there always something...

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2009/...comes-trouble/
Old 30 Aug 2009, 16:10 (Ref:2531151)   #2
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I wondered when someone was going to pick up on this.

Potentially it's a huge story and when it comes, albeit second-hand, from someone as reputable as Joe Saward you can't ignore it.

I remember there were mutterings at the time that Piquet's crash was mighty convenient for Alonso and Bononi recently hinted somewhere that major revelations were soon to come out of Brazil. Presumably this is what he meant.

Personally I hope the story is found to be untrue.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 16:13 (Ref:2531152)   #3
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
FIA monitor all the radio transmissions so surely there is no way they could have pulled it off without the FIA knowing. Also the circumstances were so flukey that i doubt it could have been pre-planned.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 16:18 (Ref:2531154)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78195

Ooh! they're for it now!

At least we had one race without politics....boring though it was.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 16:20 (Ref:2531155)   #5
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
FIA monitor all the radio transmissions so surely there is no way they could have pulled it off without the FIA knowing. Also the circumstances were so flukey that i doubt it could have been pre-planned.
The radio traffic has only been open this year. So it's quite possible that this is true. I don't think the FIA would investigate it if the evidence wasn't significant
Old 30 Aug 2009, 16:26 (Ref:2531160)   #6
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely this can't be true... I really hope this is just a few slight irregularities prompting an investigation rather than a deliberate attempt to decieve by Renault. Because if this is true... surely that counts as race fixing? I'm struggling to think of anything more likely to get you fined millions of pounds and thrown out of a championship.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 16:26 (Ref:2531161)   #7
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Watch them strip Hamilton's title....based on the fact that Massa "would've" won for sure.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 16:27 (Ref:2531162)   #8
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can open, worms everywhere!

There might not be any radio traffic telling Piquet to spin, it could of been decided verbally before the start of the race.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 16:29 (Ref:2531166)   #9
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I remember that one very clearly. Was a possibility I considered when seeing the crash.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 16:30 (Ref:2531170)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
I'm struggling to think of anything more likely to get you fined millions of pounds and thrown out of a championship.
You could pinch someone elses data for a start. I believe it's been done before.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 16:31 (Ref:2531172)   #11
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
The radio traffic has only been open this year. So it's quite possible that this is true. I don't think the FIA would investigate it if the evidence wasn't significant
But still could they have predicted Ferrari's massive brain fade in the pits, without which Massa would have won regardless.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 16:32 (Ref:2531174)   #12
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They could have told him to crash, but given his record in F1 he probably wouldn't have had the ability to crash on purpose. Seems like a parting shot from him, as it is the only thing he may be remembered for.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 16:33 (Ref:2531176)   #13
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But still could they have predicted Ferrari's massive brain fade in the pits, without which Massa would have won regardless.
Ah yes but maybe Alonso could've got second? Second would have been less conspicuous than first! So it would still be a possibility...

Quote:
You could pinch someone elses data for a start. I believe it's been done before.
Hehe true! Although this would be even worse I think!! *shock*
Old 30 Aug 2009, 16:34 (Ref:2531177)   #14
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I really don't doubt that this sort of skullduggery goes on. Whether it's true in this case we can only wait and see.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 16:37 (Ref:2531179)   #15
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't want to jump on a conspiracy theory but I can't help feeling that this might explain just why Flav put up with the little squirt for so long
Old 30 Aug 2009, 16:41 (Ref:2531183)   #16
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
I don't want to jump on a conspiracy theory but I can't help feeling that this might explain just why Flav put up with the little squirt for so long
It may also explain why the normally fiery Briatore has been so far reluctant to respond to Piquet's public criticisms.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2531192)   #17
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Would he? Lewis was behind him on the road and got 3rd. I think Alonso would've won anyway - he was the pace-setter all weekend and he was in the lead from that

I don't know what the FIA can do here, though. They may ban Renault from some races this season but regarding last year, I don't know what they can do. Tyrrell were disqualified retrospectively in 84 but they had an illegal car. Maybe Alonso will be kicked out of the race with Rosberg taking the win, or maybe they'll lose their prize money or something like that
Old 30 Aug 2009, 17:23 (Ref:2531230)   #18
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I think the FIA will force Renault to drop Piquet.

Oh, hang on, they've done that already.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 17:30 (Ref:2531239)   #19
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
I don't know what they can do. Tyrrell were disqualified retrospectively in 84 but they had an illegal car.
Tyrrell were actually racing under appeal having been found to be cheating in Detroit, allegedly. They then were banned retrospectively. To be fair in hindsight it was the turbo teams and the FIA getting back at Uncle Ken.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 17:34 (Ref:2531242)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
What a load of
Old 30 Aug 2009, 17:36 (Ref:2531245)   #21
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is exactly what you get with the artificial 'spice ups' of the racing. They create a loophole, or (if untrue) this kind of conspiracies.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 17:42 (Ref:2531250)   #22
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The question is getting the evidence, of course they could always do a Nixon and "accidentally" wipe the tapes.

EDIT : The SC is not simply a spiceup (it can be used as a spiceup if it is over-used, but IIRC that incident was more than one that could be sensibly mopped up under local yellows - that's why they deployed it). The only real alternative is a red flag. Super Local Yellows or whatever wouldn't work as they don't bunch the cars up for picking up debris.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 18:11 (Ref:2531273)   #23
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Right, well...

As a cynic, I remember thinking this could have been the case when I saw it. Alonso was on an odd strategy which only had a chance if their was an early safety car, and low and behold he got one.

It's not likely to have been implemented on the radio at least in any decipherable way, it won't be written down and signed between Flavio & Nelson - it'd have been agreed verbally only.

It's no surprise that Nelson Piquet's only just been let go by the team that this has surfaced.

In essence though - it's reasonably provable. The FIA will dig out the data recorder and try and work out if Nelson made a ridiculous move that plonked him into the wall. It will be very difficult to determine if this was a true move or general driver error - it's not as though Piquet is Michael Schumacher (Monaco 2006).

IF found guilty I doubt they'd re-order last year's championship - it's too late now, and worthless an action.

It's almost not worth excluding them from this year's championship either, as they're so far down and if Force India hold up this performance they're going to end up second to last ahead of Toro Rosso anyway.

I'd expect a massive fine - and I suppose an exclusion will accompany it regardless.

If found not guilty, and Piquet (if the whistleblower) is found to be just mouthing off - he'll probably lose his superlicence.

They may disqualify Renault from this year's -
Old 30 Aug 2009, 18:11 (Ref:2531274)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I remember there were mutterings at the time that Piquet's crash was mighty convenient for Alonso and Bononi recently hinted somewhere that major revelations were soon to come out of Brazil. Presumably this is what he meant.
Yeah, that's it... The TV commentators were all over it, mentioning that Piquet Snr has strangely decided to be at the races this year while he kept saying to them privately that he hated to be there - but - there was "something" going on... They also noted that Piquet was watching the TV and should respond against to the claims of Nelsinho being instructed to "crash" in a premeditated action to give Alonso he chance to win, but he didn't send any reply.
Old 30 Aug 2009, 18:14 (Ref:2531277)   #25
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Flav? Squirt? Ask Naomi. Piquet...called Team tactics and it worked...