Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OWRS to acquire Trans-Am!

From AutoWeek.com: http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?p..._code=00228348

(13:39 Dec. 17, 2003)
OWRS to acquire Trans-Am

Open Wheel Racing partner Paul Gentilozzi and Trans-Am Racing executive director John Clagett jointly announced that effective Jan. 1, 2004, OWRS will purchase Trans-Am Racing.
The move follows OWRS' announcement that it will purchase specific assets, including contracts with promoters, sponsors, and teams, through the planned Chapter 11 bankruptcy process of CART.

OWRS will immediately become involved in the planning of the 2004 Trans-Am season, which will herald an alignment of one of America’s sedan road racing series with the Champ Car single-seater championship.

“The Trans-Am Tour needed to continue its association with America’s premier road racing circuits, and the synergy created by integrating it under the Open Wheel umbrella along with the Champ Car World Series allows us to meet that goal,” said Gentilozzi. “Bringing Champ Car and Trans-Am under the same roof will also allow us to best capitalize on both series’ strengths, while more effectively managing both.”

“This is another positive step for Trans-Am, and we are pleased to join Champ Car under the Open Wheel banner,” said Clagett. “Planning for the 2004 season is well underway, and we expect to announce an exciting and ambitious Trans-Am racing schedule the week of Dec. 21.”

Last edited by Dov; 17 Dec 2003 at 19:30.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 19:29 (Ref:814397)   #2
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Woohoo!! I think thats great news. I've never seen a Trans-Am race, hopefully OWRS and Trans-Am will be in Portland this year, although thats up in the air still at this point.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 19:36 (Ref:814401)   #3
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Things certainly seem to be happening don't they? Could be good alright... Trans-Am can have a role as a supporting series and provides some interesting racing in it's own right, from the few races I've seen on TV. Is there a slight scent of nepotism, though?
Old 17 Dec 2003, 19:38 (Ref:814405)   #4
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
I used to watch Tommy Kendall, Paul Gentilozzi and Ron Fellows battle it out every year at the Toronto Molson Indy before Trans-Am was replaced with the CASCAR series. I hope you get to see Trans-Am come to Portland.....it's a fantastic racing series!
Old 17 Dec 2003, 19:41 (Ref:814409)   #5
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Testure
Is there a slight scent of nepotism, though?
As long as it benefits both series (especially CART), then what's the big deal!?
Old 17 Dec 2003, 19:53 (Ref:814427)   #6
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Smart choice since now they can automatically confirm 2 races for each road or street venue. Quicker sell to the promoters and tracks. Brilliant!
Old 17 Dec 2003, 20:00 (Ref:814435)   #7
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting! No one saw this coming did they?

What would be even more interesing is if they could start talking to some of the road courses Trans-Am races on but CART doesn't.....erm, for the future I mean!

But surely that says good things about OWRS finances if they can afford to "splash out" on such "luxuries" as Trans Am? :confused:

Still, a nice suprise,...Here's to more OWRS suprises between now and April!
Old 17 Dec 2003, 20:22 (Ref:814459)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So, does the "18 cars" requirement apply to total cars provided? Like, say, 13 champcars and 5 TA's?

Kidding, folks!
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Dec 2003, 20:28 (Ref:814464)   #9
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is great. I remember watching Trans-Am, IMSA, and C^RT all in the same weekend at Laguna. This is the kind of stuff that will make things go. Diversity of track and vehicle. This looks like many great racing weekends next summer. Race tickets make great stocking stuffers. All this news is timed well.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 20:39 (Ref:814473)   #10
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So am I correct in hearing that OWRS now owns Champcars, Atlantics, Trans Am. And Champcars also have Formula BMW coming onboard ? All of a sudden we seem to have a package here.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 20:51 (Ref:814479)   #11
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah but I hope Fat head Gentilozzi doesn't destroy the trans-am as it was, with a Participant driven Trans-am rival(all Gt1's from SCCA, and ex GTS from GrandAm) i feel the Trans-am fields may get thin. and PG is selfishly unwittingly destroying it. Bring on the GT1 guys, for race winning if not the championship it is the best deal so far, i don't see an SCv8 growing ot of this, or a DTM, so PG better wake up and smell the burning rubber.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 20:56 (Ref:814480)   #12
gaines
Racer

gaines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I the only one that gets the feeling that Open Wheel has a plan much bigger than any of us could have ever thought? Trans-Am racing is excellent racing in my opinion and if you package together CART, Trans-Am and Toyota Atlantics into one day you have one heck of a race day. I'm feeling pretty good about what we're seeing.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 21:11 (Ref:814500)   #13
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gaines
Am I the only one that gets the feeling that Open Wheel has a plan much bigger than any of us could have ever thought? Trans-Am racing is excellent racing in my opinion and if you package together CART, Trans-Am and Toyota Atlantics into one day you have one heck of a race day. I'm feeling pretty good about what we're seeing.
You're not the only one. OWRS has made a few moves and has a few plans that I haven't seen anyone here predict. But it's apparent that PG and company have a direction in mind and are beginning to walk their talk.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 21:27 (Ref:814515)   #14
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by codename_47
But surely that says good things about OWRS finances if they can afford to "splash out" on such "luxuries" as Trans Am? :confused:
Since Gentilozzi basically owns TA and is also a partner in OWRS, how much money do you think will actually change hands?

Sounds like a good plan to me - as people are saying, it's the package deal.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 00:07 (Ref:814689)   #15
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A ChampCar/TransAm race weekend is a ticket sold in my book. Road-racing is alive in North America. What would be really cool is to see some ChampCar drivers in a TransAm car on some weekends.

Last edited by enemy-ace; 18 Dec 2003 at 00:08.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 18 Dec 2003, 01:15 (Ref:814743)   #16
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
The History of Trans-Am...... http://www.trans-amseries.com/

Last edited by Dov; 18 Dec 2003 at 01:16.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 04:54 (Ref:814810)   #17
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I don't remember a Detroit GP without the TransAms.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 05:13 (Ref:814814)   #18
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Snout
So am I correct in hearing that OWRS now owns Champcars, Atlantics, Trans Am. And Champcars also have Formula BMW coming onboard ? All of a sudden we seem to have a package here.
No, not quite. The Formula BMW thing was a rumour from a a few months ago, I haven't heard anything since, so I don't think anyone knows if Formula BMW will be a regular part of OWRS events.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 05:18 (Ref:814817)   #19
Aircon
Rookie

Aircon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PROCAR in Australia is owned by Ross Palmer and that includes the Nations Cup Championship (sort of NGT), Aust. GT Peformance Championship, V8 Brutes (sort of NASCAR Craftsman Trucks) and the Aust. Production Car Championship as well as including strong ties to the Aust. F3 Championship.

It works well as it is its own circus. They don't need to stuff around with anyone else to put on a show, they do it themsleves!
Old 18 Dec 2003, 06:22 (Ref:814834)   #20
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by jjspierx
No, not quite. The Formula BMW thing was a rumour from a a few months ago, I haven't heard anything since, so I don't think anyone knows if Formula BMW will be a regular part of OWRS events.
jjspierx, here is the conformation that Formula BMW MAY soon be replacing the Barber Dodge Pro Series at the bottom of the CART ladder system.
Quote:
From Yesterday's CART Teleconference
The addition of the Formula BMW class seems to be only a signature away from becoming the bottom rung of the Champ Car ladder, replacing the Barber Dodge Pro Series, and Toyota Atlantic remains unchanged.

Last edited by Dov; 18 Dec 2003 at 06:27.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 10:08 (Ref:814940)   #21
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gaines
And don't forget the MotoRock concerts too!
Old 18 Dec 2003, 11:03 (Ref:814980)   #22
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by camcartfan
And don't forget the MotoRock concerts too!
Please get U2 & Metallica!!! Metallica....."Give me Fuel/Give me Fire/Give me that which I Desire/Oh Yeahhhhhh"!
Old 18 Dec 2003, 11:14 (Ref:814986)   #23
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
jjspierx, here is the conformation that Formula BMW MAY soon be replacing the Barber Dodge Pro Series at the bottom of the CART ladder system.
Yeah, I hadn't heard anything about Formula BMW again until today...but yep, I was wrong, it does seem like it will replace Barber Dodge Pro. I still think its a bad idea to replace a step on the CART ladder by switching from cars the make 265hp, to 135hp. Thats a huge step down.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 11:28 (Ref:814993)   #24
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
I here that this Formula BMW series is supposed to be pretty good!? But I completly agree with you, jjspierx. You were mentioning in another thread about another series (I think Fran-Am) that will have 600 ponys next year? That sounds good to me, but with that much HP, it would have to replace Toyota Atlantics as the final stepping stone to CART!?
Old 18 Dec 2003, 15:56 (Ref:815319)   #25
billiaml
Racer

United States
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA
billiaml should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool! Since I'm a fan of both series, this looks good -- @ first glance, anyway. Has anyone compared schedules to see what %-age of Champ Car Races are supported by Trans Am (rule out the ovals, of course) and vis versa?