Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Mar 2006, 02:46 (Ref:1553324)   #1
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
AUS GP in AUS

Do we know who will be commentating this for us this year ?
Will we get ITV (+local gits), or will it be completely Local Gits ?

Cheers DKGandBH
Old 20 Mar 2006, 02:48 (Ref:1553328)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Aus GP in Aus......get away.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 03:45 (Ref:1553347)   #3
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKGandBH
Do we know who will be commentating this for us this year ?
Will we get ITV (+local gits), or will it be completely Local Gits ?

Cheers DKGandBH
Local Gits unfortunatly.........

Murray Walker was invited to call the race apparently, but turned it down and will just be a guest and do some interviews for them.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 05:26 (Ref:1553370)   #4
Meroo
Racer

Australia
South Coast NSW
Meroo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't mind Crompton, he seems to have more idea than James Allen anyway. His likely co-commentator, Diffy, I'm not so keen on.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 09:32 (Ref:1553672)   #5
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Happy enough for a live race and qualy that I don't care who calls it. It could be merv the perve from the local RSL for all I care...
Old 20 Mar 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1553900)   #6
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldnt mind calling a F1 race one day, I think id do a great job.

Keep the viewers informed and entertained at the same time.

I have a feeling id be banned from the airwaves though.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 10:35 (Ref:1553929)   #7
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Diffy and Crommley...Ill just d/l a dodgey torrent again
Old 20 Mar 2006, 10:39 (Ref:1553934)   #8
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I can't stand Neil 'I just got off the phone to Mark' Crompton... Leigh Diffy and Bill Woods are the best duo... Anything is better than 2002 for Channel 9 - Eddie McGuire and Darryl Eastlake.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 10:53 (Ref:1553946)   #9
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best of both worlds- Brundle and Crompton

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 20 Mar 2006, 11:06 (Ref:1554148)   #10
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I'm happy with Brundle and Allen. Yes, I am one of the few James Allen fans... I much prefer him than Ben Edwards. The guys voice drives me crazy!

Anyway, I don't have to worry - I'll be at the Grand Prix in Melbourne!
Old 20 Mar 2006, 12:48 (Ref:1554204)   #11
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85
I can't stand Neil 'I just got off the phone to Mark' Crompton... Leigh Diffy and Bill Woods are the best duo... Anything is better than 2002 for Channel 9 - Eddie McGuire and Darryl Eastlake.
Eddie and Darryl didnt call the race though, they left it to the experts. Pity 10 dont have the same common sense.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 14:44 (Ref:1554616)   #12
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Billy Woods isn't too bad in me humble opinion, because he's been around along time and covered many series with different co-presenters and guests. He brings his own personality to it without trying to upstage the actual race broadcast. Sometimes he will not say anything and its easy to imagine he is just watching the action himself (or pouring himself a coffee to wash down the No-Doze, or has maybe fallen asleep!) Nah, Billy's a trooper.

Cromley really knows his stuff, even a motorsport diehard would call him a techno-nerd. He is also quite happy to point out where Martin Brundle is being a ****** with his biased commentary which he is unable to disguise whenever a controversial pass is made or contact occurs.

I'd love to have that Jeremy what's-his-name who does the Champcar commentary, or the guys from SBS Speedweek who call the Drags and Sprintcars - they are great fun.

I reckon that the people on the inside of motorsport that call local and state racing love to talk about all the drivers, and there would never be a problem that we have with the ITV crew and their obsseions they develop over one or two drivers.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 23:51 (Ref:1555373)   #13
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember the "good ol' days" of the early to mid-90s (back when the GP was in Adelaide) and Ch. 9 had Sir Jackie Stewart with Alan Jones. Fairly high-powered commentary box, what with two world champions in the box.
Old 21 Mar 2006, 00:31 (Ref:1555379)   #14
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crompton I can put up with but Diffy is an oxygen thief
Old 22 Mar 2006, 15:09 (Ref:1557508)   #15
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As an interesting aside, I learnt that Sir Stewart suffers from an anxiety disorder, and that each of those TV presentations was really tough for him. I think he had to leave part way through on an occassion or two. If I remember correctly, he once commented that public speaking and TV presenting was more difficult/intimidating for him than climbing into his GP car for race day - where he felt entirely comfortably and had relief from anxiety while he was racing.

This kind of thing brings out the humanity of people who at other times seem super-human. It reminds me that everyone has there own journey to walk and on it troubles to overcome.
Old 23 Mar 2006, 11:15 (Ref:1558427)   #16
frederick
Rookie

frederick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Succinct, to the point and totally accurate
The perfect post! :-)
Old 23 Mar 2006, 12:43 (Ref:1558477)   #17
ausracefan
Rookie

Australia
Frankston
ausracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
I almost died when he was commentating the golf, my god can he fake enthusiasm. I didnt even sound like he knew what he was on about, it was just painful
Old 23 Mar 2006, 13:03 (Ref:1558498)   #18
Smurfer
Racer

Australia
Smurfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Woods and Crompton. Personally I find they provide more behind the scenes info than Brundle and Allen. In fact I struggle to listen to Brundle and Allen ramble on about Button and their other favourites.
Old 23 Mar 2006, 13:24 (Ref:1558517)   #19
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well ill be at the track so i couldn't care less.

But if I was behind the TV, id have Neil Crompton and Wayne from Speedweek, he seems to do an alright job with the local stuff.

Whats the point in having a co-commentator when you have Leigh Diffy, it takes him 5 sentances to say "welcome" and by the time he got the "gooooooo" part they would be halfway through their 5th lap.

I dont mind Bill Woods but he is pretty flat, and i dont believe he is an F1 guru-which you need.

But certainly, why cant they just have ITV?
Old 23 Mar 2006, 20:36 (Ref:1558961)   #20
sweetchuk
Racer

Australia
sweetchuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If there was a way to do it, I'd combine both Martin Brundle and Neil Crompton, to give both an experienced F1 perspective based on driver experience, and that of some journalistic credence combined with some driving.
I personally consider Mr Brundle's commentary (his British bias notwithstanding) as some of the more entertaining, complete and incisive F1 commentary to have piped down the airwaves, and Mr Crompton has quite a broad level of professional respect out there as well in this country.

That said, it's about as likely to happen as a Lotto win, and we will have to suffer through the excrutiatingly exuberant exhortations of Mr Diffey in some form or another again, much to our chagrin and everlasting sorrow.
Old 24 Mar 2006, 17:47 (Ref:1559776)   #21
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Martin Brundle was a good driver in very fast car - and he won Le Mans too after Tom Walkinshaw kicked Eliseo Salazar out of his Jaguar seat halfway through the race, to give Brundle the seat in the lead car to get a race win that he couldn't otherwise get. Salazar has never forgiven this and said it was effectively the end of his career. But general Brundle was quick right- this is usually agreed upon. But I have never, ever, heard him say anything insightful that I wasn't already going to work out anyway, or that is just passing on data or information from somewhere which just makes him a messenger - conveyer of information.

I think Brundle would quickly be shown up by Crompton, who is seriously intelligent, and has technical knowledge far beyond that of Brundle. Its clear that sometimes Crompton becomes irked by Brundle's odd comments, and he doesn't suffer fools and phonies well.

Put someone like Alex Zanardi on the commentary panel and I don't think Brundle would say a word, for he doesn't really have that same mental capacity.
Old 24 Mar 2006, 18:15 (Ref:1559793)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting.
Old 25 Mar 2006, 03:11 (Ref:1560040)   #23
Skam85
Veteran

I like Darryl Beattie, even though he is MotoGP, he could do a very good job of the F1 I think. He is very insightful, and easy to listen to.

I like Martin Brundle, but does he have to comment on the cars overheating on the grid every single race??
Old 3 Apr 2006, 14:29 (Ref:1569102)   #24
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Skam >> I agree. It is unfortunate that Daryl Beattie has such a monotone voice, if he had some coaching for this I think he would be terrific. I have noticed a slight improvement over the years, to his credit.