to race with the new ZR1 in GT2 on RLM? I swear thats what I heard.
Somewhat

The new GT2 Corvette will be based on the ZR1. But a different engine, not the LS9

The GT1 Corvette is based on the CZ06 for the most part
Old 18 Oct 2008, 23:41 (Ref:2315528)   #521
protopuma
Racer

protopuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For some reason I just assumed that they would use the C6 since they sell more of those then any other model. I wonder if the GT2 ZR1 will get the clear hood.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 11:50 (Ref:2315836)   #522
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by protopuma
For some reason I just assumed that they would use the C6 since they sell more of those then any other model. I wonder if the GT2 ZR1 will get the clear hood.
nah but you can count on an extractor hood
Old 19 Oct 2008, 16:24 (Ref:2315985)   #523
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
as I understund, current GT3 cars can be upgrated to a GT1 spec car, if it is correct, the Z06 Callaway could enter the new GT1 ?
Old 19 Oct 2008, 16:49 (Ref:2315997)   #524
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru_WRX_STi
as I understund, current GT3 cars can be upgrated to a GT1 spec car, if it is correct, the Z06 Callaway could enter the new GT1 ?

Huh? GT-3 to GT-1, where did that notion come from??

L.P.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 17:31 (Ref:2316029)   #525
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Huh? GT-3 to GT-1, where did that notion come from??
on endurance-info the new GT1 will be based on the current GT3, and these GT3s can be upgrated to GT1