Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Nov 2019, 18:55 (Ref:3943244)   #451
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am slightly surprised that the 1950's sports cars elicited so much interest, they are very much MY era, so I make no apology for sharing some more images of these wonderful cars;
Attached Thumbnails
Brit sport 1.JPG   Brit Spoert 2.JPG   Brit Sport 3.JPG  

Btit Sport 4.JPG   Brit Sports 5.jpg   Brit Sports 6.jpg  

Old 27 Nov 2019, 19:19 (Ref:3943248)   #452
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I am slightly surprised that the 1950's sports cars elicited so much interest, they are very much MY era, so I make no apology for sharing some more images of these wonderful cars;

You are saying they are ERAs Bob?

Surely not?

Old 27 Nov 2019, 19:23 (Ref:3943250)   #453
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The thing about the 50s through to early 60s sports cars is that they are just so incredibly elegant. Mostly.

Or, if you like, given an era where #metoo would never have existed, so incredibly attractive at any level.

It's an enduring appeal.

Whether the appeal shifts to later decades as the years pass remains to be seen.

I fear that the younger generations will never feel liberated enough to express an opinion.
Old 27 Nov 2019, 19:24 (Ref:3943252)   #454
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

The thing about the 50s through to early 60s sports cars is that they are just so incredibly elegant. Mostly.

Or, if you like, given an era where #metoo would never have existed, so incredibly attractive at any level.

It's an enduring appeal.

Whether the appeal shifts to later decades as the years pass remains to be seen.

I fear that the younger generations will never feel liberated enough to express an opinion.
Old 27 Nov 2019, 19:27 (Ref:3943253)   #455
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Old 27 Nov 2019, 21:18 (Ref:3943268)   #456
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well said Grant!
Old 27 Nov 2019, 21:19 (Ref:3943269)   #457
bauble
Veteran

England
Well said Grant! Again
Old 27 Nov 2019, 21:21 (Ref:3943270)   #458
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
You are saying they are ERAs Bob?

Surely not?

You can not be serious!

Thus showing a deep knowledge of people hitting a ball across a net
Old 27 Nov 2019, 21:23 (Ref:3943272)   #459
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Well said Grant! Again
Indeed.

Not sure what happened there. A simple edit went awry and left 2 versions (that I could see) of the post. One with text and the other with text removed as I could find no way to delete the post.

Where the third one came from I have no idea.

Technology. You have to love it.

Our betters want us to rely upon for everything in life starting quite soon.

One has to wonder how much "better" they are.
Old 27 Nov 2019, 22:37 (Ref:3943281)   #460
bauble
Veteran

England
Something for you youngsters to drool over, I'm sure you loved the '60's.
Attached Thumbnails
112.JPG   113.JPG   114.JPG  

115.JPG   122.JPG   088.JPG  

Old 27 Nov 2019, 23:08 (Ref:3943287)   #461
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

It's an enduring appeal.

Good words Grant. I find them stunning to look at and stunning to hear. What I like about them most is you can see the drivers working at the wheel quite well with the 50s style cars. Makes it always entertaining to watch.

Do love a D Type. Cheers Bob for pics.
Old 28 Nov 2019, 10:52 (Ref:3943361)   #462
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Good words Grant. I find them stunning to look at and stunning to hear. What I like about them most is you can see the drivers working at the wheel quite well with the 50s style cars. Makes it always entertaining to watch.

Do love a D Type. Cheers Bob for pics.
Not only can you see the drivers working but also the suspension (in the formula cars) and, in the photos now for me but for younger people probably in the 'rubber', the tyres flexing through their higher sidewalls and crossply construction.

Great to watch the artists at work.

There were, of course, some dark sides in terms of safety.
Old 28 Nov 2019, 16:54 (Ref:3943427)   #463
bauble
Veteran

England
The Aston martin DB1 was a natty road car, the DB2 a road car that raced in major events, Le Mans etc. the DB3 was a pure sports racer, and was followed by the DB3S series, before the DBR1 was introduced. No doubt JT will scream at me about history … but that is how I recall things.
Attached Thumbnails
AM 2.jpg   AM 4.JPG   AM1.jpg  

AM 3.jpg   AM 8.JPG  
Old 28 Nov 2019, 17:04 (Ref:3943428)   #464
bauble
Veteran

England
Another interesting selection, come on RBS tell us all!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mix 1.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	799.6 KB
ID:	54890Click image for larger version

Name:	Mix 2.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	54891Click image for larger version

Name:	Mix 3.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	731.1 KB
ID:	54892
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mix 4.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	546.5 KB
ID:	54893Click image for larger version

Name:	Mix 5.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	54894Click image for larger version

Name:	Mix 6.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	818.5 KB
ID:	54895
Old 28 Nov 2019, 17:28 (Ref:3943434)   #465
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The Aston martin DB1 was a natty road car, the DB2 a road car that raced in major events, Le Mans etc. the DB3 was a pure sports racer, and was followed by the DB3S series, before the DBR1 was introduced. No doubt JT will scream at me about history … but that is how I recall things.
I don,t know how you do it Bauble , but that is how I remember it as well.
Old 28 Nov 2019, 17:29 (Ref:3943436)   #466
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I guess rbs will have them all but I can't see any Misirati… What a shame!!
Old 28 Nov 2019, 17:32 (Ref:3943437)   #467
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The little MG (special?) #96 is sweet! The red car in first pic looks like the W12 Napier engined Bentley to me.....
Old 28 Nov 2019, 18:19 (Ref:3943445)   #468
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Sweet? Because its red? OK, sweet then… Quizz in the quizz, how many models received those rear lenses (ADO Style me guess)?
Old 28 Nov 2019, 19:18 (Ref:3943457)   #469
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Go on then, 1 As Mike sas Napier Bentley, 2 Alfa Romeo 1750, 3 Bequet Delage, 4 Maserati 250F, 5 Lago Talbot T23, 6 MG special as Mike said.
Old 28 Nov 2019, 22:22 (Ref:3943491)   #470
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
3 Bequet Delage,
It is a car built in the image of the B D but not the actual car - that is a Curtiss V8 lurking there instead of the Hisso and I note it is registered as a 9000cc Fraser Nash .....so about as original as the rest of them
Old 29 Nov 2019, 07:41 (Ref:3943573)   #471
bauble
Veteran

England
I will divert, briefly from posting pictures to say 'Congratulations' to RBS, whose team won the Annual Silverstone Marshal's Quiz last night, beating the 'Lewis Hamiltons; of the quiz scene. ie multiple winners, by 109 points to 106.
Modestly I mention that DB43rd.scale and Bauble, plus David (who works for Williams) took the Bronze on 104 points.
Thanks to RB for inviting us, and to the other splendid folk for letting us get out alive. A great evening in very good company.
Old 29 Nov 2019, 07:44 (Ref:3943574)   #472
bauble
Veteran

England
With regard too the MG Special, as I have often mentioned I do not know what a lot of these pics are off, the relevant programs long gone for older meetings, however, somewhere in the dark recess of my memory Bellvue MG stirs. Migh be a clue.
Old 29 Nov 2019, 08:37 (Ref:3943579)   #473
bauble
Veteran

England
back to the matter in hand; A mixed bag of sports cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Batch 2 a.JPG   Batch 2 b.jpg   Batc 2 d.jpg  

Batch 2 c.jpg   Batch2 e.JPG   Batch 2 f.JPG  

Old 29 Nov 2019, 08:39 (Ref:3943580)   #474
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I will divert, briefly from posting pictures to say 'Congratulations' to RBS, whose team won the Annual Silverstone Marshal's Quiz last night, beating the 'Lewis Hamiltons; of the quiz scene. ie multiple winners, by 109 points to 106.
Modestly I mention that DB43rd.scale and Bauble, plus David (who works for Williams) took the Bronze on 104 points.
Thanks to RB for inviting us, and to the other splendid folk for letting us get out alive. A great evening in very good company.
Thanks for inviting me to join the team, Bob. A thoroughly enjoyable evening and great that we managed the bottom step of the podium !
Old 29 Nov 2019, 08:41 (Ref:3943581)   #475
bauble
Veteran

England
Some one famous here;
Attached Thumbnails
321.JPG   330.JPG   340.JPG