Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 18 Apr 2008, 07:31 (Ref:2180419)   #1
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Small Capacity Turbo/ Supercharged cars in "Tin Tops"?

I'm talking about the CSCC "Tin Tops" series here. The mini-enduro series for saloons/ hatchbacks up to 2 litres - 30 min practices and 40 min races for one or two drivers with a compulsory pit stop. See here for details:http://www.classicsportscarclub.co.uk/Tin%20Tops.html

Anyway, up to now the series has not allowed Turbo/ Supercharged cars to compete but they are willing to allow in to the Invitation Class if there is enough interest.

I am not talking about Sierra Cosworths or Mitsubaru Evo 27 Turbo nutter cars but small capacity hot hatch/ saloons such as the MG Metro Turbo, Fiats Uno and Punto Turbos, Renault 5 GT Turbo and the VW Polo G40.

The specific model must be have been available as proper road cars (ie you couldn't buy a Honda CRX and bolt on an aftermarket turbo).

I know that there are one or two eligible cars (including Rowan Atkinson's old Renault 5 GT Turbo!) that are for sale and might come out to play. Maybe one or two of the Super Coupe cars could be tempted out??

If the idea is a success then the cars will probably be incorporated in to the main class structure for next year.

This is a great value competitor focused series with good competition throughout the class structure. Entry fees are good (eg £270 at Snetterton & £295 at Brands for 70 mins track time) and competitors usually get allocated Pit Garages and the scrutineers come to you!!!

Anyone interested should contact the club for details.

Last edited by andy97; 18 Apr 2008 at 07:36.
Old 30 Apr 2008, 09:06 (Ref:2190900)   #2
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy,
How small capacity ? Would a Rover 220 Turbo Coupe be eligable ? Not a Tomcat series racer, but an ex road car with a cage and a few minor mods.
Capacity is about 1994 cc.

Thanks
Alan
Old 30 Apr 2008, 09:41 (Ref:2190931)   #3
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
alan looking at the cars andy listed i'd say upto 1300 or 1400cc,

i cant see a 2.0 counting as small capacity!!

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 30 Apr 2008, 09:54 (Ref:2190938)   #4
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan, I don't think that a Rover 220 Turbo would fit in CSCC "Tin Tops" - the proposal is for original turbo charged cars up to about 1400 cc, I think. Your car would fit very well in "Future Classics", though. A similar "mini-enduro" series; have a look here:
http://www.classicsportscarclub.co.u...reClassics.htm
Your car would fit in to Class D (cars up to 3 litres - turbo charged jut go into a class one up from their nominal capacity), where it would compete against 2 or 3 Porsche 944s (2500c and 3000cc), a BMW M3, an Alfa Romeo GTV6 and a Rover Tomcat. I am sure that your car would be very competitive.

The results from the recent Brands Hatch Indy circuit race are here:
http://www.tsl-timing.com/cscc/2008/81764.pdf

and the Snetterton race is here:
http://www.tsl-timing.com/cscc/2008/81464.pdf
This gives you an idea of the grid and the relative lap times.

Bear in mind that some of the participants were the reserves from the "Swinging Sixties" race but the CSCC is comitted to developing the "Future Classics" series (and the "Tin Tops" series) for the next few years.
Old 30 Apr 2008, 13:00 (Ref:2191047)   #5
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
MMM,
Looks interesting- looking at the times for Brands, the Rover should be in the middle of the pack somewhere - running on 1A tyres, and standard boost.
Graham, don't worry - I'm not deserting the BARC TinTops series, just thought It might be nice to do some extra races where I could share the car with my brother. - he's only got a National B licence, and can't do any of the RCN rounds this year. Mind you -I've only got two planned Spa in June, and the Ring in August - can't afford to do too many foreign jaunts !

Alan
Old 30 Apr 2008, 18:33 (Ref:2191293)   #6
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan. Not sure about times/track conditions for FC but for Tin Tops I just about broke into the high 61s and picked up 3rd overall on a wet/damp/wet/damp/wet/damp/drying track. So lap times may/may not be a good indicator of race pace.
Old 30 Apr 2008, 21:51 (Ref:2191419)   #7
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera
Alan. Not sure about times/track conditions for FC but for Tin Tops I just about broke into the high 61s and picked up 3rd overall on a wet/damp/wet/damp/wet/damp/drying track. So lap times may/may not be a good indicator of race pace.
Gary,
I was comparing against my times last november at brands - disgusting in the morning, and drying out a bit through the day. Once I've sorted the boost out properly, there should be another 35-40 reliable bhp ( can't go too silly ) and the car was on ****e 1A tyres (which it still is) - may be running slicks for Spa though !

Alan
Old 1 May 2008, 05:08 (Ref:2191559)   #8
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
The track was dry by the time the FCs raced.