Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 3 Dec 2001, 15:26 (Ref:181664)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Direct Comparison: IRL v. CART

There was a chance to see IRL and CART machines share the track this weekend as several teams from each series descended on Phoenix International Speedway. Ganassi, Mo Nunn Racing and Penske Racing were present along with Panther Racing's Sam Hornish and Kelley Racing's Scott Sharp. Gil deFerran, Brack, Tony Kanaan were present. So in effect two of the IRL's fastest were present with three of CART's fastest oval racers. Mike Hull(crew chief for Ganassi) noticed immediately the differences between the cars. The CART cars were as much as 25 miles per hour faster in the straight but were noticeably slower than the high downforce IRL cars in the corners. Obviously having an extra 150 horsepower makes up for the speed difference for the CART car and the huge wings helped the IRL cars through the corners.

Mo Nunn Honda Reynard: 20.3 with Tony Kanaan
Panther Racing Dallara Chevy: 20.4 with Sam Hornish
Target-Chip Ganassi Toyota Lola: 20.5 with Kenny Brack
Penske Dallara Chevy: 20.6 with Gil deFerran

Obviously on a one mile flat oval the are advantages and disadvantages each way. The CART cars ran with 35 in. of boost instead of CART mandates 34 in. to simulate the increases in power expected from Honda and Toyota.

I just wonder how well the highly developed CART chassis would run with the IRL spec engine.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 17:20 (Ref:181732)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I must say that the similarities in times between the two specs surprises me. I thought there'd be a much bigger gap. What also surprises me is that deFerran was testing a Dallara, as my intuition tells me that he'll still be in CART next year.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 17:50 (Ref:181743)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A lot can be chalked up the the track. Phoenix is a low bank 1 mile track. Even a CART car cannot stay on the throttle long enough to exhibit serious top end speed. Also, the IRL cars are mandated to run a wing set more akin to CART's road course equipment. The CART cars are required to run the very small front wings for ovals. The IRL cars probably had 50% more downforce than the CART cars.

Had this been at Fontana I think the difference would have been more like 8 to 10 seconds. At Texas last year the IRL cars averaged about 224 mph while Max Papis averaged over 235 mph. Imagine what deFerran, Andretti and Brack would have done had they been able to continue running there.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 19:32 (Ref:181797)   #4
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also feel that de Ferran will be in CART during 2002. I think he was getting in some testing time, ready for the 2002 Indy 500.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 21:09 (Ref:181836)   #5
Jimmyz360
Rookie

Jimmyz360 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the truth is there really isnt that much of a difference because to drop even a couple seconds around a race track means hundreds of horsepower. Just like in drag racing, people go its only a second how come they cant do it...funny cars have about 2k horsepower and run a second behind a 6k horsepower top fuel, the point is once u get that fast horsepower isnt everything. And especially on a 1 mile oval CART engines have to spool up because of their small displacement and turbos so they wont be as fast as you would think off the corners. Now if CART went to Indy on the 2.5 mile oval they would like set new records for speeds. The truth is CART is like Coke and when Pepsi (IRL)builds a very similar product and pawns it off of CART, it does put a dent in CART.
Old 3 Dec 2001, 23:07 (Ref:181904)   #6
nem
Rookie

nem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
KC-It was my understanding CART only requires the small dihedral wings on the superspeedways, not all their ovals. Do I have that wrong?
Old 4 Dec 2001, 04:26 (Ref:181966)   #7
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by nem
KC-It was my understanding CART only requires the small dihedral wings on the superspeedways, not all their ovals. Do I have that wrong?
"

CART changed their wing rules mid-season not only for the Michigan 500, but the european rounds as well. That doesn't include the rules changes involving the pop off valve spacer. I don't think even CART knows what their rules are. They are willing to change them at the drop of a hat. No wonder Honda lost confidence in them.
Old 4 Dec 2001, 14:08 (Ref:182074)   #8
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
I believe that CART ran the small oval wings on all oval tracks last year along with two or three versions of the Handford device. The last triack I remember CART using road course wings on was a few years ago at Nazareth.
Old 17 Dec 2001, 07:24 (Ref:186797)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Here's another interesting comparison between the two series.

Last year at Michigan for the 500, our tickets were $95 each. Needless to say I didn't bring the family.

This year at Michigan for the IRL 300, all grandstand tickets are $40, and children under 12 are free.

Know what? I'm going back to Michigan afterall. When I walked away from the place last year, it was with a tear in my eye, thinking I'd never see her again. I just wish the IRL was running a 500. Those extra two hundred miles amount to around eight or nine beers.
Old 17 Dec 2001, 10:46 (Ref:186842)   #10
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Those extra two hundred miles amount to around eight or nine beers."
- When you put it that way, it wont take them long to catch on...
Old 17 Dec 2001, 13:45 (Ref:186886)   #11
enzo
Racer

enzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously, the speed-slowing measures CART has mandated work. They were running low 20's 10 years ago, and were working on low 19's the last time they were there.

Had the measures not been instituted, they'd now be in the low 18's.

Scary.
Old 18 Dec 2001, 04:10 (Ref:187177)   #12
R_Mears_Fan
Rookie

R_Mears_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think TG is headed that way. Fontana is 400 miles, but plans are coming where more than one 500m race will be going by 2003. Indy/Michigan/Fontana. What a combo!