Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 9 Jun 2011, 17:36 (Ref:2894505)   #1776
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
I don't believe it's been mentioned in the IndyCar forum, but the DeltaWing will race after all, at the Le Mans 24 Hours in 2012:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-24-hour-race/
That's certainly an interesting development.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 17:06 (Ref:2904817)   #1777
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dan Wheldon/Bryan Herta Autosport to test the 2012 chassis.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92539
Old 29 Jun 2011, 09:47 (Ref:2907842)   #1778
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So are there any rumors of teams having to drop out because they can't afford to buy the new car? Or maybe interest from possible new teams for next year?

I hope they can keep the numbers up.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 11:58 (Ref:2907909)   #1779
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
So are there any rumors of teams having to drop out because they can't afford to buy the new car? Or maybe interest from possible new teams for next year?

I hope they can keep the numbers up.
That's a good question. As far as I know, no one has said they are dropping out, however I'm sure a number of teams are waiting to see what the outcome is of the tests with the new car.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 18:03 (Ref:2926695)   #1780
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Here's the latest from Tony Cotman:

http://www.racer.com/q-a-with-tony-c...rticle/202369/
Old 14 Jul 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2926741)   #1781
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Here's the latest from Tony Cotman:

http://www.racer.com/q-a-with-tony-c...rticle/202369/
The latest?

That dates from May.

Since then there has been nothing but silence. Here we are mid July and after 3 years of farting around and tons of blogs, speeches, interviews and various other blowhard activities, there is no sign of engines, aero kits and the chassis. Last I heard the dallara factory site in indy was still empty.

Champcar and Panoz designed, built a prototype, went testing with Roberto Moreno, all within a few months with subsequent deliveries to teams afterward.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 21:15 (Ref:2926800)   #1782
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
The latest?

That dates from May.

Since then there has been nothing but silence. Here we are mid July and after 3 years of farting around and tons of blogs, speeches, interviews and various other blowhard activities, there is no sign of engines, aero kits and the chassis. Last I heard the dallara factory site in indy was still empty.

Champcar and Panoz designed, built a prototype, went testing with Roberto Moreno, all within a few months with subsequent deliveries to teams afterward.
Sorry about that. It takes a little longer for info to filtre through to this side of the pond.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 14 Jul 2011 at 21:20.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 03:21 (Ref:2926906)   #1783
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Robin Miller said yesterday in his mailbag he expects 22 new cars next season, personally I feel that's a little high. Not that I doubt him. That means over 40 cars need to be built between now and then assuming most teams buy a spare per entry??
Old 15 Jul 2011, 20:29 (Ref:2927211)   #1784
Ken_T
Rookie

United States
Texas
Ken_T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
The latest?

That dates from May.

Right on!! I miss the DP01.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 13:52 (Ref:2932682)   #1785
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first proper picture of the car. It will test on August 8-9, and the car will be revealed after the test.

http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-...on-track-test/
Old 29 Jul 2011, 14:15 (Ref:2932699)   #1786
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
The first proper picture of the car. It will test on August 8-9, and the car will be revealed after the test.

http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-...on-track-test/
According to that article it's still a prototype and the car looks remarkably like the car that was on display at Indy this year in the bottom of the second picture.

If I remember rightly most fans preferred the car at the top of the pic and wanted to see the airbox got rid of.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 22:44 (Ref:2939092)   #1787
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I don't know if anyone has read this but here's the latest on the new car, after Dan Wheldon tested a prototype at Mid-plus some interesting comments from fans:

http://www.racer.com/wheldon-debuts-.../%2520/http://
Old 14 Aug 2011, 19:22 (Ref:2939608)   #1788
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So don't know if it is back to the drawing board or not but, the chassis and aero kits were supposed to be introduced in 2012, but on Sunday August 14th, 2011 IndyCar officials announced that introduction of the aero kits would be delayed until 2013.

Read: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...will_dela.html and the beat goes on.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 03:20 (Ref:2939744)   #1789
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow that is just disgusting management.
2012 no real 'new car' then. try an interim year then- run a dallara- or the 'new chassis' , stick any engine in there and race until this rules fiasco comes about. just let them run what may and see what happens. i bet they can find fuel injecedt crate engines in the back of a number of chassis that will out run and out last for a pittance compared to the 'cost effective' 2.2 liter v6 turbo.
just 1 season of madness let's see how that works.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 11:58 (Ref:2939914)   #1790
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
wow that is just disgusting management.
2012 no real 'new car' then. try an interim year then- run a dallara- or the 'new chassis' , stick any engine in there and race until this rules fiasco comes about. just let them run what may and see what happens. i bet they can find fuel injecedt crate engines in the back of a number of chassis that will out run and out last for a pittance compared to the 'cost effective' 2.2 liter v6 turbo.
just 1 season of madness let's see how that works.
This smells of Penske's doing. He was bleating earlier on this season, when the new cars were shown at Indy, how he didn't want to run the aero-kits next year because of the extra cost and therefore wanted them delayed by a year.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 14:32 (Ref:2940001)   #1791
gttouring
Veteran

Come on penske. If this is true ...really? He is past the time in his business life where a million dollars will make an unsuccessful venture.grid worth at last check- 2005 around 10.5 billionUSDollars that is a lot anywhere and any time in history. What is he whining about? Of coursethere was the Renske (penske run reynard chassis) he may be buying his own time for penske aero bits....still grow a pair and dont fine Will Power, Indy car should stop pretending to have class.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 16:47 (Ref:2940076)   #1792
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Penske was also the only guy smart enough to come out in favor of retrofitting the existing chassis with the new power plants as an interim step to defray the investment cost.

Of course that also would have lead to some real diversity on the grid. I read that somewhere. Two years ago.

What you won't read is that all the other owners...the ones who are whining about the cost of transition to all new gear...they all shot it down to the ICONIC committee.

Now the new cars they demanded will all be nearly identical in performance and appearance, and the only investment that won't be a total waste will be their inventory of dampers and wheels.

Brilliant.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 16:02 (Ref:2941773)   #1793
gttouring
Veteran

I don't see why not run both together next year.. they got nothing to lose
Old 16 Aug 2011, 18:54 (Ref:2941835)   #1794
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Except that the new car is supposed to be significantly faster, and is designed for both road courses and ovals. Ballasting up the new cars to keep the old ones in the game would rather defeat the point of even having new cars. And I don't think you could make the old cars properly competitive with the new ones in "unrestricted" form, especially on non-ovals.

It occurs to me that maybe the other aero kit makers intentionally want to leave a year, to see how the Dallara goes, and use them as a guinea pig so that the 2013 kits will be better. Given how political and "convenient" decisions in much of racing have become, I wouldn't put it past Lola, Swift, or Penske to do something like that.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 21:13 (Ref:2941875)   #1795
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Except that the new car is supposed to be significantly faster, and is designed for both road courses and ovals. Ballasting up the new cars to keep the old ones in the game would rather defeat the point of even having new cars. And I don't think you could make the old cars properly competitive with the new ones in "unrestricted" form, especially on non-ovals.

It occurs to me that maybe the other aero kit makers intentionally want to leave a year, to see how the Dallara goes, and use them as a guinea pig so that the 2013 kits will be better. Given how political and "convenient" decisions in much of racing have become, I wouldn't put it past Lola, Swift, or Penske to do something like that.
I seriously doubt Lola and Swift give a damn about all this. The costs of R&D and paying the irl tax will negate any revenue generated. If it was a whole car, fine, but some body panels forget it. In fact I believe I heard a representative from Lola say they don't give a rip about these stupid rules.

They have bigger fish to fry building UAVs, race cars, parts and a whole long list of technology and manufacturing services for car manufacturers, aerospace manufacturers etc.

As I pointed out many moons ago, the dallara has set dimensions with set attachment points for body work. I'm no engineer, I've done some driving myself, I read the trade mags like Race car Engineering and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but with what I know, there are only so many working combinations you are going to be able to craft from those set points, especially to do so safely at 230 mph.

I think all the tenderloin eaters had these absurd fantasies of all this lurid bodywork that would be created, but I don't think that is going to be the reality with a car that needs to punch through the air at 230 mph and stay on the ground.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 21:19 (Ref:2941876)   #1796
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
Penske was also the only guy smart enough to come out in favor of retrofitting the existing chassis with the new power plants as an interim step to defray the investment cost.

Of course that also would have lead to some real diversity on the grid. I read that somewhere. Two years ago.

What you won't read is that all the other owners...the ones who are whining about the cost of transition to all new gear...they all shot it down to the ICONIC committee.

Now the new cars they demanded will all be nearly identical in performance and appearance, and the only investment that won't be a total waste will be their inventory of dampers and wheels.

Brilliant.
This should be a lesson to those of what happens when a race car is essentially designed by a committee and other meddling.

It should have been like the old days of CART. Here are the rules for chassis and engines, hand out the rule book to everyone and whoever wants to build something can.

The way the irl did it was designed to scalp revenue off the end result and also opened it up to corruption and raping of taxpayers via the $5 million they scalped off the state.
Old 17 Aug 2011, 10:22 (Ref:2942029)   #1797
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bridge to nowhere.
Old 17 Aug 2011, 17:49 (Ref:2942195)   #1798
gttouring
Veteran

Good points especially on the set chassis attachment point. It would not kill dallara to build a driver cell and hve builders use that to construct the car around. Rather than what they are doing building 2/3rds of a car and let someone else finish it. FROM A front 1/4 shot the new car looks okay.. but I recall the word crap wagon tossed around.
Old 19 Aug 2011, 04:21 (Ref:2942796)   #1799
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I would like to believe that.