Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Aug 2018, 14:17 (Ref:3846734)   #1
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
British GP BTCC Support

Just something I'm curious about. Why did the BTCC stop supporting the British GP after 96? It's something I've never read a reason for. Anyone remember?
Old 28 Aug 2018, 14:20 (Ref:3846736)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The BTCC was big enough to survive on its own and didn't want to play "second fiddle" any longer to the F1 circus.
Old 28 Aug 2018, 17:55 (Ref:3846759)   #3
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Basically because of TV. Bernie Ecclestone claimed the TV rights for anything appearing on the F1 meeting. This was an issue as, at the time, the BBC had exclusive rights to the entirety of the BTCC season. Therefore, the BTCC would have needed to have breached this contract to race alongside the F1.
Old 28 Aug 2018, 22:26 (Ref:3846799)   #4
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
with the existing F1 support of GP3, GP2/F2 whatever they call it now and Porsches, there wouldn't be room for local national series on the bill i wouldn't think
Old 29 Aug 2018, 08:37 (Ref:3846833)   #5
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Am I right in saying that nowadays there is no more track action after the Grand Prix?
When I was a regular visitor to the British GP the Touring cars were after the GP, and then the final race of the day was for Historics. This had the added bonus of staggering the leaving time which helped reduce congestion in the car parks too.
Old 29 Aug 2018, 08:41 (Ref:3846834)   #6
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
with the existing F1 support of GP3, GP2/F2 whatever they call it now and Porsches, there wouldn't be room for local national series on the bill i wouldn't think
There's plenty of space in the timetable for other sessions, believe me!

When F1 goes down under they manage to fit a Supercars race in on both Saturday and Sunday. OK, the Porsche Supercup doesn't travel that far (I don't think) so that gives extra room.

Does anyone know what appears on the F1 bill outside of the European races? It's not something I've ever pondered.
Old 29 Aug 2018, 08:43 (Ref:3846836)   #7
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Am I right in saying that nowadays there is no more track action after the Grand Prix?
Correct.

There's the podium, and spectators are allowed on track for that so that's the end of the day for racing (and means us orange lot get to decamp at a reasonable time after being up since around 0500 on the Sunday).
Old 29 Aug 2018, 08:48 (Ref:3846837)   #8
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
There's plenty of space in the timetable for other sessions, believe me!

When F1 goes down under they manage to fit a Supercars race in on both Saturday and Sunday. OK, the Porsche Supercup doesn't travel that far (I don't think) so that gives extra room.

Does anyone know what appears on the F1 bill outside of the European races? It's not something I've ever pondered.
outside europe and middle east, none of the normal GP support races appear - no F2, GP3, Supercup etc etc.
Old 29 Aug 2018, 08:57 (Ref:3846839)   #9
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not sure what BTCC would gain from being on the F1 billing. Would you also therefore want the full package of clio, ginetta jnr etc? The series is too strong to be a sideshow act
Old 29 Aug 2018, 09:17 (Ref:3846841)   #10
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
I'm not sure what BTCC would gain from being on the F1 billing. Would you also therefore want the full package of clio, ginetta jnr etc? The series is too strong to be a sideshow act
I agree but what surprises me is that Supercars do support round at Australian GP and if BTCC is too strong to be a sideshow act, then tell me what Supercars is!
Old 29 Aug 2018, 09:32 (Ref:3846847)   #11
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
I agree but what surprises me is that Supercars do support round at Australian GP and if BTCC is too strong to be a sideshow act, then tell me what Supercars is!
non of the normal f1 support races are there. so they fill the australian gp timetable with all local series like supercars, gt, carerra cup etc
Old 29 Aug 2018, 11:42 (Ref:3846862)   #12
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
But what will btcc gain from it
Old 29 Aug 2018, 11:55 (Ref:3846863)   #13
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The discussion is rather pointless because the two championships are contracted to two different broadcasters, and, certainly in the past, FOM required far too much money for TOCA to afford just to show one race.

And it must be born in mind that FOM are responsible for providing the broadcasting feeds, so ITV would have no directorial control over any live pictures. It would all be at the discretion of the FOM appointed director/producer. And ITV would have to pay to get access to the pits, etc., and so on and so forth.

I seem to recall these issues being the primary reason why BTCC are no longer on the Silverstone race programme.
Old 29 Aug 2018, 15:28 (Ref:3846901)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Some years ago it was suggested / rumoured that the BTCC was to return to the British GP schedule.
Old 29 Aug 2018, 16:15 (Ref:3846909)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Thanks for the answers. Makes sense that it's a broadcasting issue. I remember they couldn't show any of the 1996 meeting on the season review video.

And yes they did try to have a non championship race in 04, but IIRC there was a dispute between Gow and the teams that meant it didn't go ahead
Old 29 Aug 2018, 17:52 (Ref:3846930)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, see this link

https://www.crash.net/btcc/news/8024...p-support-race
Old 29 Aug 2018, 18:02 (Ref:3846932)   #17
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
yes i remember that. gow did a deal to appear at the GP but some teams who formed a teams group tried to demand that silverstone pay for them to race at the GP. so the race was cancelled. and that teams group broke up the next year anyway. talk about shooting themselves in the foot!
Old 29 Aug 2018, 19:33 (Ref:3846947)   #18
S griffin
Veteran

And so Silverstone put the Maserati trophy in it’s place!
Old 29 Aug 2018, 19:40 (Ref:3846952)   #19
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 didn't want a local series, they wanted a support bill consistent in each country they could charge a manufacturer a huge fee to allow them to operate a championship (Porsche Supercup).
Old 29 Aug 2018, 21:03 (Ref:3846972)   #20
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
F1 didn't want a local series, they wanted a support bill consistent in each country they could charge a manufacturer a huge fee to allow them to operate a championship (Porsche Supercup).
that’s only true in europe and middle east
everywhere else they use local or regional series