Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Sep 2006, 19:46 (Ref:1703682)   #76
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Newey = awesome (thats like the 20th time i have said/written that word in the last day. i just cant stop saying it, its awesome)

but back to the topic. Red Bull must be encouraging this behaviour as it is so their image. or at the very least Newey must have made it clear to his new employeer that this was one of the types of activities he wanted to persue.

did mclaren give him that kind of freedom? apparently the most dangerous thing a woking employee is allowed to do is play tennis
Old 6 Sep 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1703687)   #77
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
...followed by naked wrestling with tigers...
i didnt know red bull sponsored siegfried and roy
Old 6 Sep 2006, 19:50 (Ref:1703688)   #78
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He still raced at McLaren, he must have logically.

Ron doesn't stop his guys having fun as a rule. He once said: "If they hurt themselves and put themselves out of action, they don't get paid."
Old 6 Sep 2006, 20:38 (Ref:1703739)   #79
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
Whats that got to do with my opinion on Neweys skill?
You said he was running second. I quoted somebody (which I personally rate as a higher skilled and far more experienced driver) who saw him racing in that position and questioned his actions that resulted in the crash. In other words, he was running second but was unable to maintain that position.
Old 6 Sep 2006, 22:22 (Ref:1703804)   #80
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
WouterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
No need.
Weak sauce.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 01:31 (Ref:1703874)   #81
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouterM
Weak sauce.
lol

Nope I think Adam summed it up very well.

Also as I said we want to See the cars racing and Sometimes they get damaged.

So don't bash the guy.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 09:37 (Ref:1703942)   #82
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
Quote:
lol

Nope I think Adam summed it up very well.

Also as I said we want to See the cars racing and Sometimes they get damaged.

So don't bash the guy.
There is damage and then there is suicidal destruction. Frankly I don't care if Newey goes about crashing in private, but he should think twice about his style if goes out racing with others on and closely around the track. He is there to put up a show for the spectators as well as enjoy himself. No spectator likes seeing historic cars destroyed, especially if it is the result of incompetence.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 09:47 (Ref:1703950)   #83
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No no-one normally ever likes seeing cars destroyed but this is motorsport, this happens.

I don't see why he is seemingly continually being bashed on here, there are drivers who have a higher ratio of accidents to drives than he does.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 10:35 (Ref:1703982)   #84
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I think the point to remember is that generally only the driver of the car can tell you what happened in an accident - and even then, only from their own perspective.

Give me any accident and 5 people watching from different angles and I'll give you at least 20 different perspectives on what happened. 5 from the spectators, 1 from the driver and another 14 from people who weren't even there.

As far as I can tell, there's no evidence here that this was anything other than a racing incident. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but please don't mistake having an opinion for having all the facts. They're not the same thing.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 10:39 (Ref:1703986)   #85
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
No no-one normally ever likes seeing cars destroyed but this is motorsport, this happens.

I don't see why he is seemingly continually being bashed on here, there are drivers who have a higher ratio of accidents to drives than he does.
He is not the only one, but his high profile makes him an easy subject. I assume few people here know who Carlos Monteverde is, who indeed has a far worse record. Also I don't want to bash Newey at all, but rather his and a few other's driving style. If he was John Do, I'd be on here complaining as well.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 11:47 (Ref:1704037)   #86
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
He is not the only one, but his high profile makes him an easy subject.
Or an easy target?

Quote:
Also I don't want to bash Newey at all, but rather his and a few other's driving style. If he was John Do, I'd be on here complaining as well.
You are bashing him though.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 11:48 (Ref:1704039)   #87
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4
You said he was running second. I quoted somebody (which I personally rate as a higher skilled and far more experienced driver) who saw him racing in that position and questioned his actions that resulted in the crash. In other words, he was running second but was unable to maintain that position.
He was also running second for the first two heats before the one he crashed in. So I think he was able to maintain his position. Mistakes can happen!
Old 7 Sep 2006, 12:36 (Ref:1704092)   #88
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
Quote:
Or an easy target?
Why would I want to target him. Have I missed something here?
Old 7 Sep 2006, 13:26 (Ref:1704153)   #89
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Why would I want to target him. Have I missed something here?
It appears to me that from your posts the main reason he's bad is because he's Newey. As you say he's not as bad as some. So there's more of an issue as to whether this is good for Red Bull than if it is Newey being a hooligan.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 13:31 (Ref:1704159)   #90
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
He was also running second for the first two heats before the one he crashed in. So I think he was able to maintain his position. Mistakes can happen!
Sure and one of the main advantages of mistakes is that you can learn from them...comments from drivers in the Goodwood paddock give the impression that these lessons may have been slightly wasted on him....
Old 7 Sep 2006, 14:15 (Ref:1704183)   #91
WouterM
Racer

Netherlands
Quote:
It appears to me that from your posts the main reason he's bad is because he's Newey. As you say he's not as bad as some. So there's more of an issue as to whether this is good for Red Bull than if it is Newey being a hooligan.
Huh? The reason he is subject of debate is because he destroyed two very original historic racing cars and shows no signs of improving. I could care less about him or his employer, it's his 100% destruction ratio that worries me.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 14:32 (Ref:1704191)   #92
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
100% destruction rate? Disagree there. Other cars he's driven (and I've seen him compete in) he certainly hasn't destroyed.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 14:43 (Ref:1704194)   #93
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
100% destruction rate? Disagree there. Other cars he's driven (and I've seen him compete in) he certainly hasn't destroyed.
Well I have been asking myself the question since when Mr. Newey has been active and with what cars. I first noticed him for the first in the Ford during the Silverstone Classic in 2005. So what else did he drive?
Old 7 Sep 2006, 15:06 (Ref:1704212)   #94
Suze
Veteran

England
Ooooh good question, you've got me there! Last time I saw him compete was at Silverstone at the end of last year, IIRC.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 15:52 (Ref:1704240)   #95
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Ooooh good question, you've got me there! Last time I saw him compete was at Silverstone at the end of last year, IIRC.
Newey's appearence on the scene reminds my of little story written by Godfried Bomans ( a well known Dutch author).
He tells the story how he finally managed to become a member of a most exclusive fishing club (situated in the area near the Zandvoort track, which is one of the wealthiest in the country). For his first outing he decides to buy the most expensive stuff, like a telescopic rod with three extensions and all the other goodies. When he has finalled installed himlekf along the canal and puts his rod into full extension mode he almost reached the other side of the canal.
After 10 minutes he is being politely addressed by the membership secretary: "Maybe it is better, sir, if you begin with a small rod at the other side of the canal"....

Last edited by henk4; 7 Sep 2006 at 16:01.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 16:46 (Ref:1704273)   #96
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My, haven't we made an Everest out of a mole hill here?

For me this is simple. Adrian Newey decided he'd like to race some classic cars, his own cars.

He has the necessary requirements to pursue such an activity. He's a good driver, he has licenses to do it etc...

How this isue can be blown up like this is beyond me. Do crashes not happen in motor racing?

What more is there to say?
Old 7 Sep 2006, 17:06 (Ref:1704298)   #97
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
For me this is simple. Adrian Newey decided he'd like to race some classic cars, his own cars.
but on a track shared with others, should he maybe try his own track as well?
Old 7 Sep 2006, 17:11 (Ref:1704302)   #98
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

No, he will most probably carry on racing with others and be allowed to.

To jump to major conclusions after two accidents is silly.
Old 7 Sep 2006, 17:17 (Ref:1704307)   #99
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't help feeling that not only have we got well away from the reason this thread was posted in the F1 forum but we have moved into an area regarding the driving standards and the crashing of valuable historic race cars, better discussed in the 'Historic Racing Today' forum. Many of the posters on this thread are regular 'historics' posters, so maybe we should move the relevant posts there. However, it does seem that everyone has aired their views and made their points with some conviction and now maybe a good time to stop, before it gets too heated. Motor racing is such a passionate affair isn't it? I, of course, intend to sit firmly on the fence, on this issue!
Old 7 Sep 2006, 17:37 (Ref:1704319)   #100
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
I, of course, intend to sit firmly on the fence, on this issue!
Agreed, but I do hope your fence is not too close to the track where certain drivers may be passing by