Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Jan 2004, 16:02 (Ref:827422)   #1
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Fisichella handed Ferrari test spot"?

While looking around the Teletext website after being guided there by this news about Abramovich, I couldn't help but notice this:

http://www.teletext.com/sport/generi...page=1&ref=274

Obviously the details are very vague, but does this mean that Fisi will now begin to test Ferraris in the same capacity as Massa, and that, with this news of Rubens' contract extension, he has a possible chance of a race seat as TGF's replacement should he retire for '05?
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 4 Jan 2004, 16:21 (Ref:827436)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I read somewhere, were Peter Sauber said that both his drivers (Fisi and Massa) would be testing the Ferrari's to help test the Bridgestones.
Old 4 Jan 2004, 17:08 (Ref:827469)   #3
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
right to help with bridgestone
they are fighting for Seat #2 next to rubens, and why wouldn't ferrari love to have an Italian bring it home for them- seems like a formality really
Old 5 Jan 2004, 00:05 (Ref:827800)   #4
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, not exactly a Ferrari testing contract as the reports deem it to be.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 00:28 (Ref:827823)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would believe that both drivers Massa and Fisi would be fighting for Michael's seat, not Ruben's.

It seems like it's a good deal for both teams. Sauber needs their tyres to improve and suit the car better, and having their drivers test the tyres would help to tune the tyres to the preferences of Fisi/Massa. Afterall, Sauber doesn't have the capacity to test as much otherwise, and the Sauber is very much in common with the Ferrari
Old 5 Jan 2004, 00:48 (Ref:827837)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
and having their drivers test the tyres would help to tune the tyres to the preferences of Fisi/Massa.
But wouldn't that just help to set the preferences to their liking in a Ferrari? I can't see it doing them much good when it comes to the Sauber.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 00:50 (Ref:827839)   #7
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
and why wouldn't ferrari love to have an Italian bring it home for them- seems like a formality really
Actuallt Ferrari have often said they dont want an Italian driving for them.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 11:47 (Ref:828175)   #8
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting. Since Ferrari are now the only "decent" team using Bridgestone tyres, I'd bet that the Japanese company is feeling a little uncomfortable. Looks like they've picked up a couple more test drivers on the cheap.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 11:57 (Ref:828186)   #9
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Fisi ends up in a Ferrari I think I would become a Ferrari/Fisi fan. I feel he deserves a fair chance. He is as good as anyone in F1 that is just about accepted. Now (if this is true) we can see if he is better.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 13:42 (Ref:828326)   #10
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we will give you tyre info and engines if you give us a driver and the use of the wind tunnel - nice deal
Old 5 Jan 2004, 17:51 (Ref:828556)   #11
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The wind tunnel- i wonder how much this will affect ferrari- its not like the car was an brick driving with an anchor in the back.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 18:01 (Ref:828568)   #12
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Actuallt Ferrari have often said they dont want an Italian driving for them.
An oft-repeated truism, yet where is it written?

Ascari, Bandini, Baghetti, Larini, Cappelli, Alboreto?

Maybe it is policy, and yet if Fisi were the best driver available, I'm sure they'd leap.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 18:09 (Ref:828574)   #13
mansellmania
Racer

mansellmania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
The wind tunnel- i wonder how much this will affect ferrari- its not like the car was an brick driving with an anchor in the back.

Seriously i dont think shumi is gonna quit 2005 or 2006 so fisi will only come in if hes faster than rubens imo.

The reason they rather did not have an italian driver is because it would destract the attention away from enzo's own ego.. his cars
Old 5 Jan 2004, 18:28 (Ref:828596)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Continuing to be Off topic. I think the reason for the no-Italian driver policy is down to Enzo's days (and probably hence don't apply now), but not due to his ego. It was more down to not wanting an Italian to die in one of his machines. In the early days the press and even the Vatican took a very dim view of racing (and Ferrari) if a young Italian died in a Ferrari.

As for Fisi. I don't think he will ever get a chance to race a Ferrari F1 car. Which I think is a shame. I don't think it is anything to do him being Italian.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 01:41 (Ref:829050)   #15
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:"But wouldn't that just help to set the preferences to their liking in a Ferrari? I can't see it doing them much good when it comes to the Sauber"

The Sauber will share many parts of the Ferrari. And that tyre manufacturers have pointed out that the requirements of different teams regarding tyres, though existent, is small.

Hence, improving the tyres, even if suited to the Ferrari, would have an improvement on all BS-shod teams. It's similar to Michelin, where the strong form of the tyres helped all the teams, not just those who can afford tyre testings.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 03:21 (Ref:829100)   #16
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Where did the non Italian idea come from? In Enzo's days Baghetti, Bandini, Scarfiotti, Albereto, Alesi (Well close-French Sicilian)Giunti, Reggazoni (Swiss-Italian). Not from Enzo, thats for sure.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 05:19 (Ref:829129)   #17
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It surprises me that Ferrari don't help Sauber more. It can only be benificital to sell virtually any part Sauber wants. Even if Ferrari gave them a copy of the car, Sauber will always be substatantially behind them due to setup. (not that I'm suggesting they do it)

If Sauber had closer performance to Ferrari then they would have further data to compare to.