Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 13 Apr 2002, 23:27 (Ref:259394)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
SpeedVision's coverage

This coverage by SpeedVison/FOX is sensational. I don't mean to touch a nerve with those of you who are not getting any TV coverage at all, but I'm just thrilled with what I've seen so far. They are obviously putting alot more time and effort, to say nothing of brainstorming, into their broadcasts. They toured the LB circuit with Tracy on bicycles, they put a cameraman right on the wall in the hairpin, lots of features and impromtu interviews during qualifying...

But the most amazing thing is this new "helmet-cam" that they have placed behind Tracy's visor. This is easily the most authentic viewpoint possible. Not only does the camera turn as Tracy's head turns, but it graphically displays just how hard the driver has to work. You can plainly see just how bumpy these street circuits really are. And it shows exactly what the driver is seeing. I remember, several years ago, having the opportunity to sit in a car at the Detroit GP. I quickly decided that I wasn't born with ballz big enough to drive one of these things. I felt like my feet were dangling out in "no-man's land", and the only things apart from the mirrors that I could see were the steering wheel and the very tops of the front tires. I had no idea where the front wings were. And I am reminded of this feeling while watching this new camera.

To make a short story long, I am totally impressed by this new North American television package. If only they had dumped ABC years ago!
Old 14 Apr 2002, 02:34 (Ref:259513)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man, that gave me a totally new appreciation for how skilled and daring these drivers are! And the Derek Daly leaning over the wall as the cars drove by in qualifying... _This_ is what CART's needed since it's inception! ABC/ESPN would _never_ have gone this far, and certainly not with this much style.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 14:23 (Ref:260011)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ditto -- I have my doubts about Derek Daly, but the whole look of the coverage is amazingly good. I liked the bicycle tour of the circuit. I hope they do that for other circuits as well -- you get such a different view of the track when you are actually on it, than you do when you are sitting above it. For instance, we're allowed to walk the track at Mosport and you'd never know there are so many elevation changes from watching it on TV.

I bet You Know Who is grinding his molars and weeping into his hanky right now.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 17:42 (Ref:260237)   #4
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Derek Daly for his enthusiasm alone, he seems like a kid in a candy store. What I found particularly refreshing was seeing how so many drivers came and congratulated Vasser after he got Pole. One thing I would like to see is live timing on each drivers laps, with such a tight battle for Pole watching the clock and your favorite driver squueze the trigger would be great. As for Paul Tracy's helmet-cam, Phenomenol!!! I hope we see some shots from this view during the race. They couldn't have picked a better driver to give this camera to.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 15 Apr 2002, 02:35 (Ref:260595)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing I sincerely hope changes when they hit Motegi is that Bob Varsha will stop trying to explain every driver's career history to the audience. I understand with the first CART race of what's arguably a new era in Monterey, it was justified, and with today's race being the first CART race on broadcast in frikking forever (save for the pre-IRL Indy 500), it was also justified.... But now, I _really_ hope it stops. I think it's more important to hear analysis of driving styles and pit strategies than to find out when Kenny Brack took his first pole.

I really wish we could have more road courses, though... I don't think this race would've been nearly as interesting without the helmet cam, Andretti and Vasser atop the podium, and the fact that most of us had already seen the parade around Imola and were desperate for some real racing!

9 temporary or semi-permanent circuits is just a bit much, especially compared to only 5 proper road courses on the schedule. CART should at least move the Molson Indy Toronto to Mosport!
Old 15 Apr 2002, 02:41 (Ref:260598)   #6
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know why but I really DON'T like that new camera shot they have from inside Paul Tracy's helmet. I much prefer the standard onboard camara from inside the cockpit.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; 15 Apr 2002 at 02:42.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 03:08 (Ref:260615)   #7
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK.... I'll say it...

It's FAR better than F1 coverage. World feed....blah !
Old 15 Apr 2002, 03:10 (Ref:260617)   #8
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was a shame that the image kept on breaking up after only a few seconds, as it was really a unique view wasn't it? As Macdaddy mentioned, it really did give a visceral view of the pounding that the drivers are subject to in a way that other cameras have never shown.

As an aside, over the last few years with the improvements of camera placements and coverage, I have often thought and hoped that the directors controlling which cameras are "on" are always extremely vigilent in both reaction time, as well as common decency in getting cameras off-line in the event of any serious accidents.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 04:15 (Ref:260646)   #9
Knottsfreak
Rookie

Knottsfreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reason for the breaking up of Tracy's helmet cam was due to the fact that the helicopter couldn't get high enough, due to the low ceiling, or in lanemans terms, it was really cloudy. I was at the Grand Prix and taped all the coverage, and I was very impressed. I just loved how Derek Daly went to the Auto Club Hairpin (Turn 11), and was just a few inches from the car. He was very enthuisastic. And poor Kendel was walking around in a leash in the garage, never lauged so hard in my life! Kudos to Speed Channel and FOX for the great coverage!!