Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 May 2011, 23:27 (Ref:2887831)   #2851
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A low drag, open car and flexible turbo motor could be distinct advantages over cars that were designed for the previous P1 era.

Pretty much all the cars on the grid look the part, conforming to a now familiar design philosophy, but different is sometimes good.
Old 30 May 2011, 00:07 (Ref:2887855)   #2852
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
They already had the best petrol car, three years on the bounce, so much so Pescarolo was classifying them as yet another class seperate to petrol teams.
Yes, because they had a proven car (Lola) with a proven engine... now they had to start from scratch which is obviously too big of a task for them under the budget they´re operating.

Face it, this car will go nowhere. The design is just too flawed, both in terms of aerdynamics and engine layout... and don't take my word for it but listen to all the expert who agree.
Old 30 May 2011, 01:39 (Ref:2887878)   #2853
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If I knew what was so flawed I may agree, internet speculation doesn't count, the track record of Prodrive does.
Old 30 May 2011, 01:47 (Ref:2887880)   #2854
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If I knew what was so flawed I may agree, internet speculation doesn't count, the track record of Prodrive does.
Ulrich Baretzky isn't some keyboard jockey dummy. I'm sure he is confident in his criticism if he was willing to say what he said publicly.
Old 30 May 2011, 06:48 (Ref:2887946)   #2855
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
This is just my opinion and I could be WAY off, but I think AMR's strategy was to build a car that simply is the best petrol car (low hanging fruit aside from the HPD) and then complain and whine that the balancing was off and hope that the ACO would give them huge breaks to make them competitive with Audi and Peugeot.
Interestingly, I remember an interview with George Howard Chapell on RLM a couple of years ago concerning the Vantage GT2 program, and essentially he admitted that this is exactly what they had done with that car - develop it on the cheap, and get up to speed through lobbying and performance balancing. I get the impression that this is AMR's way of going racing, and I'm not quite sure I like it...
Old 30 May 2011, 08:32 (Ref:2887968)   #2856
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
In other news, the Kronos Lola-Aston's livery for Le Mans... http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...LolaKronos.jpg
Old 30 May 2011, 08:36 (Ref:2887971)   #2857
CTD
Subscriber
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
In other news, the Kronos Lola-Aston's livery for Le Mans... http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...LolaKronos.jpg
It's quite good looking!
But from i read, it's not completely done yet.
Old 30 May 2011, 10:38 (Ref:2888050)   #2858
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
It's quite good looking!
But from i read, it's not completely done yet.
Hope so, it could do with some nice coloured flashes around the side, would make it more interseting on photo!
Old 30 May 2011, 11:12 (Ref:2888065)   #2859
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Perhaps any forum member who happens to be driving down the M40 later this week could keep an eye open for an AMR transporter. Additionally anyone living on the east side of Banbury may be able to tell us something - or possibly even at Gaydon where they may do a shake-down prior to departure.

I, for one, will be pleased if they at least turn up at Le Mans. Proof of any progress will have to wait till Wednesday evening at LM
Old 30 May 2011, 11:34 (Ref:2888080)   #2860
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
It looks septic !!!
Old 30 May 2011, 12:26 (Ref:2888126)   #2861
acox93
Racer

United Kingdom
surrey
acox93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
Perhaps any forum member who happens to be driving down the M40 later this week could keep an eye open for an AMR transporter. Additionally anyone living on the east side of Banbury may be able to tell us something - or possibly even at Gaydon where they may do a shake-down prior to departure.

I, for one, will be pleased if they at least turn up at Le Mans. Proof of any progress will have to wait till Wednesday evening at LM
The trucks have already left!
Old 30 May 2011, 13:26 (Ref:2888151)   #2862
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by acox93 View Post
The trucks have already left!
In which case, it seems that the trucks are fitted with the same engines as the cars and will struggle to complete the distance to Le Mans.

It's a journey they should complete easily within 24 hours which begs the question : What are they doing between now and next weekend? Stopping off for more testing somewhere? Completing the build of the cars?

At least it's an indication that they intend to turn up at Le Mans.
Old 30 May 2011, 14:31 (Ref:2888183)   #2863
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Ulrich Baretzky isn't some keyboard jockey dummy. I'm sure he is confident in his criticism if he was willing to say what he said publicly.
Baretzky knows as much about the engine as you or I, it's a straight-six turbo, working on a BMW motor thirty years ago has little relevance.

Engine choice is as much a marketing decision as engineering, Audi's big, heavy V12 TDI was a backwards step from the 3.6T V8 FSI, but favourable regs ensured Audi's marketing needs could be met.

Aston have the same needs, it's why any manufacturer competes, going the turbo route is also a sound choice, they have many performance and efficiency advantages over an atmo, and dominated Le Mans for the past thirty years.

Last edited by JAG; 30 May 2011 at 14:37.
Old 30 May 2011, 14:50 (Ref:2888189)   #2864
Samoan Attorney
Racer

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Baretzky knows as much about the engine as you or I, it's a straight-six turbo, working on a BMW motor thirty years ago has little relevance.
That is a staggering assertion. Dr. Ulrich Baretzky is Audi Sports' Head of Engine Technology. This is not an accident, it is because he is one of the best in the business.

As a person I found that he will say what he thinks and is able to back that up with facts and genuine achievements. While technology has improved over the years, the laws of physics remain constant.

It is correct that Audi's marketing needs and laws regarding future fuel efficiency from our masters at the EU are also factors but there is little point in having a marketing driven solution to a problem if that solution does not work in the real world.

Quite why AMR chose the straight six engine configuration will become clear with the passage of time but any rational examination of the evidence available is that they are going to struggle to be competitive at Le Mans in a few weeks. That will be a pity as having them being able to race head to head with Audi and Peugeot would add to the spectacle.
Old 30 May 2011, 16:11 (Ref:2888233)   #2865
Le Vieux
Veteran

I'm not a mechanical engineer, but was brought up to believe that a straight six was the perfectly balanced engine. Quotes from those high up in Audi seem to say the contrary, which leads me to believe that perhaps there's an attempt going on to sow a seed of doubt in Aston-Martin's minds.

Both Porsche and Jaguar managed to run successfully with six-cylinder engines, Jag's of course being an in-line six. Doubtless others more knowledgeable than I can add to that small list.

A quote from Wikipedia:
"An inline six engine is in perfect primary and secondary mechanical balance, without the use of a balance shaft. The engine is in primary balance because the front and rear trio of cylinders are mirror images, and the pistons move in pairs. That is, piston #1 balances #6, #2 balances #5, and #3 balances #4, largely eliminating the polar rocking motion that would otherwise result. Secondary imbalance is avoided because an inline six cylinder crankshaft has six crank throws arranged in three planes offset at 120°. The result is that differences in piston speed at any given point in rotation are effectively canceled."