Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Mar 2023, 06:30 (Ref:4148758)   #726
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
The point was that you can’t just copy something from another car, like the sidepods etc. The integration into your total package is much more important than that.
Thus Merc copying what they can see of the RB floor/pods just won’t work for them without an enormous amount of work - which will take time. A lot of time.
Old 22 Mar 2023, 08:34 (Ref:4148762)   #727
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The big issue will be after all this bullish talk if they roll out these new side pods and it goes slower... AM tried to copy the RBR concept last year mid season and it didnt exactly set the world on fire....
Old 22 Mar 2023, 09:22 (Ref:4148767)   #728
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Those 142 floors exist in the virtual realm, there are probably only slight tweaks between each iteration.

I've heard that they often used to 3D print several dozen iterations of a particular part and if the first few didn't show promise,the entire batch was binned.Which made me wonder if there might have been combinations of those discarded parts that would have worked better than the chosen solution at each of several stages.I suppose we shall never know,but it does make me wonder if a potential championship winner found it's way to the skip and I suppose the waste of material,time and energy is quite sad too.
Old 22 Mar 2023, 09:29 (Ref:4148769)   #729
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
I could have been clearer I suppose. 142 designs, 142 CFD tested, it was something around 20 scale built and run in the tunnel, 2 built and put on car.
Old 22 Mar 2023, 09:52 (Ref:4148770)   #730
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It makes sense them trying out different design techniques, especially on CFD. You do wonder how Merc got it so wrong. However I'm sure they will recover in time
Old 22 Mar 2023, 20:58 (Ref:4148851)   #731
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVKSS View Post
The big issue will be after all this bullish talk if they roll out these new side pods and it goes slower... AM tried to copy the RBR concept last year mid season and it didnt exactly set the world on fire....
it didn't, but it was a marked improvement on their early season form and now look at them
Old 24 Mar 2023, 00:42 (Ref:4148978)   #732
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Thus Merc copying what they can see of the RB floor/pods just won’t work for them without an enormous amount of work - which will take time. A lot of time.
With all sorts of legitimately wondering... How did Aston pull this off in implementing the red bull side pods? Not sure if I've read stories incorrectly but it's sounded like AM has basically incorporated RB concepts best and wound up with Alonso placing as expected the last two races.
Old 24 Mar 2023, 00:59 (Ref:4148980)   #733
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
With all sorts of legitimately wondering... How did Aston pull this off in implementing the red bull side pods? Not sure if I've read stories incorrectly but it's sounded like AM has basically incorporated RB concepts best and wound up with Alonso placing as expected the last two races.
They hired Newey’s right hand man, that’s how.
Old 27 Mar 2023, 07:17 (Ref:4149319)   #734
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
How did Aston pull this off in implementing the red bull side pods? Not sure if I've read stories incorrectly but it's sounded like AM has basically incorporated RB concepts best and wound up with Alonso placing as expected the last two races.
It's simple, the Aston Martin is a well-designed car: it has good downforce, good handling: it's consistent, it's predictable, it's "lovely to drive" as Alonso says himself. It's a little bit draggy compared to Red Bull, but not too bad.

The Mercedes is not that much slower, however by the team and drivers own admission it lacks downforce and the handling isn't that great (the rear end is unstable in medium and high speed corners, while their tyre wear advantage from 2022 seems to have disappeared).

Saying the Aston Martin's "Red Bull" sidepods are the key to its speed is selling it short, it's a well designed car in every area -- in any case, the Aston Martin's sidepods are more similar to the 2022 Alpine than the 2022 Red Bull anyway!

[By well designed, its the usual things: the centre of pressure is consistent there are no weird balance shifts etc, the suspension handles the tyres well and so on.]

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 27 Mar 2023 at 07:24.
Old 27 Mar 2023, 08:03 (Ref:4149321)   #735
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
RB have Newey and thus an access to a level of knowledge and experience other teams dont have.
Newey was allowed to go away and design the Aston Martin Valkyrie for Red Bull Technologies. A car that utilises technology that just so happened to be what the new F1 technical regulations are about. They even had Max Verstappen testing it at Silverstone.

I don't think it's a huge coincidence that the team that developed a ground effect car in its "spare" time has produced the best ground effect car.
Old 29 Mar 2023, 08:06 (Ref:4149559)   #736
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Newey was allowed to go away and design the Aston Martin Valkyrie for Red Bull Technologies. A car that utilises technology that just so happened to be what the new F1 technical regulations are about.
Ah. This would also explain Aston Martin's success.
Old 29 Mar 2023, 08:15 (Ref:4149560)   #737
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Ah. This would also explain Aston Martin's success.
That and also the AMF1 recruitment this time last year of Dan Fallows, in effect from a position of Newey's sidekick at Red Bull... I think officially Fallows was the Aerodynamics Team Leader of Red Bull back in 2006 to Aero Chief by the time he left last year. Fallows is now Chief Technical Officer at AMF1.

So little surprise it has shall we call them, RB characteristics.
Old 29 Mar 2023, 10:39 (Ref:4149579)   #738
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, I think Fallows deserves credit for the RBRs he's created. It wasn't just down to Newey. And now he's doing his magic on the AMs
Old 29 Mar 2023, 10:42 (Ref:4149581)   #739
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
That and also the AMF1 recruitment this time last year of Dan Fallows, in effect from a position of Newey's sidekick at Red Bull... I think officially Fallows was the Aerodynamics Team Leader of Red Bull back in 2006 to Aero Chief by the time he left last year. Fallows is now Chief Technical Officer at AMF1.

So little surprise it has shall we call them, RB characteristics.

Or DNA?
Old 29 Mar 2023, 14:55 (Ref:4149604)   #740
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
has Fallows been there long enough though to have affected the design of this year's AM? their ability to develop over the season tho will be telling and then to see how much of this years car carries over to next season?
Old 29 Mar 2023, 19:16 (Ref:4149630)   #741
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mercedes could be back sooner than you think, if there is any truth that Newey might be going to Merc. He has been seen looking at their car.
Old 29 Mar 2023, 20:38 (Ref:4149639)   #742
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Mercedes could be back sooner than you think, if there is any truth that Newey might be going to Merc. He has been seen looking at their car.
Damon Hill sees Newey looking at the Mercedes front wing and comes to the inescapable conclusion that... Newey is looking to move to Mercedes!

Wouldn't the more obvious answer be that he is just looking at competitor cars to see what ideas they have come up with? Someone needs to find and post the no doubt dozens and dozens of photos of Newey taking a peek at other cars on the grid.

Richard
Old 29 Mar 2023, 20:59 (Ref:4149640)   #743
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Newey clearly moving to AM to soak up that Stroll money...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozviY0yQE0E

As to Newey's future. Who knows. Noise about him stepping back has been going on for awhile. I can imagine he is bored with F1. That he doesn't have much left to prove. And that new challenges are likely found outside of F1. I would be shocked if he moves to another F1 team.

Richard
Old 29 Mar 2023, 21:15 (Ref:4149641)   #744
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Newey clearly moving to AM to soak up that Stroll money...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozviY0yQE0E

As to Newey's future. Who knows. Noise about him stepping back has been going on for awhile. I can imagine he is bored with F1. That he doesn't have much left to prove. And that new challenges are likely found outside of F1. I would be shocked if he moves to another F1 team.

Richard

He took a step back from F1 in 2015, to head up Red Bull Advanced Technologies and design the Ben Ainslie Racing Ltd, America's Cup boat.
Old 30 Mar 2023, 00:20 (Ref:4149646)   #745
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
He took a step back from F1 in 2015, to head up Red Bull Advanced Technologies and design the Ben Ainslie Racing Ltd, America's Cup boat.
Right. None of this is new. When Newey was a free agent circa 2014 it seemed that Red Bull was able to keep him tied up by offering him not just money, but options outside of F1. If I remember correctly, there was lots of talk 2015+ about how much Newey was actually involved with the F1 side vs. his other projects. That some speculation was that it was less about needing Newey for the team, but rather to keep him away from other teams (I think it was two birds and one stone as they wanted him AND having him kept him out of the hands of other teams). I seem to remember talk about Newey no longer attending races (or having a limited schedule of attending) as evidence of his reduced participation.

I assume that Newey's time devoted to the F1 side has been variable up/down depending upon what else he has going on. I have no idea what all he might be doing these days (Is he still participating in America's Cup?). But they say his contract is up this year? So the question is.. What does Newey want? I can fully buy in that he wants "A new challenge". I have a hard timing thinking that would be bringing another F1 team to the front. Because from his perspective, what would a new team provide (mentally) that Red Bull can't from an F1 perspective. I doubt it's that RBR is say "no" to his ideas and the only way to realize them is elsewhere? I would assume that this is going to again be a question of what someone can offer him outside of F1.

I can try to put myself in his shoes, but it would be me projecting my thoughts onto him. And if I do that, I think "why might I want to go to another team?" The thing that would come to my mind is not to help a giant like Mercedes or Ferrari. But to help a small team like Williams. Do it for the fun and not the money. Do it as an F1 swan song. Do it before leaving the sport to do stuff totally away from F1.

Back to reality...

Given the long relationship with Red Bull, they should be in the position to understand his wants/needs more than anyone. The team is winning and winning is fun. So he might be motivated to stay. So I expect it's their game to lose at this point. And... Newey is in an excellent negotiating position. All of this speculation can do nothing by help reinforce his hand.

But who knows other than Newey himself? This is ALL speculation. Including the Mercedes move based upon Newey looking at the Mercedes car?

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 30 Mar 2023 at 00:25.
Old 30 Mar 2023, 00:45 (Ref:4149647)   #746
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Right.

None of this is new.....
Back to reality...

Given the long relationship with Red Bull, they should be in the position to understand his wants/needs more than anyone. The team is winning and winning is fun. So he might be motivated to stay. So I expect it's their game to lose at this point. And... Newey is in an excellent negotiating position. All of this speculation can do nothing by help reinforce his hand.

But who knows other than Newey himself? This is ALL speculation. Including the Mercedes move based upon Newey looking at the Mercedes car?

Richard
I totally agree Richard.
Miles of speculation but really Newey will make up his own mind.
He is the best aero guy in F1, with experience from a career in March Indy cars in CART days to the present.
He has enough money.
If he wants a challenge away from RBR he will decide what it is and when.
RBR would rather keep him away from other teams then let him loose with the opposition.
Old 30 Mar 2023, 01:38 (Ref:4149650)   #747
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Given the cap rules and remuneration of top personnel excluded…would be a lot of effort and cost to keep someone on at that level and not have them contributing massively no?
Old 30 Mar 2023, 08:40 (Ref:4149660)   #748
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just a few things that I seem to recall about Newey's past and present.

Firstly, don't forget that he has already worked for both Williams and then McLaren. During his latter years working under Ron Dennis, there was an ongoing saga over whether he was going to leave or not, with assurances given and not then kept.

Suddenly, Red Bull announced that Newey would be joining them at the beginning of the new year, and it transpired that the financial inducement was one that couldn't be ignored or not taken up.

Then, about 8 or 9 years ago, Newey started to get itchy feet again and so began some very serious financial and technical talks with the upper echelon at RBR, resulting, or so I believe, Newey becoming an independent contractor (maybe causing Red Bull to have problems filing their accounts with the FIA?) but with a long dated contract with RBR. This permitted him to carry out work outside F1, such as the America's Cup and Aston Martin road car. He also creates cars for historic racing such as a GT40 and an E-Type, which he sometimes raced himself, although I very much doubt that they would meet the strict FIA regulations that some race organisers deem to be required.

Anyway, he is both getting on in years but also very much his own man. He will end up doing what he wants and that might be going elsewhere for a challenge - something he has always cherished - or maybe he will just potter about in his garden.
Old 30 Mar 2023, 16:15 (Ref:4149702)   #749
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wonder how aerodynamic his garden is......?
Old 31 Mar 2023, 09:18 (Ref:4149760)   #750
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I wonder how aerodynamic his garden is......?
Maybe I need to check his book