Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 19 Feb 2010, 23:10 (Ref:2636664)   #2426
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Montagny would probably be my first choice...

I'm still baffled that he has never really scored an F1 drive... He is a categoric missed opportunity in F1 - especially for Renault.

What's he up to this year anyway?
Old 19 Feb 2010, 23:12 (Ref:2636667)   #2427
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Well, we're talking about him now, aren't we? Would we be having this same debate about Klien or Montagny?

JV is one of the most popular drivers and has a loyal fanbase. Plus he's also one of the most unpopular, which has its benefits as well. A JV comeback would bring website hits and sell magazines
That's what worries me most... you weren't around in his hey-day over here !
Old 19 Feb 2010, 23:27 (Ref:2636674)   #2428
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
Montagny would probably be my first choice...

I'm still baffled that he has never really scored an F1 drive... He is a categoric missed opportunity in F1 - especially for Renault.

What's he up to this year anyway?
Agreed, I'd like to see him get another shot. Don't know what he's up to this year, though. He was in the running for the Renault drive. I guess he's going to stay in sportscars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
That's what worries me most... you weren't around in his hey-day over here !
I caught the tail-end of it...
Old 20 Feb 2010, 11:42 (Ref:2636949)   #2429
Shaddix
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
Shaddix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Agreed, I'd like to see him get another shot. Don't know what he's up to this year, though. He was in the running for the Renault drive. I guess he's going to stay in sportscars
I think he's a hairdresser again
Old 20 Feb 2010, 12:07 (Ref:2636965)   #2430
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I caught the tail-end of it...
It was far worse believe me.

Scores of deluded Canadians moaning about Dave Richards. Every. Single. Minute.

Funny thing was though, a lot of his countrymen were unimpressed by him as well, so there was this civil war sub-plot going on...
Old 20 Feb 2010, 13:24 (Ref:2637022)   #2431
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know what JV fans are like through other forums

JV detractors are just as bad, though
Old 20 Feb 2010, 17:50 (Ref:2637186)   #2432
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
With regards to JV i can't help but feel that the negativity he'd bring to the team would outweigh the talent.

Just my opinion of course
Old 20 Feb 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2637208)   #2433
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Lopez-Campos announcement expected on Monday

Good news if true. OK, so he may well be rubbish this year, but it would be harsh to see him out of a drive regardless of how good he is, plus "Campos" need the money

Hopefully he'll be alongside Senna. Hopefully...
Old 20 Feb 2010, 18:57 (Ref:2637217)   #2434
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Really? I thought the saying was "Better the devil you (do) know"

are there any better available options than Ralf and JV? Of course not
Yes that is normally the quote, which is why in this instance I said it's sometimes better to take the devil you don't know.

Considering how bad they have both been for the last half dozen years, of course there are better options.

But there are no options that will get everyone talking like they are now.
Old 20 Feb 2010, 19:12 (Ref:2637220)   #2435
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
You make it sound as if they are dreadful drivers. They aren't

Well, Ralf was pretty poor in 2007, I'll give you that, but Toyota built a dog of a car and Trulli didn't do that much better. But otherwise, he was solid at Toyota until then. And (I'll say it again) Jacques matched Massa and Heidfeld. Plus experience counts
Old 20 Feb 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2637230)   #2436
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You make it sound as if they are dreadful drivers. They aren't

Well, Ralf was pretty poor in 2007, I'll give you that, but Toyota built a dog of a car and Trulli didn't do that much better. But otherwise, he was solid at Toyota until then. And (I'll say it again) Jacques matched Massa and Heidfeld. Plus experience counts
They're not dreadful, but Ralf was pretty poor before 2007 IMO, and Jacques matched Massa before Massa 'grew up' into the racer that he is today.

But yes, experience does count for alot with a new team and that is something that no GP2 driver has currently.
Old 20 Feb 2010, 19:48 (Ref:2637240)   #2437
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
What do you term as 'pretty poor'? He beat his team mate on points for the 2 previous seasons
Old 20 Feb 2010, 20:04 (Ref:2637244)   #2438
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wow.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 08:24 (Ref:2637507)   #2439
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Lopez-Campos announcement expected on Monday

Good news if true. OK, so he may well be rubbish this year, but it would be harsh to see him out of a drive regardless of how good he is, plus "Campos" need the money

Hopefully he'll be alongside Senna. Hopefully...
Agree with that sentiment - I know the Argentinians are desperate to have an F1 driver again, and that Carlos Reutemann has been instrumental. I dont know what the state of Lole's relationship with Bernie is these days, it was sour during his later F1 years but hopefully Bernie is on side for Lopez transfer to Campos. It would make sense for Campos to have a Spanish speaking driver (as opposed to Portugese).
Old 23 Feb 2010, 08:47 (Ref:2638865)   #2440
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
More for next year, but Bild are once again on the Kimi-to-Red Bull wagon, this time saying that Webber will retire after the end of the season, allowing Kimi to join
Old 23 Feb 2010, 09:30 (Ref:2638896)   #2441
Shaddix
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
Shaddix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Webber will retire so soon, he's more like Barichello and Fisichella, he'll go to another team if Kimi goes to RedBull
Old 23 Feb 2010, 11:51 (Ref:2638963)   #2442
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
More for next year, but Bild are once again on the Kimi-to-Red Bull wagon, this time saying that Webber will retire after the end of the season, allowing Kimi to join
This idea won't go away....

Has to be said other than having WDC on board, what would Kimi offer that Webbo doesn't? Their experience is similar after all.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 12:01 (Ref:2638969)   #2443
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Has to be said other than having WDC on board, what would Kimi offer that Webbo doesn't? Their experience is similar after all.
Well Kimi has a WDC, but Webber would rather race than have an ice cream and a coke....
Old 23 Feb 2010, 12:15 (Ref:2638977)   #2444
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddix View Post
I don't think Webber will retire so soon
I'm not so sure. He's made numerous comments in the past about not wanting to race if he's not in a competitive car, and that he would've quit after last year if the RB5 hadn't been such a gem, and so on. Plus he has a stake in the Arden GP3 team now. He's never struck me as the sort to go on and on just for the sake of it
Old 23 Feb 2010, 12:36 (Ref:2638986)   #2445
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I doubt he would have quit if last years car was poor. Just seems like amateur dramatics to me.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 12:37 (Ref:2638987)   #2446
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
what would Kimi offer that Webbo doesn't?
Superior ability.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 12:40 (Ref:2638990)   #2447
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Superior ability.
Presumably you mean drinking?
Old 23 Feb 2010, 12:46 (Ref:2638994)   #2448
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Presumably you mean drinking?
Yes Jab, I meant drinking. Kimi Raikkonen drank his way to eighteen Grand Prix victories and one world championship.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 12:47 (Ref:2638996)   #2449
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Drink driving.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 13:08 (Ref:2639008)   #2450
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I rate Webber, which I do, I think Raikkonen is in another step of peak performance. One may question his attitude sometimes, but he´s probably the fastest thing out there. Well, he was, pity he´s gone.
Closed Thread