Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jan 2004, 20:55 (Ref:841824)   #1
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Formula 1 Celebrity Grand Prix"

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns12374.html

Sounds like Stoddy's idea of guest-celebrity races with 2 seater F1 cars is going to happen on Friday mornings. Thoughts?
Old 17 Jan 2004, 21:09 (Ref:841839)   #2
oblivion
Rookie

oblivion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a stupid concept. If anything, they should let real fans in there, not "celebrities"!
Old 17 Jan 2004, 21:19 (Ref:841847)   #3
fiona
Racer

Scotland
west lothian
fiona should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i like the idea of it but not the celebs getting a shot
Old 17 Jan 2004, 21:20 (Ref:841851)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know... the celebrity race at the Long Beach Grand Prix is always a hit - why don't they have the celebs race other cars instead of just plucking them into the back seats of other drivers? They all take brief training courses beforehand, but the ontrack action is quite comical nevertheless. I think they raced modified Volkswagon beetles in Long Beach... perhaps they could do something similar?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 17 Jan 2004, 21:33 (Ref:841860)   #5
DaveOrama
Rookie

DaveOrama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The celbrity races at the Melbourne GP are also popular as well (I was goig to say a "big hit" - because generally they are). These races are also in MG's, BMW z3's, etc so smashing them is not that expensive in compraison.
Usually there is also a competition winner from the public in the race as well.
Real fans - I'm sure I'd have the same marketing pull in one of Paul's cars as Kylie Minogue........
Old 17 Jan 2004, 21:45 (Ref:841872)   #6
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it should be how Minardi do/did it at their "Thunder" events - some celebs to get people interested, and some prize winners and/or people who have bid for the ride for charity.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 22:31 (Ref:841902)   #7
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BINI COOPERS in MEL

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveOrama
The celbrity races at the Melbourne GP are also popular as well (I was goig to say a "big hit" - because generally they are). These races are also in MG's, BMW z3's, etc so smashing them is not that expensive in compraison.
Usually there is also a competition winner from the public in the race as well.
Real fans - I'm sure I'd have the same marketing pull in one of Paul's cars as Kylie Minogue........
I thought Elle McPherson in a BMW a few years back at an Adelaide GP was well worth watching!!

However, last year one model (Sarah O'Hare???) managed to deploy all 6 airbags in a big shunt. Cars were prepared by John Cooper MINI Garage in UK and I have often wondered why they didn't remove the or disable the bags. Protection for the precious cargo I suppose.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 22:58 (Ref:841926)   #8
Nina
Racer

Nina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever they decide, I think its a good idea....

The world is going celebrity crazy... and maybe thats why I would resent the fact that celebs who are just there to get the pic in the paper get this chance of a lifetime... however, it also measn that there will be a lot of exposure not just to F1 fans but the rest of the world who are not 'full time' supporters of this sport

Whatever the reason behind it.... I couldnt find a reason to disagree....
Old 18 Jan 2004, 00:01 (Ref:841963)   #9
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*Post deleted*

The new rule includes swipes at Villenueve

Wrex
Old 18 Jan 2004, 00:19 (Ref:841973)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Does Stoddart own 10 Minardi 2 seater cars??
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 18 Jan 2004, 00:24 (Ref:841976)   #11
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I think its a great idea.

The celeb races (even run in road cars) is a great laugh, and always guarantees some action. Alot of them are just plain useless.

As for passenger rides, it would be great if some fans were involved and some of the rides auctioned for charity sounds like a great idea.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 00:37 (Ref:841989)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is this how Bernie was going to contribute to the Minardi fighting fund, by renting the 2 seaters at some phenomenal rate of$$??
Old 18 Jan 2004, 03:50 (Ref:842058)   #13
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems like an interesting idea to me & also a good way for Stoddard to make a few extra quid by leasing his two seaters to other teams.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 12:39 (Ref:842312)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Could be a good event for the fans, adn it would make a good support for the F1, and a way for Paul to make extra funds for the team. The publicity could be quite wide outside F1 as well if big name can be enticed to compete.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 09:18 (Ref:843074)   #15
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by fiona
i like the idea of it but not the celebs getting a shot
i like the idea of celebrities getting shot!

but why should they get a ride just to increse their profile, hardcore fans (like me) should be there.

Last edited by Smokey 6 litre; 19 Jan 2004 at 09:22.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 10:53 (Ref:843127)   #16
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Replace celeb races with something more worthwhile like a search for a new star concept based on one-make racing for a group of young drivers with REAL potential. Most of these celeb races stink of made-for-TV, rip-tear-bust nonsense that provide little more than vicarious demo derby entertainment through thrill-killing of otherwise high quality engineering being abused far worse than ever imagined.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 19 Jan 2004, 11:18 (Ref:843143)   #17
elf Tyrrell
Rookie

elf Tyrrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: BINI COOPERS in MEL

Quote:
Originally posted by 275 GTB-4

However, last year one model (Sarah O'Hare???) managed to deploy all 6 airbags in a big shunt. Cars were prepared by John Cooper MINI Garage in UK and I have often wondered why they didn't remove the or disable the bags. Protection for the precious cargo I suppose.
Actually they had Grace someone in it last year and she was the one who crashed and broke her pelvis, maybe thats why they want them only as passengers
Old 19 Jan 2004, 21:56 (Ref:843206)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
As long as they dont end up like that page 3 gal that passed out during the ride
Old 19 Jan 2004, 21:58 (Ref:843210)   #19
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
THe long beach grand prix is usually done with toyota celicas but i dpn't know anymore because otoyota moved to IRL. I think they should do a mix of celebrities and people who give money to charity, along with regular fans who enter contests and such.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 22:14 (Ref:843227)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Give every race ticket a number which gives you the chance to be in the back seat and that would give it real value - it could be you, rather than some talentless face of the moment. Maybe reserve one seat for a volunteer official as well.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 04:49 (Ref:843557)   #21
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
Give every race ticket a number which gives you the chance to be in the back seat and that would give it real value - it could be you, rather than some talentless face of the moment. Maybe reserve one seat for a volunteer official as well.
HEAR, HEAR !!!!

I havent heard of half the "celebrities" they put in...
Old 20 Jan 2004, 05:07 (Ref:843566)   #22
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea about putting officials in the car...however I don't honestly think everyone would want to ride in an F1 car or much less fit so just giving everybody an equal chance wouldn't be a great solution...maybe get an entrance raffle ticket with a small donation to some charity. And why not do it sunday morning before the race? use the test drivers that are already there for friday's
Old 20 Jan 2004, 14:20 (Ref:844090)   #23
Pit_Lane_Babe
Rookie

Pit_Lane_Babe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not sure if I like this idea or even the fact that it is fair.
Half of these celebs would not know the difference between a tyre and a front wing! It will only be used to get them in the lime light for the next issue of Hello or OK! mag.
Now, if it was for TRUE racing fans then I would be all for it.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 15:01 (Ref:844124)   #24
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
If we allowed allll the TRUE racing fans to be there it would be more of a traffic jam than a race...

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 18:12 (Ref:844335)   #25
Nina
Racer

Nina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would it be as much of a spectacle for the people watching if you just had joe public in the cars?!!