Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 2 Nov 2009, 16:32 (Ref:2574228)   #1251
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for that, Burnsie, It's an an interesting stab at the line-up and not too far from being accurate, I'd say, although whoever wrote it should know how to spell Teflonso, sorry Alonso.

It would actually be very smart to re-unite Taku and Ant at Manor, because they're both quick, fairly experienced and get on well.

I don't know how much harm Fisi's spell at Ferrari has done him. He may have to settle for simply being their test driver.

The only newcomers in that list are Hulkenberg and Senna, both of whom deserve it.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 16:44 (Ref:2574240)   #1252
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Not a major shock though really is it? Neither has really covered themselves in glory.
No it's not a shock at all, not in terms of racing performances anyway. If Kobayashi and (possibly) Sato hadn't come along, then I wouldn't have been surprised to see Nakajima signed due to his "marketability" in Asia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
...whoever wrote it should know how to spell Teflonso, sorry Alonso.
Like I said, those are someone else's predictions, but it was me who typed Alosno. Thanks for drawing attention to my incompetence

Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

You've changed your avatar, Strider Are you feeling okay?!

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Old 2 Nov 2009, 17:10 (Ref:2574262)   #1253
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
Like I said, those are someone else's predictions, but it was me who typed Alosno. Thanks for drawing attention to my incompetence
Sorry, I didn't realise that it was you who had typed it, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it. I thought you had done a crafty cut and paste!
Quote:
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

You've changed your avatar, Strider Are you feeling okay?!

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Yes, I'm feeling fine thanks! It's just that (as you may have gathered, lol) Kimi is my favourite F1 driver and character and just in case yesterday was his last F1 race I thought I should wave the flag for him!

Regardless of how things turn out, at some point I shall revert to Gil, who is probably the driver, team owner and all round good guy for whom I have the most respect in the whole of motor racing. Outside that it's Petter Solberg. F1 could do with a character like him.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 18:09 (Ref:2574294)   #1254
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
These are NOT my predictions - they are from a another website - but I thought that they made for interesting reading so I've pasted them here...

TeamNo.Driver
Brawn1Jenson BUTTON
2Nico ROSBERG
Red Bull3Sebastian VETTEL
4Mark WEBBER
Williams5Rubens BARRICHELLO
6Nicolas HÜLKENBERG
McLaren7Lewis HAMILTON
8Kimi RÄIKKÖNEN
Ferrari9Fernando ALOSNO
10Felipe MASSA
Renault11Timo Glock
12Robert KUBICA
Toyota14Nick HEIDFELD
15Kamui KOBAYASHI
Sauber (???)16Giancarlo FISICHELLA
17Christian KLIEN
Toro Rosso18Sébastien BUEMI
19Jaime ALGUERSUARI
Force India20Adrian SUTIL
21Vitantonio LIUZZI
Campos Meta22Bruno SENNA
23Pedro DE LA ROSA
Manor24Anthony DAVIDSON
25Takuma SATO
US F126Sébastien BOURDAIS
27Jacques VILLENEUVE
Lotus28Jarno TRULLI
29Heikki KOVALAINEN

No Kazuki Nakajima or Romain Grosjean to be seen in those predictions.
The worst way to spark American interest in F1 would be a French Canadian, and a French guy in the same team. And Bourdais probably never wants to step foot in an F1 paddock, anyway.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 18:35 (Ref:2574309)   #1255
jakabodix
Rookie

UK-ROI
London
jakabodix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
The worst way to spark American interest in F1 would be a French Canadian, and a French guy in the same team. And Bourdais probably never wants to step foot in an F1 paddock, anyway.
I think Bourdais has stated an interest in returning to F1, at least in the weeks following his departure from STR. His racing in Superleague Formula backs that up, and he's more known to an American audience than most F1 drivers. Whether he gets the drive, or if he's even in contention, is another matter.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 18:37 (Ref:2574311)   #1256
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabodix View Post
I think Bourdais has stated an interest in returning to F1, at least in the weeks following his departure from STR. His racing in Superleague Formula backs that up, and he's more known to an American audience than most F1 drivers. Whether he gets the drive, or if he's even in contention, is another matter.
So 5 more people know him?
Old 2 Nov 2009, 18:55 (Ref:2574328)   #1257
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Bourdais is a whiner from what I understand and PW has said they need someone who understands that this first year is a learning process so I doubt they have the patience for Bourdais. Villenueve is past his prime so I don't see the point of him either.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 19:01 (Ref:2574331)   #1258
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
Villenueve is past his prime so I don't see the point of him either.
They don't need someone who's necessarily fast. They need experience, publicity and sponsors, all of which JV will bring to the table. Experience is absolutely vital, far outweighing actual race pace. Hence why your de la Rosas, Montagnys, Davidsons and Kliens are the ones the new teams are rumoured to be after - because although they're not that quick, their F1 mileage is far beyond the majority of drivers on the market. If they bring money then even better

As for Bourdais, most of the speculation about him is just forum gossip. I haven't heard a concrete source linking him there in months. But then again, Senna going to Campos was dismissed due to an Embratel/Telefonica clash and Petrov was considered a dead cert for the seat he's just taken, so who knows? I still think Summerton's got a decent chance for the 2nd seat - Rossi needs another year or 2 in GP2, although his GP2 Asia form has been very impressive so they may fast-track him
Old 2 Nov 2009, 19:52 (Ref:2574370)   #1259
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
If Wurz is staying in sports cars, de la Rosa is going to Campos and Davidson really is headed to Manor, then that's your most experienced test/development drivers gone.

In that case, Villeneuve would make sense for USF1. He's obviously experienced, and an ex-WDC, which kind of adds credibility.

I think Grosjean's and Alguersuari's efforts this season have shown that going for a rookie in today's world of very limited testing is not the answer. Toro Rosso may be going to persevere with Jaimie, but it looks as though Grosjean has gone. He needs to drop back to GP2 and win that convincingly. He's not another Pantano, yet.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 20:13 (Ref:2574381)   #1260
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
There is now talk of McLaren being free of Mercedes by the middle of December (but will keep engine supply),and that Brawn may no longer be Brawn by the end of the year!

No link as yet.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 20:23 (Ref:2574386)   #1261
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I think Grosjean's and Alguersuari's efforts this season have shown that going for a rookie in today's world of very limited testing is not the answer.
Well, not necessarily. I'd say that it shows that going for a rookie mid-season with no testing is not the answer, although Kobayashi's performances counter that
Old 2 Nov 2009, 20:37 (Ref:2574393)   #1262
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
There is now talk of McLaren being free of Mercedes by the middle of December (but will keep engine supply),and that Brawn may no longer be Brawn by the end of the year!

No link as yet.
What do you mean by "Brawn may no loner be Brawn"? A name change?
Old 2 Nov 2009, 20:43 (Ref:2574400)   #1263
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
MercedesF1?
Old 2 Nov 2009, 20:47 (Ref:2574408)   #1264
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Well, not necessarily. I'd say that it shows that going for a rookie mid-season with no testing is not the answer, although Kobayashi's performances counter that
Didn't Kobayashi actually get some testing in a 2009 car prior to the season?
Old 2 Nov 2009, 20:48 (Ref:2574411)   #1265
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was looking at the Driver of the Race thread and there was a bunch of talk about GP2 and the drivers coming through from it... some of the best drivers not getting the chance in GP2 or F1 because of financial backing. So, this is what F2 was supposed to remedy wasn't it? Any word of teams looking at F2 drivers for next year?
Old 2 Nov 2009, 20:50 (Ref:2574414)   #1266
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
There was a large presence of Mercedes personel at the Yas circuit. There was talk of doing a deal that would see McLaren paid off so that they could put all of their effort into turning Brawn into maybe the 'Mercedes F1 team'.

McLaren are going into manufacturing cars that will compete directly against some Mercedes top-line cars and will have McLaren engines.McLaren have also barred Mercedes from making a big deal out of their success with Brawn!

This may be the reason why everything is taking so long on the driver front.

The Brawn's may be silver next season!

Last edited by Marbot; 2 Nov 2009 at 20:59.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 21:13 (Ref:2574443)   #1267
jakabodix
Rookie

UK-ROI
London
jakabodix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
I was looking at the Driver of the Race thread and there was a bunch of talk about GP2 and the drivers coming through from it... some of the best drivers not getting the chance in GP2 or F1 because of financial backing. So, this is what F2 was supposed to remedy wasn't it? Any word of teams looking at F2 drivers for next year?
I think this might have been mentioned, but...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79940

No mention of with whom as yet.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 21:39 (Ref:2574461)   #1268
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Will the McLaren be orange then? That would actually be awesome! I always like that colour on their cars.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 21:43 (Ref:2574462)   #1269
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
When you think about it, the only teams that can test new, young drivers later this month are the existing ones, because they have the cars. Renault are or were supposed to be testing Bruno Senna, but that might have gone away now he's signed for Campos. Di Grassi might get a shot instead.

The new teams are in a fix, because they possibly want to be testing drivers most, but they won't have cars until the new year. I'd love to see drivers like Adam Carroll and Esteban Guerrieri get a test, but I don't think it's going to happen.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 21:52 (Ref:2574468)   #1270
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorian View Post
Will the McLaren be orange then? That would actually be awesome! I always like that colour on their cars.
Me too. It was when great a few years ago when they tested interim cars in that colour.

However, I don't think Vodafone would be too keen.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 22:04 (Ref:2574478)   #1271
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There was a large presence of Mercedes personel at the Yas circuit. There was talk of doing a deal that would see McLaren paid off so that they could put all of their effort into turning Brawn into maybe the 'Mercedes F1 team'.

McLaren are going into manufacturing cars that will compete directly against some Mercedes top-line cars and will have McLaren engines.McLaren have also barred Mercedes from making a big deal out of their success with Brawn!

This may be the reason why everything is taking so long on the driver front.

Can't see it happening anytime soon, personally.

Sure, I agree that Mercedes is getting further into bed with Brawn, but somehow I can't see them upping and leaving McLaren just like that. Not with McLaren's late season form, that's got to carry to 2010. And Brawn's latter half of the season has hardly been staggering, has it?
Old 3 Nov 2009, 00:52 (Ref:2574571)   #1272
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Can't see it happening anytime soon, personally.
hmmm.....possibly sooner than you think.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 01:51 (Ref:2574601)   #1273
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Brawn-Mercedes 20010...
Old 3 Nov 2009, 01:57 (Ref:2574606)   #1274
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Brawn-Mercedes 20010...
I think that they may be looking to do a deal a bit earlier than that, and possibly without the word 'Brawn' in the title.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 02:19 (Ref:2574614)   #1275
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Okay how about next year then..

It's never too late by the way..
Closed Thread