Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Jan 2017, 14:32 (Ref:3702351)   #376
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Going to look a little like the Ginetta I think?

Always great to see a new car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 Jan 2017, 18:08 (Ref:3702387)   #377
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Ian James just possibly accidentally announced the Panoz GT4 for PWC in 2017.

Starts testing next month, Racing in march.

Tight timeline

Super tight timeline, but i guess they think the base car is good enough that the mods to make it a gt4 are straightforward. tight testing schedule for sure.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 18:52 (Ref:3702400)   #378
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Going to look a little like the Ginetta I think?

Always great to see a new car!

The Ginetta has always reminded me of the old Panoz Esperante GT2 car, although maybe that's just the LNT connection.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 10:21 (Ref:3702500)   #379
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So, the new factory BMW GT4 just finished ahead of every GT4 car in the Dubai 24hrs (although it was in the SPX class as it's not homologated yet)

Not a bad run for a debut

Old 14 Jan 2017, 18:42 (Ref:3702576)   #380
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Already posted this on the PWC thread, but Dagys told someone on Twitter that the Camaro GT4 is likely to debut at St. Petersburg with Blackdog Speedshop:
https://twitter.com/johndagys/status/820109729154342912
Old 15 Jan 2017, 13:59 (Ref:3702718)   #381
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
Already posted this on the PWC thread, but Dagys told someone on Twitter that the Camaro GT4 is likely to debut at St. Petersburg with Blackdog Speedshop:
https://twitter.com/johndagys/status/820109729154342912
Good spot, hope the part about Stevenson is true too, would be great to have a resumption of the Mustang v Camaro in CTSCC. Here's hoping GM actually intended to offer them to customers this time...
Old 27 Jan 2017, 17:41 (Ref:3705612)   #382
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two McLaren 570S GT4s confirmed for the GT4 European Series.

Las Moras Racing Team / Equipe Verschuur will run the cars, third car not ruled out yet.
Old 29 Jan 2017, 11:23 (Ref:3706843)   #383
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I'm guessing the Cobra GT4 that DSC mentioned might be shown at Autosport Show never surfaced?
Old 30 Jan 2017, 15:11 (Ref:3707804)   #384
Mitchi_S
Racer

Germany
LG
Mitchi_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel ten Caat View Post
Two McLaren 570S GT4s confirmed for the GT4 European Series.

Las Moras Racing Team / Equipe Verschuur will run the cars, third car not ruled out yet.
I still can't believe that a carbon monocoque twin turbo v8 can be considered a GT4 car... even if it's probably held back from its abilities by quite a lot
Old 30 Jan 2017, 17:53 (Ref:3707841)   #385
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
I'm guessing the Cobra GT4 that DSC mentioned might be shown at Autosport Show never surfaced?
It's parked next to the GTE and GT3 versions of that car......as a render on someone's HDD.
Old 30 Jan 2017, 18:03 (Ref:3707845)   #386
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Quote:
It's parked next to the GTE and GT3 versions of that car......as a render on someone's HDD.
Thought it might be. Well, a Panoz, Camaro, Mustang, SLS, M3 and R8 this year will make a fair impact in the market.....
Old 30 Jan 2017, 18:16 (Ref:3707848)   #387
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Quote:
Thought it might be. Well, a Panoz, Camaro, Mustang, SLS, M3 and R8 this year will make a fair impact in the market.....
Question is how many of those cars will be ready, homologated and available on the market ;-)
Old 30 Jan 2017, 18:18 (Ref:3707851)   #388
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Quote:
Question is how many of those cars will be ready, homologated and available on the market ;-)
Ha, I'm guessing three, maybe four. But as long as I get to watch them racing, what do I care? I would love GM to actually try embracing customer racing for once, but I guess it's just as likely in this instance as it usually is.

Marcel; any truth you think to rumblings that the German GT4 binge precludes a GT3 ban at the 'Ring?
Old 30 Jan 2017, 18:24 (Ref:3707853)   #389
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Ha, I'm guessing three, maybe four. But as long as I get to watch them racing, what do I care? I would love GM to actually try embracing customer racing for once, but I guess it's just as likely in this instance as it usually is.

Marcel; any truth you think to rumblings that the German GT4 binge precludes a GT3 ban at the 'Ring?
If they wanted to make GT4 the top class at the Ring a heck of a lot more cars would have to go than just the GT3s. That would also kill SP7 and the Porsche Cup class. Altogether that would probably mean that teams are looking at replacing 50 or 60 cars - I can't see that being done on a whim. Unless their hand was being forced, VLN would have to announce something like this two years in advance to give their customers (the teams!) a chance to prepare for the change over and get some mileage out of their old cars before they become obsolete.

If it were to happen, then not before 2019.
Old 30 Jan 2017, 18:25 (Ref:3707855)   #390
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
If they wanted to make GT4 the top class at the Ring a heck of a lot more cars would have to go than just the GT3s. That would also kill SP7 and the Porsche Cup class. Altogether that would probably mean that teams are looking at replacing 50 or 60 cars - I can't see that being done on a whim. Unless their hand was being forced, VLN would have to announce something like this two years in advance to give their customers (the teams!) a chance to prepare for the change over and get some mileage out of their old cars before they become obsolete.
Oh, I certainly didn't mean overnight, but I agree that it's not the most likely scenario.
Old 8 Feb 2017, 00:09 (Ref:3710834)   #391
Bcarr6
Veteran

GT4 - The future...?

It's a sure thing, Camaro GT4!

https://twitter.com/teamchevy/status/829110839399493632

Old 8 Feb 2017, 14:27 (Ref:3710970)   #392
Bcarr6
Veteran

And here's the first official pic and press release. Stevenson and Black Dog at PWC next month

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/ctscc/c...-camaro-gt4-r/

Old 8 Feb 2017, 15:49 (Ref:3710982)   #393
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
GTS in PWC is shaping up nicely, looking forward to see the new cars in action next month!

Now we need the new BMW and Mercedes cars to join as well.
Old 8 Feb 2017, 18:13 (Ref:3710997)   #394
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Quote:
Hearing there might be an update about this at the end of this month.
Old 8 Feb 2017, 22:21 (Ref:3711053)   #395
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Now we just need Chrysler to throw their hat in the ring.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 08:41 (Ref:3711155)   #396
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Now we just need Chrysler to throw their hat in the ring.

Their smallest model is the 200? Hardly a GT car

Old 9 Feb 2017, 10:39 (Ref:3711180)   #397
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Their smallest model is the 200? Hardly a GT car
I was hinting that they should be doing the Challenger. Ford's doing the Mustang, GM's doing the Camaro. If Chrysler pops on, we not only get a fresh war of the pony cars, but they at the same time get to do battle with some big names in the sportscar and track day special markets. That's TWO battles I'd love to see go on at the same time.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 13:40 (Ref:3711219)   #398
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
I was hinting that they should be doing the Challenger. Ford's doing the Mustang, GM's doing the Camaro. If Chrysler pops on, we not only get a fresh war of the pony cars, but they at the same time get to do battle with some big names in the sportscar and track day special markets. That's TWO battles I'd love to see go on at the same time.

Duh, I thought you meant Chrysler directly not Dodge.

That battle would be immense.

I would love to see the challenger in GT4, and a new GT3 Viper back

But that's wishful thinking maybe!!

Old 9 Feb 2017, 13:58 (Ref:3711222)   #399
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Challenger is hardly a good platform for building a GT racer from I think. It's quite old really, and quite heavy. If I remember correctly, when Blackforest tried to run the car in GS they really struggled to get weight out of the car and, if I'm thinking of the right car, had to also have a special aluminum block based engine built for it for it as apparently the 3rd gen Hemi wasn't a good basis for building a reliable road racing motor.

I also think that Chrysler themselves would have no interest in it either, as they don't seem at all interested in trying to make it an even halfway decent "sporty car". While Chevy and Ford actually have track packages and work on chassis development and such, Dodge just throws a supercharger on it and gives it an extreme sounding name to give it "badass points" and totally ignore all other aspects of performance.

Next Challenger isn't even supposed to be unveiled until 2020 or something like that, so I don't see anything happening with it any time soon.

I'd love to be wrong though, that rivalry would be great for North American racing I think, and if promoted correctly could help put eyes on the series.

Last edited by Accident; 9 Feb 2017 at 14:05.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 14:26 (Ref:3711225)   #400
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
The Challenger is hardly a good platform for building a GT racer from I think. It's quite old really, and quite heavy. If I remember correctly, when Blackforest tried to run the car in GS they really struggled to get weight out of the car and, if I'm thinking of the right car, had to also have a special aluminum block based engine built for it for it as apparently the 3rd gen Hemi wasn't a good basis for building a reliable road racing motor.

I also think that Chrysler themselves would have no interest in it either, as they don't seem at all interested in trying to make it an even halfway decent "sporty car". While Chevy and Ford actually have track packages and work on chassis development and such, Dodge just throws a supercharger on it and gives it an extreme sounding name to give it "badass points" and totally ignore all other aspects of performance.

Next Challenger isn't even supposed to be unveiled until 2020 or something like that, so I don't see anything happening with it any time soon.

I'd love to be wrong though, that rivalry would be great for North American racing I think, and if promoted correctly could help put eyes on the series.

Totally agree with the sensibilities of your points

If it was feasible it'd be great, but your more than likely right about it being too heavy. Driven one for a few weeks and they are tanks.

But hey, the Viper would be a nice GT4, but that's probably not going to happen either

Chrysler if you're listening, get on board!