Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 May 2005, 00:28 (Ref:1311189)   #76
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomike
So, let me get this straight, you don't attend supercar races? yet you are some how an expert on what "the people" want?! Hmmmm......
When have I said I am expert on what people want ? And how by not attending supercar races would that hinder or help my opinions ?

I have put up a scenario that I see would be a good thing for the NZ motorsport industry.
Old 27 May 2005, 03:27 (Ref:1311242)   #77
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3293865a10,00.html

Govt steps in to save supercars
27 May 2005

The Government has stepped in to keep V8 supercars racing in New Zealand, with conditional approval to let them use Whenuapai airbase.

This follows a threat by Australian supercar organisation Avesco, which says it has run its last race at Pukekohe, to quit New Zealand after bids to run the event in downtown Auckland and Wellington failed.

Defence Minister Mark Burton - reversing a previous decision - has let Whenuapai be available for up to 10 days a year for the New Zealand leg of the series.

But he said the Air Force must be able to reclaim the base at 24 hours' notice if a "significant emergency" arose.

He has indicated in a letter to Whenuapai town planner Pete Sinton, who has run a long campaign with motoring legend Frank Radisich to turn the base into a racetrack, that the event could stay there for six to seven years if tight conditions were met.

However, he said his first obligation was to ensure the operational integrity of Whenuapai as a military airbase, and the conditions for its use represented a clear "bottom line" for the Air Force.

Although Auckland Airport has offered to accommodate military aircraft during the races and their preparation and wind-up phases, Mr Burton said officials had deemed 10 days to be the maximum acceptable limit for the base to be operationally unavailable.

His u-turn followed the intervention of Prime Minister Helen Clark, after Mr Sinton and Mr Radisich sent her a detailed report on the benefits of keeping the races in Auckland.

This included confirmation by consultants Market Economics of an estimate extrapolated from Auckland City Council research that the event would pump an extra $46.5 million a year into the regional economy by attracting 150,000 spectators.

The report was accompanied by letters of support from Auckland City Mayor Dick Hubbard and Auckland Regional Council chairman Mike Lee.

Waitakere Mayor Bob Harvey reaffirmed his support last week, but only after acknowledging little prospect of persuading the Government to turn Whenuapai into a civilian airport in the near future.

Avesco would not comment directly on Mr Burton's decision, referring to a statement it issued yesterday announcing that its board had reconsidered its intention to quit New Zealand.

The board is understood to have received a copy of the decision during a critical meeting on the Gold Coast on Tuesday to set its annual racing calendar.

Mr Sinton said yesterday that Mr Burton's conditional approval was a major step forward, but it was too soon to break out the champagne.

"We have still got technical things to get over, but now. . .it will be up to Aucklanders to get behind."

He acknowledged strong concern by Avesco that 10 days would not be enough to prepare for and run the event, but said Whenuapai would be far easier to turn into a temporary racetrack than city streets.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 27 May 2005, 04:12 (Ref:1311249)   #78
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro

However, he said his first obligation was to ensure the operational integrity of Whenuapai as a military airbase,
Old 27 May 2005, 04:17 (Ref:1311251)   #79
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3293865a10,00.htmlHowever, he said his first obligation was to ensure the operational integrity of Whenuapai as a military airbase, .

Shouldn't his first obligation be to ensure the operational integrity of the planes themselves!
Old 27 May 2005, 09:19 (Ref:1311404)   #80
Antrodemus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington, NZ
Antrodemus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Our air force has planes???
Old 27 May 2005, 23:53 (Ref:1312081)   #81
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/newsdeta...?storyID=73470

Quote:
How do you know what races I do and dont attend.
I would not attend a V8 race, but an FIA GT event or a WTCC event I cant see a problem
Who said I was referring to the V8's ? What about the AMRS round or even the State series ?
Evomike knew where Im was coming from.

Old 28 May 2005, 00:37 (Ref:1312090)   #82
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxer

Who said I was referring to the V8's ? What about the AMRS round or even the State series ?
Evomike knew where Im was coming from.
I was refering to a New Zealand event. Thats where the v8 , FIA GT, WTCC conccecttion came from.

Falcadore knew where I was coming from.

Also Mixxer thankyou for making assumptions on my availability to attend motorsport events from the other side of a computer screen. With that attitiude you will go far.

Wasnt able to get AMRS Wakefield round due to the time/disatnce factor but very much planning on attending the Eastern Creek installment.
Old 28 May 2005, 00:58 (Ref:1312096)   #83
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
With that attitiude you will go far.
No Ive already been far, my life now revolves around my family and all the various type's of motorsport in Australia.
Old 28 May 2005, 03:15 (Ref:1312126)   #84
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The New Zealand Air Force ceased to be an Air Force when its fleet of superannuated Skyhawks were abandoned, in Australia no less. They are now a Government owned Air service which occasionally supports the Army.

Reclaim in the event of an emergency? Disaster relief can easily be accomodated elsewhere. Unless of course the Cook Islands decides to invade. Could be a drama then. Maybe Americans based in the Antartic territories might decide to reclaim Stewart Island.
Old 28 May 2005, 08:45 (Ref:1312247)   #85
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
We don't need an airforce,the Goverment passed a new law making it illegal to attack New Zealand,any country who does so risks a $5000 fine or 3 months in jail.

If Pukekohe wont do then we'll accept Whenuapai,now lets all get our **** together and make it happen please.
Old 29 May 2005, 03:48 (Ref:1312999)   #86
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
We don't need an airforce,the Goverment passed a new law making it illegal to attack New Zealand,any country who does so risks a $5000 fine or 3 months in jail.

If Pukekohe wont do then we'll accept Whenuapai,now lets all get our **** together and make it happen please.
Damn straight Armco. No self respecting lawyer for any Government would allow their miltary forces to invade NZ as its probably against our law due to the Resource Management Act, and who would want to read that.

My only concern is Whenuapai is a bit flat, no elevation any where
Old 31 May 2005, 06:06 (Ref:1315352)   #87
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you imagine trying to get approval for the invasion? Hmmmm, possible impact on any other parties? Where's my map of Iraq and Afghanistan gone? No, sorry, you can't do that, it might disturb my horse.
Old 31 May 2005, 07:31 (Ref:1315407)   #88
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would anyone be able to get resource consent for the invasion?
Old 31 May 2005, 07:34 (Ref:1315409)   #89
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanalised
My only concern is Whenuapai is a bit flat, no elevation any where
Not to sound like an old record, should some concern be directed at new zealand motorsports sustainability, if this race does infact move to an airbase
Old 31 May 2005, 21:58 (Ref:1316251)   #90
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Not to sound like an old record, should some concern be directed at new zealand motorsports sustainability, if this race does infact move to an airbase
No as Motorsport NZ said they don't need the V8's anyway. The NZV8's Touring cars are all they need apparantly.