Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Feb 2024, 06:56 (Ref:4198785)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bahrain Grand Prix 2024: Grand Prix Weekend Thread - Round 1 of 24

It seems to be that growing older (and hopefully in the process wiser) prompts the sense that time passes by faster and faster, so the sense may be linked to that, but it does seem slightly surprising to realise that it has been twenty years since we had the first Bahrain Grand Prix. Looking back at the drivers involved back then and it was clearly a different era and yet for so long, Bahrain somehow felt one of the newer Grands Prix.

All being well, we will finally have our 24-Grand Prix calendar this year. Whether you consider it excessive, perfectly fine or even too meagre, we doubtless have another fantastic season of Formula 1 racing in store – a series that sometimes frustrates us and fascinates us with rules and regulations, such as its application or non-application of penalties, presence of DRS, attempts to provide entertainment, but often does the most seemingly inappropriate thing, or its political wranglings – yet one which has the power to put us on the edge of our seats (and sometimes jump off them), thrill with its wheel-to-wheel action and pit great drivers and teams against each other in a competition of absolute excellence at high-speed.

We will traverse the planet, a wide range of circuits, we will see delight, despair and maybe tears of frustration and joy, and there will probably be several victors or ones who believe they have achieved a great season. Ultimately, there will be one winning driver and one winning constructor, and it is never, ever guaranteed, even if it looks like it is.

Trivia

With 24 World Championship Grands Prix, this is set to be the longest F1 season yet held.

For the first time in the series’ history, all drivers from the last race of the previous season are competing for the same teams in the new one.

It marks the first time since 1951 that no rookies have featured at the start of the season.

However, two teams have changed name, with AlphaTauri becoming RB and Alfa Romeo becoming Kick Sauber.

This is the first time in F1 history that a team has reverted twice to its original name (in part). Sauber became BMW Sauber, became Sauber again, became Alfa Romeo, then became Kick Sauber.

Two teams have changed name the most times – five. After Jordan, this team became MF1, Spyker, Force India, Racing Point and then Aston Martin, while the team that began as Toleman turned into Benetton, Renault, Lotus, Renault again, then Alpine.

By remaining at Mercedes for one more season, Lewis Hamilton starts his twelfth season at a team – one more than Michael Schumacher did for Ferrari between 1996 and 2006.

Fernando Alonso keeps extending his record as the most experienced F1 driver in history – now in his 21st season - although he actually started out 23 years ago, as he has had three seasons out – 2002, 2019 and 2020. He currently has 377 starts from 380 Grands Prix.

11 of the 20 drivers have won at least one Grand Prix. Haas, Williams and McLaren are the only teams to have no Grand Prix-winning driver.

There are 12 drivers’ world championships among the drivers – Alonso, with 2, Verstappen, with 3, and Hamilton, with 7.

115 Grands Prix after his last win in 2013, Kimi Räikkönen took his final victory at the US Grand Prix in 2018. This is the longest stretch of Grands Prix between wins. However, Alonso (who also last took the spoils in 2013), has now gone 181 Grands Prix without a win. If he does it, it will not only be the biggest gap between wins in terms of number of Grands Prix, but also in terms of time.

As constructors, Ferrari have the most wins, with 243, followed by McLaren, on 183, Mercedes, with 125, and Williams, with 114. Red Bull are closing in, with 113.

The track

Other information

Circuit length: 5.412km
Number of laps: 57
Race distance: 308.238km
Race Lap Record: 1:31.447 (Pedro de la Rosa - McLaren-Mercedes - 2005)
Dry weather tyre compounds: C1, C2 & C3
First Bahrain Grand Prix: 2004

Get those entries in for the Predictions Contest before qualifying on Friday: https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158622

And get those team entries in for Fantasy F1 before FP1 today: https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158615
Old 29 Feb 2024, 07:22 (Ref:4198788)   #2
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great intro BR .... thanks for your time and effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post

Fernando Alonso keeps extending his record as the most experienced F1 driver in history – now in his 21st season - although he actually started out 23 years ago, as he has had three seasons out – 2002, 2019 and 2020. He currently has 377 starts from 380 Grands Prix.
As an aside Fernando is the only driver on the grid this weekend who was there racing at the very first Bahrain GP. This will be his 18th Bahrain GP in which he has had 3 wins, 1 Pole, I F/L, and 4 Podiums
Bahrain 2004 was his 36th career GP.
Old 29 Feb 2024, 09:52 (Ref:4198804)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wonderful! Do keep those stats and facts coming. I love them, although I don't know at all as many of them as I used to.
Old 29 Feb 2024, 11:31 (Ref:4198877)   #4
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Go, go, go!
Old 29 Feb 2024, 12:49 (Ref:4198885)   #5
PanozDP01
Rookie

PanozDP01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari struggling more than I expected. McLaren stronger than testing suggested. Alpine isn't as slow as testing suggested.

Riccardo in the RB19 looks like the most balanced car on the grid
Old 29 Feb 2024, 13:12 (Ref:4198889)   #6
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
First free practice is rarely indicative of true pace, what with Verstappen down in 6th or 7th.
Old 29 Feb 2024, 14:49 (Ref:4198901)   #7
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am very much looking forward to this first race. I do hope that the season is not a Max romp. Even if I predict that in the time capsule thread.

Richard
Old 29 Feb 2024, 15:21 (Ref:4198906)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
we're back baby! thanks for the intro BR, my official start to the 2024 season!
Old 29 Feb 2024, 15:56 (Ref:4198913)   #9
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Great intro BR - thank you - the BR intro for the first GP is THE key indicator that the new season is real!

Interesting practice sessions so far, quite topsy-turvy and no clear pattern. Qualifying and the race likely to be "must watch" viewing.
Old 29 Feb 2024, 16:22 (Ref:4198918)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Merc on top after FP2, Red Bull sandbagging?
Old 29 Feb 2024, 16:26 (Ref:4198920)   #11
Plantagenet
Rookie

United Kingdom
Plantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any ideas why the practice sessions were so topsy-turvy? Given they get such little track testing in advance of the race, I would have thought they would be running lots of hot laps and race-sims to fine-tune running for quali (i.e. the times should be indicative of true pace). Yet I know Lando won't be 2 secs off the pace (as he was in FP2) so clearly I'm wrong. Will FP3 be a better guide do we think, or will we have to wait to quali proper?
Old 29 Feb 2024, 16:32 (Ref:4198923)   #12
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Excellent intro as ever.

I'm looking forward to this season, despite the 24 race schedule and looking forward to qualifying tomorrow, as I've yet to see the cars out on the track.
Old 29 Feb 2024, 16:38 (Ref:4198924)   #13
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantagenet View Post
Any ideas why the practice sessions were so topsy-turvy? Given they get such little track testing in advance of the race, I would have thought they would be running lots of hot laps and race-sims to fine-tune running for quali (i.e. the times should be indicative of true pace). Yet I know Lando won't be 2 secs off the pace (as he was in FP2) so clearly I'm wrong. Will FP3 be a better guide do we think, or will we have to wait to quali proper?
my guess would be no engine restrictions during testing but now that the season has started there now is?
Old 29 Feb 2024, 16:47 (Ref:4198925)   #14
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
my guess would be no engine restrictions during testing but now that the season has started there now is?

Given how time limited F1 testing is nowadays, I don't think that the teams can afford to waste time in running their cars in anything other than normal race trim. Of course they will experiment with different bits and pieces that meet the technical regulations, however I really don't believe that they would turn up the wick as they used to do in the past.
Old 29 Feb 2024, 17:13 (Ref:4198933)   #15
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantagenet View Post
I think teams broadly use each session differently. FP1 for initial setup, maybe some parts testing. FP2 for checking long run pace and FP3 for qualification simulations. And even then, some teams may choose to show more or less of their ultimate pace as they approach qualification. In short, I think things like who has fastest laps in any session (expect maybe FP3) is something to not get overly wound up over. There are people who are good at looking at session data (lap and sector times, trap speeds, etc.) in total to make specific conclusions. Such as... what might long run pace look like, or what is tire degradation looking like on a longer run, etc. I am sure others here have a better view on this than myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
I need to look at the PU regulations, but I "think" the engine allocation for the year includes testing and shakedown usage. In short, its not like you can burn up a PU during testing and then start fresh in the first race? But this may also mean that teams are running less than full power for much of testing?

Richard
Old 29 Feb 2024, 17:53 (Ref:4198938)   #16
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I would've thought that teams running with the engines turned slightly down would give fairly representative data on cornering performance and overall balance without showing their hand, and while also conserving the engine, of course.

However, running certain fuel loads just to deceive seems highly improbable, as it would also give unrepresentative tyre wear data for everything they're trying to test, but I am not an engineer, so defer to anyone's superior knowledge on this.

Still, if there's a place to sandbag, Bahrain seems like a great place to find some and hide it in the sidepods.
Old 29 Feb 2024, 18:11 (Ref:4198941)   #17
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Why is the race on a Saturday rather than a Sunday?
Old 29 Feb 2024, 18:17 (Ref:4198942)   #18
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post

It is because of Ramadan which meant that the Saudi race, next weekend, is also taking place on Saturday and the FIA rules stipulate that there has to be a 7 day gap between races.
Old 29 Feb 2024, 18:18 (Ref:4198943)   #19
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I would've thought that teams running with the engines turned slightly down would give fairly representative data on cornering performance and overall balance without showing their hand, and while also conserving the engine, of course.

However, running certain fuel loads just to deceive seems highly improbable, as it would also give unrepresentative tyre wear data for everything they're trying to test, but I am not an engineer, so defer to anyone's superior knowledge on this.

Still, if there's a place to sandbag, Bahrain seems like a great place to find some and hide it in the sidepods.
I agree that they can turn down the engines and likely get a good enough understanding as to the car's performance. And as you say, this helps with engine longevity. I think they have four power units this season. They were trying to do three, but with the larger calendar it is four.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I think it has to do with minimum time between races. With the Saudi race also on Saturday next weekend. I guess the next question is why is the Saudi race on Saturday? (Edit Mike answered already)

Richard
Old 29 Feb 2024, 18:24 (Ref:4198947)   #20
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
I think it has to do with minimum time between races. With the Saudi race also on Saturday next weekend. I guess the next question is why is the Saudi race on Saturday? (Edit Mike answered already)

Richard

I must admit that I can't be arsed to trawl through the FIA's rules, but I wonder whether they had to amend the rules to permit the sprint races to take place the day before the main event?
Old 29 Feb 2024, 18:30 (Ref:4198949)   #21
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I must admit that I can't be arsed to trawl through the FIA's rules, but I wonder whether they had to amend the rules to permit the sprint races to take place the day before the main event?
That's a good question. I can imagine patching in the sprint races into the weekend required various regulation changes including definitions of what is a "race" or not?

Richard
Old 29 Feb 2024, 20:31 (Ref:4198969)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
It is because of Ramadan which meant that the Saudi race, next weekend, is also taking place on Saturday and the FIA rules stipulate that there has to be a 7 day gap between races.
Ahh thanks for the clarification.
Old 29 Feb 2024, 22:32 (Ref:4198987)   #23
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The first Sprint race this year is China so well into the season before sprints happen.

The others are Miami, Austria, Austin, Brazil, Qatar.
Old 1 Mar 2024, 02:03 (Ref:4199007)   #24
PanozDP01
Rookie

After testing, FP1 and FP2, the pecking order is still basically a mystery.
Old 1 Mar 2024, 03:28 (Ref:4199013)   #25
PanozDP01
Rookie

The Mercedes cars in FP2 were both sparking like mad and running way lower to the ground than the Red Bulls or any other car on the track. This track has some bumps. It will interesting to see if Merc can run like this and still have a legal skid block.